Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
How did you get Handoff working? I tried last night but was unable to get it to work.

Conversely I could get SMS to work on my Macbook. I just opened up the messages app and put in a phone number that I knew was not an iphone and it worked just fine via SMS

You have to enable it in Yosemite. System prefs > General I believe. Then it just started working as long as all the surrounding devices used the same Apple id.

I just got outgoing sms to work fine. I thought that incoming sms was supposed to go to other devices though. Is that working for you? I can't get my sims to show up on my Mac or iPad.

kamkamkam

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
Could someone confirms this beta has the ability to send & receive phone calls ?

Also regarding the SMS messages .... Does it work already ...

Any screenshots for both calls and messages would be appreciated........

Really need to see them now PPPPPPLLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAASE :):D

TeToslaw

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Could someone confirms this beta has the ability to send & receive phone calls ?

Also regarding the SMS messages .... Does it work already ...

Any screenshots for both calls and messages would be appreciated........

Really need to see them now PPPPPPLLLLLLLEEEEEEEAAAAAASE :):D

SMS messages working
Sending & receiving phone calls not working

Aagaard2703

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
Denmark
Worked once for me :p

I succeeded calling my friend once via wifi, from my iMac. It all went well my iPhone dialed his number correctly. Afterwards the calls were terminated after 6 seconds... Can't wait till this feature is stable and usable! :D

kamkamkam

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
I succeeded calling my friend once via wifi, from my iMac. It all went well my iPhone dialed his number correctly. Afterwards the calls were terminated after 6 seconds... Can't wait till this feature is stable and usable! :D

That is good news .....

Is your iPhone on IOS 8 right now?

Can you receive phone calls on your mac now ...?

please let me know the answers; I want to update both to IOS 8 and OSX 10.10 if this future works now....:)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Apparently this is not available in the beta version and will be available on release, at least that's what I read.

It is available it just may not be working fully on ALL Macs and iPhones, there are about 8 known issues lined out in the release notes for Yosemite and iOS8 and it covers this.

To sum it up: It may work, it may not, if it does work then it does, if it doesn't work then it doesn't. There's no "making it work".

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
SMS messages working
Sending & receiving phone calls not working

SMS doesn't work for me. I'll add a contact (who I know doesn't use iMessage) and I see their number and "text message" next to it. When I try to send a message though it reverts back to an iMessage but fails to send and keeps saying "this user isn't on iMessage"

kamkamkam

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
It is available it just may not be working fully on ALL Macs and iPhones, there are about 8 known issues lined out in the release notes for Yosemite and iOS8 and it covers this.

To sum it up: It may work, it may not, if it does work then it does, if it doesn't work then it doesn't. There's no "making it work".

Do you have any idea about my configurations....

iphone 5s and MBPr late 2012... do you think it will work if i install them?

thanks

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Do you have any idea about my configurations....

iphone 5s and MBPr late 2012... do you think it will work if i install them?

thanks

It doesn't state specifics, only that some iCloud accounts may or may not pair correctly.
I'm on a 2013 iMac, 2013 MBA, iPhone 5s, iPad Air, iPad Retina and iPad Mini and ask me if anything is working exactly the same across the board. Nope.:p

but for me I actually enjoy issues, my job for many many years was to find problems and troubleshoot. Bring it On!:D

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
i hope so cause if it uses bluetooth low energy its going to tick a lot of people off.
i got the sms working and everything else in that manner just not calls, and other continuity features.

I wonder if those of us with older computers can "upgrade" with a bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter to allow this to work, if the problem is the need for the latest bluetooth.

I don't have the beta (not a developer, only one Mac).

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
When I first started testing this when I tried to call it would start my old VOIP Client. I deleted it. Now it appears to start my FaceTime Client. Those that have this working does you FaceTime Client startup?

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Making and receiving calls works for me. Not well, but it works.

----------

When I first started testing this when I tried to call it would start my old VOIP Client. I deleted it. Now it appears to start my FaceTime Client. Those that have this working does you FaceTime Client startup?

Yes it does.

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
You have to enable it in Yosemite. System prefs > General I believe. Then it just started working as long as all the surrounding devices used the same Apple id.

this was not enabled by default after i installed yosemite. ppl should check this first imo.

activate

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2011
As per my reading, Bluetooth 4.0 is required on all the devices but there is no pairing required. The association is formed via iCloud ids.

GreggM3

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta
I hadn't set anything up and it just showed a missed call when my wife called and I answered on my phone. I didn't see an alert however of the incoming call. I am using a 2014 MBA and an iPhone 5 with iOS 8.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Mine just started working out of the blue.

I saw your post and decided to try it again. I was able to get a call through, but I couldn't hear the dial tone or the person speaking on the other line, nor could they hear me. I have bluetooth enabled on both my computer and phone.

piranhadonna

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2013
Chandler, Az
I saw your post and decided to try it again. I was able to get a call through, but I couldn't hear the dial tone or the person speaking on the other line, nor could they hear me. I have bluetooth enabled on both my computer and phone.

My first call was that way, but my second call was much better. It rang and I could here the other person but occasionally it was garbled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.