Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I setup the bluetooth between my mac and iPhone and I am trying to call with it but each time FaceTime closes. Anyone else get this working?

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
I setup the bluetooth between my mac and iPhone and I am trying to call with it but each time FaceTime closes. Anyone else get this working?

Apparently this is not available in the beta version and will be available on release, at least that's what I read.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Link please.

Essentially states this on the Apple site:

Since the beta software is unfinished, some new features will not be available, such as phone calls, SMS, Handoff, Instant Hotspot, and iCloud Drive. Spotlight suggestions are U.S.-based only. Some applications and services may not work properly with the beta software. If you are using iCloud Documents on Mavericks and you are also a member of the iOS Developer program, your documents will not sync across your other Macs and iOS devices.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013

Since the beta software is unfinished, some new features will not be available, such as phone calls, SMS, Handoff, Instant Hotspot, and iCloud Drive. Spotlight suggestions are U.S.-based only. Some applications and services may not work properly with the beta software. If you are using iCloud Documents on Mavericks and you are also a member of the iOS Developer program, your documents will not sync across your other Macs and iOS devices.

Why is everything US-only. Like iTunes radio? I realise it's one of their most important markets and their home market but come one. I feel like with half the iOS releases I'm forever waiting for half the features.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Why is everything US-only. Like iTunes radio? I realise it's one of their most important markets and their home market but come one. I feel like with half the iOS releases I'm forever waiting for half the features.

Lawyers.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011

SMS from Mac works for me. Handoff works for me. iCoud Drive shows up on my Mac but have not tested it. Call from iPhone is an option in contacts.

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK

Mmmm, I know what you mean, it is frustrating for us in the UK. They will always play to their home (and biggest) market first I guess.

----------

SMS from Mac works for me. Handoff works for me. iCoud Drive shows up on my Mac but have not tested it. Call from iPhone is an option in contacts.

WOW that's good news. I wonder why they mentioned that on their site then?

When you say SMS, is that an SMS from a phone other than an iPhone?

thaben

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
Works on my mid 2012 rMBP, and my Late 2012 Mac Mini, does not work on my 27" iMac Mid 2011.

Guessing its a bluetooth thing, tho there is a note in the developer notes saying it may have problems due to connecting over bluetooth when it should be going over wifi.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Sooo.. how do u connect your phone to the mac? How do u make the initial pairing?

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Sooo.. how do u connect your phone to the mac? How do u make the initial pairing?

For me both devices show under bluetooth. On my MacBook Air under the bluetooth symbol my iPhone 5 is detected but when I click to join network I'm just getting an error message.

On the iPhone 5 it's detecting the Mac Air under bluetooth but again, when I try to connect to it, "unsuccessful, please make sure device is on and in range". Meanwhile they are sitting right next to each other.

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Just tried this with my 2013 Air and my iPhone5. It almost works over bluetooth. I can see the devices on both and it pairs part way then I get an error on my iPhone5 telling me my Air is not a supported device and it makes me "forget the Device"

could be that I'm on a 5 and not a 5s or it's just beta...

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Got it working

I finally got it working. Not sure how though. How I found out was that while I was working on it I got a phone call which popped up on my Macbook. I also make anoutgoing call but I had to delete my VOIP App first because it kept trying to use that. I also was able to do an SMS Text Message to a friend on a NON-iPhone.

I was able to get it working on my Mac Mini (late 2012) and my Macbook Air which is newer than that.

On my Mac I tried to "Connect to Network" from the iPhone (in bluetooth setting) but that keeps failing so it makes no sense.

I also tired to Connect to the Mac from my iPhone. It appears to work sometimes but then it adds an extra line under the Mac Bluetooth setting (mac address but not sure it is my iPhone). Anyway, maybe it is simply connect because I see both sides even though it say NOT CONNECTED on the iPhone.

More testing tomorrow. Done for tonight.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Yep, too late for me to test any calling features. that will have to wait until morning.
Finally brought my MBA back from the dead after it jumped off of El Capitan.

Numbloaf48

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Pairing issue

I'm having the same issue with my macbook 2010 and my 5s it says that the devices are not in range when again they are a foot from each other

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013
Not that I have either beta, but the website clearly states, it's functionality is wifi based, not bluetooth.

Numbloaf48

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Continuity

Not that I have either beta, but the website clearly states, it's functionality is wifi based, not bluetooth.

i hope so cause if it uses bluetooth low energy its going to tick a lot of people off.
i got the sms working and everything else in that manner just not calls, and other continuity features.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
Looks like handoff is working fine on my rMBP and 5S. I can't seem to get SMS to transfer over to my Mac, however?

Mosi

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
The Nations Capital
Looks like handoff is working fine on my rMBP and 5S. I can't seem to get SMS to transfer over to my Mac, however?

How did you get Handoff working? I tried last night but was unable to get it to work.

Conversely I could get SMS to work on my Macbook. I just opened up the messages app and put in a phone number that I knew was not an iphone and it worked just fine via SMS

DerMario

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Yes, SMS work for me, too. But I can't make calls or get calls.
And the continuity feature also doesn't seem to work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.