Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Is it so, that calendar invitations from Mail can't be passed to Calendar automatically in Monterey, like it used to work before?
All I get is "Siri Suggestions" in Mail (and they are on in Preferences/Siri Suggestions/Mail), but that leads to that I have to manually click every suggestion for them to pop up in Calendar.

W00t?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Oh, well, guess I'm alone with this one.
How nice would it be, if I could just move this question to another group.
But it will be automatically detected as duplicate. So no go.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
when I receive a calendar invite by Mail and double click it, it opens in Calendar.
Mine too.
(Actually my mini2018 does that. My M1pro-mbp does not even show "siri suggestion", I don't know why, all settings are on.)

In Mojave, I did not have to do that.
When I went to Calendar, it asked automatically, which of them I'd accept.
Either Cal pulled them out of Mail or Mail pushed them to Cal.
It was automatical.
Now it's not, it's manual: You have to click open every mail and check if there's an invitation and if there is, then click "suggestion".
Idea with computers is that you can automate things you had to do manually before.
Not vice versa.

I do not seriously understand how much more backwards this development could have gone.
Just amazing.

Artiste212

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
Mine too.
(Actually my mini2018 does that. My M1pro-mbp does not even show "siri suggestion", I don't know why, all settings are on.)

It was automatical.
Now it's not, it's manual: You have to click open every mail and check if there's an invitation and if there is, then click "suggestion".
Idea with computers is that you can automate things you had to do manually before.
Not vice versa.

I do not seriously understand how much more backwards this development could have gone.
Just amazing.
If my memory serves me, this was done on purpose to reduce the proliferation of spam calendar invites people were receiving. In any even, this is now the standard behavior for other mail/calendar systems, including Outlook exchange.

Reactions: toke lahti

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Mine too.

It was automatical.
Not vice versa.

Just amazing.
Calendar invites I receive via email in Monterey still show up in the inbox in Calendar. I can accept from either the email or from the Calendar app as I always have.

Sometimes it takes a minute or so for the invite to pop up in Calendar and if the Calendar app isn't open I get a notification and can accept or decline from there.

In other words, it works as it always has for me.

Reactions: toke lahti

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Calendar invites I receive via email in Monterey still show up in the inbox in Calendar. I can accept from either the email or from the Calendar app as I always have.

Sometimes it takes a minute or so for the invite to pop up in Calendar and if the Calendar app isn't open I get a notification and can accept or decline from there.

In other words, it works as it always has for me.
What Mac?
On 12.2.1?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Oh well,
these again...

So we have 3 options:

#1 Everything works

#2 Manual Siri Suggestions

#3 Nothing at all (like with my M1pro14", also with 12.2.1, there isn't even Siri suggestion in a Mail with .ics attachment.

And of course Apple has nothing about this online.
And surprisinly the support is surprised and don't use calendar invites, since Apple has it's own internal systems and outside world is banned.

keithdoc

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
I have similar issue . . MBP Monterrey:
invites appear in inbox (they are NOT added automatically). I'll click them and they'll appear in calendar.

Then the next day, they disappear from calendar on my MBP
They are visible in my iPhone.
when I search in inbox, they are miraculously visible again as a suggestion.
Also have an issue where declined events do NOT show up in calendar on my MBP (despite setting to view them).

Calendar and mail have always been a PITA, but I use them to keep all my devices synced.
Weird it's good on one device, but not others . . c'mon Apple!!!!!

I did change the Calendar preference from "push" to fetch every 15 minutes. Unsure if this will be long term solution.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Apple's Support confirmed to me that their engineers had confirmed them, that the automation with invitations has been taken away (from Monterey's Mail v.16.0.)
So enjoy the siri suggestions and click open every mail and accept the invitations and have fun!

It is quite amazing that the automation still works for some, since it is officially discontinued.

I recommend send Apple two feedbacks:

Apple should start documenting the features they take away from their apps.
Now, not even Apple's support wasn't sure if the feature should be there or not.
Also, the support page for the app is lagging update.

Ask this automation back.
Even if Apple want's tu advertise Siri to their users, this kind of increase in manual labor does not increase the popularity of Siri.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.