Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Oppo Find X7 Ultra's camera has one of the highest rankings on camera site DXOMark, coming in well ahead of the iPhone 15 Pro Max. For that reason, we thought we'd compare the Oppo Find X7 Ultra to Apple's flagship iPhone to see how the cameras actually measure up in real life.

The Oppo Find X7 Ultra has a 50-megapixel main lens, a 50-megapixel wide-angle lens, and two 50-megapixel telephoto lenses, one of which is a 3x periscope lens. The iPhone 15 Pro Max has a 48-megapixel Main lens with multiple focal lengths, a 12-megapixel Ultra Wide lens, and a 12-megapixel telephoto lens that supports 5x optical zoom. In terms of hardware, the main cameras are similar, but the Oppo has higher resolution options for the telephoto and wide-angle lenses.

We shared a series of photos from each smartphone on our social media channels, without mentioning which one was the iPhone. When we asked which images people liked better, our poll favored the iPhone, but overall, most people liked some images from the Oppo and some images from the iPhone. No surprises there, as with high-end smartphones, differences in camera quality can be miniscule. Choosing a favorite often comes down to processing done by each smartphone, and picking an image based on the look comes down to personal preference.

For standard main camera photos taken during the daytime, the images come out almost the same. The iPhone can sometimes seem a little more washed out because it loses some of the saturation when raising highlights, while the Oppo tends to be more saturated. iPhone images can be brighter, which is preferable to some people, but the Oppo features more vibrant colors in a lot of shots. The iPhone sometimes boosts the warmth, and again, that's something that some people prefer.

For night shots, the Oppo images came out better for the most part. The nighttime colors were more true to life, and there were fewer issues with reflections and flare. The iPhone raised the brightness of some areas of nighttime shots just a little too much, though a couple of the low light images came out better because of some of the low light processing features Apple has built into the iPhone.

For telephoto images and Portrait images, the iPhone had the edge in terms of focus and color, though the photos were sometimes softer than the Oppo's shots.

Which images do you prefer? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Camera Comparison: iPhone 15 Pro Max vs. Oppo Find X7 Ultra

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
It's really hard to judge without looking at the source position of the photo, but the Oppo Find X7 Ultra did look more colorful/sharper in some of those images than the iPhone 15 Pro Max. But some shots the iPhone 15 Pro Max did better so its somewhat of a draw. Interesting comparison. Thanks for producing this YouTube comparison. Oppo been around for a long time (2001), in June 2016, Oppo became the largest smartphone manufacturer in China. They are owned by BBK Electronics.

Last edited:

coffeemilktea

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2022
I personally think Vivo and then Xiaomi flagships produce the best photos... that said, the iPhone is still much better when it comes to taking videos, and it's got a surprisingly large lead compared to everything else there. 🎬

(But to stay on topic: against the Oppo, I think the iPhone had better shots overall.)

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
Oppo (from BBK group also including OnePlus, Vivo and Realme) can be called an Apple cover band, since "Oppo" is literally how "Apple" sounds in chinese. First, they bluntly copied Apple looks, but sometimes the pupil becomes a master and plays with the big guys. This is certainly the case for Oppo, having about 8% global market share without selling to the US (neither does Xiaomi). In popular forums/arenas, the Oppo Find X7 Ultra compares with the other Ultra's (Samsung and Xiaomi), but is so far restricted to China market only, no international edition yet. Comparing it to the iPhone mostly illustrates Apple's competition in China.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Oppo (from BBK group also including OnePlus, Vivo and Realme) can be called an Apple cover band, since "Oppo" is literally how "Apple" sounds in chinese. First, they bluntly copied Apple looks, but sometimes the pupil becomes a master and plays with the big guys. This is certainly the case for Oppo, having about 8% global market share without selling to the US (neither does Xiaomi). In popular forums/arenas, the Oppo Find X7 Ultra compares with the other Ultra's (Samsung and Xiaomi), but is so far restricted to China market only, no international edition yet. Comparing it to the iPhone mostly illustrates Apple's competition in China.
For how much they have progressed as a company, look at one their stores. Apple needs to progress also as far as attracting customers with their stores are not enticing as much as they used to be because they don't sell all that much anymore IMHO. BTW Oppo was where all those Oppo Digital products (players/planar headphones, DACs) were manufactured before they left that business to concentrate on smart phones as the demand greatly upticked in China. Now they are selling their wares in 50 countries. The below video is from 5 years ago

Last edited:

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I wish Apple would add something like a “TrueTone” mode to the Camera app. That is, make the colors as accurate to real life as possible, and omit any compromising tone processing intended to make it “look better”.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
BTW Oppo was where all those Oppo Digital products (players/planar headphones, DACs) were manufactured before they left that business to concentrate on smart phones
Oppo Digital was a separate US operation based in Menlo Park, California. Manufacturing at least of the components was in China, of course, but product development was in the US.

Reactions: SFjohn

relaxedpanda

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2023
The iPhone photos have progressively gotten worse since the sensor switch starting with the iPhone 14.

The Sony Xperia, Google Pixel, Oppo, and Samsung phones all take much more pleasing, sharp, and vibrant photos more effortlessly than the current gen iPhone's IMO.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
For me, most of the Oppo pictures were too "contrasty" and heavy on the vibrance whereas the iPhone pictures looked more neutral, resulting in the Oppo pictures being too dark in some places.
Since I tend to edit a lot of my pictures slightly, I'd argue the iPhone would give me a better base image to work with that way.

But that's, of course, quite subjective 🤷‍♂️

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Oh its one of those comparos. Man, you can't compare images by putting them side to side and uploading them on YouTube video. Heck you can't even compare videos by uploading them to YouTube. And there is no single living subject in any of these photos.

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
Teens want iphones..
That is all that matters to Apple (hook them in while they are young). at least in the US..

Try telling a 15 year old that this android takes slightly better pictures and that should be why they choose it.

They don't care..

Reactions: winxmac

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Oppo Digital was a separate US operation based in Menlo Park, California. Manufacturing at least of the components was in China, of course, but product development was in the US.
Product Development was in both locations, all the samples were from China where they were produced. The distribution for the USA/Canada was from Menlo Park, before that Mountain View where they had two locations during the earlier years.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I don't see the point of these comparisons. Does the Oppo run iOS? If not, it's irrelevant. If I wanted an Android phone, I wouldn't be on forums geared toward Apple products.
1713818951464.gif

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I don't see the point of these comparisons. Does the Oppo run iOS? If not, it's irrelevant. If I wanted an Android phone, I wouldn't be on forums geared toward Apple products.
It's looking at state of the art camera implementation in competing smartphones. MacRumors has done this previously. Not about what OS it uses. ;)

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
This is all great, but I know exactly zero people who have an Oppo phone.
Less than 15% of my contacts are on Android.

Reactions: Ursadorable

t122648

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2022
Why not compare both of these phones against the Pixel 8 Pro? Personally, I got tired of the constant IOS bugs so I switched back to Android and am much happier. I now have a good notification system, can put my icons where I want on the screen, and can run the 'real' firefox with ublock origin. Of course, your mileage may vary and to each his/her own when it comes to phones and operating systems.

Reactions: iPay

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
You're telling me that back in 2001, Tony Chen decided to name his company "Oppo" because it sounded like Apple in Chinese. In 2001, when Apple was struggling with sales and reported their first quarterly loss in 3 years...

CUPERTINO, California — January 17, 2001 — Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2001 first quarter ended December 30, 2000. For the quarter, the Company posted a net loss of $195 million, or $.58 per share. These results compare to a net profit of $183 million, or $.51 per diluted share, achieved in the year ago quarter. Revenues for the quarter were $1 billion, down 57 percent from the year ago quarter, and gross margins were -2.1 percent, compared to 25.9 percent in the year ago quarter.

In 2001, before hit products like the iPod and iPhone came out and turned around the company's fortunes.

In 2001, before Apple officially entered the Chinese market and before Apple became a household name.

Yeah. Sure.

Last edited:

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
I don’t know how relevant these tests are these days. I have the iPhone 15 PM, one, for the screen real estate and two, the software/ecosystem experience. That’s why I’ll stick with Apple into the future (as someone heavily invested in the ecosystem), not for anything else - like prices or hardware specs.
This is exactly why Apple is slow to do camera improvements.

Reactions: Rokkus76

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Tim’s ultimate nightmare, being forced by some government to license iOS to other manufacturers. I owned a Oppo multi-region DVD player years ago, before I moved on to a SONY blu-ray player. I could play region 2 DVDs from Europe. It was really nice. I haven’t paid much attention (if any) to their smartphones so I wouldn’t know how good they are.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I use 15PM and Sony Xperia 1V. Sony produces more realistic images than 15PM. iPhone tends to produce photos with are more pleasing to our eyes.

Reactions: Stormshadow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.