Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appjun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
Hey guys, I bring the Calendar Island 🏝️ to you.

iOS 16 introduced Dynamic Island, while iOS 17 brought interactive buttons to it. As I often contemplate the significance of this prominent position on the iPhone, I couldn't help but wonder: what could be more important than having something substantial there? That's when the idea for this small app came up—leveraging the essentiality of Calendar and Reminders.

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 22.55.17.jpg

To tackle the challenge of content updates without relying on servers, I had to think creatively. While running the app in the background would solve the problem, it resulted in excessive battery consumption. To address this, I integrated some Shortcuts into this little toy, giving the power to the users to decide when to refresh the content. Users can set up their own automations within the Shortcuts app. One suggestion would be to trigger the 'Reload Content' shortcut when opening/closing specific apps (like your most frequently used ones) or at certain times of the day, ensuring a regular refresh rate while saving power.

Of course, due to system limitations, some functionalities don't work as smoothly. For instance, as a third-party iOS app developer, I'm unable to determine if a reminder has sub-items, so that feature couldn't be implemented.

And the App Store URL is https://apps.apple.com/app/id6469671638

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.