Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UliBaer

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2024
Germany
Imho the best pictures i have seen from a smart phone so far are from the Vivo X100 Pro.
It has a camera system engineered by Zeiss and yes, it is a Chinese Android smart phone.

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
That "N" in "DINE" was a freaky. Hope you did not dine there (D.I.blur.E. is DIE not DINE). Conclusion: lots of processing going on in all pics. When it is right it is great, when you get a blurry "N" not so much. Dan is really choosing which processing in which situation is best. Comparing raw pixel output might be more enlightening. One can always post-process (I know .01% is going to do that).

eifelbube

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2020
I don't see the point of these comparisons. Does the Oppo run iOS? If not, it's irrelevant. If I wanted an Android phone, I wouldn't be on forums geared toward Apple products.
It is very relevant to me because I welcome the opportunity to see how far the photo tech on mobile devices has come … whether someone does better than our fruit company … hoping that the competition —albeit indirect— keeps Apple on its toes.

Reactions: Rokkus76

Tomasulu

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2015
You're telling me that back in 2001, Tony Chen decided to name his company "Oppo" because it sounded like Apple in Chinese. In 2001, when Apple was struggling with sales and reported their first quarterly loss in 3 years...

CUPERTINO, California — January 17, 2001 — Apple today announced financial results for its fiscal 2001 first quarter ended December 30, 2000. For the quarter, the Company posted a net loss of $195 million, or $.58 per share. These results compare to a net profit of $183 million, or $.51 per diluted share, achieved in the year ago quarter. Revenues for the quarter were $1 billion, down 57 percent from the year ago quarter, and gross margins were -2.1 percent, compared to 25.9 percent in the year ago quarter.

In 2001, before hit products like the iPod and iPhone came out and turned around the company's fortunes.

In 2001, before Apple officially entered the Chinese market and before Apple became a household name.

Yeah. Sure.
I know mandarin. Oppo doesn’t sound like Apple in mandarin lol. Nor Vivo either.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I may be biased. But cannot really take the "ranking" seriously when they don't even have the results from Sony Xperia Pro-I or Xperia 1 V.

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
I don’t know how relevant these tests are these days. I have the iPhone 15 PM, one, for the screen real estate and two, the software/ecosystem experience. That’s why I’ll stick with Apple into the future (as someone heavily invested in the ecosystem), not for anything else - like prices or hardware specs.
They're relevant because Apple isn't and should never be the only smartphone option. You're use case doesn't apply to everyone. Lot's of people aren't brand loyal either (thank god).

Reactions: Rokkus76

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
Huawei has held the top spot for camera phones for quite a while (including from DXo, who is the rating company cited here). It has some pretty amazing zoom features, but for everyday photos, there's not a lot of difference in a $200 smartphone and Apple or Android flagships.

Fun fact: A couple of years ago a major magazine (Wired?) did a comparison between an iphone and various serious cameras. For a well lit wide angle shot (landscapes or portraits in sun), the iphone did the best. The expensive pro cameras only won out in niche areas like low light, fast action, telephoto, waterfalls, etc. They had several different groups of judges, from photographers to laypersons to photo printers and they mostly agreed on the results, too.

MacDownunder

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
On a related but slightly different angle - I just sold my Panasonic M3/4 Camera and lenses etc as I've been using it less and less. I am heading to Japan in two days armed with just a late iPhone pro (not a 15) it will be interesting to see if I miss my "real" cam, which was a shift from DSLR (multiple generations before the M3/4), now to my point and this applies to all digital - people tend to pixel peep and that's always a slippery slope.
Some years ago we were in San Francisco and my son pulled his iPhone5 out and did a hand pano of that big red bridge from the beach near fort point - that print still is framed on his wall and colour etc is amazing (print size is approx 850mm x 200mm (approx 34x8inches). Sure when you go real close, like macro type close, there are some aberrations but my point is depending on viewing/display requirements pretty much all modern phones take pretty amazing images from generally very small sensors that are very pleasing in most circumstances

Reactions: Persecki

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
Well that does it! If my iPhone's camera isn't the greatest camera, I guess I have to ditch all my Apple iPhones, iPads, Macs, AirPods, AppleTVs, watches, services and operating systems, and buy all new Android and Windows (shudder) products from now on. Someone please stick a fork in me, I'm done!

Reactions: scorpio vega

Tevosn

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2020
Ngl the Oppo looks like a toothbrush.

Only looked at a few comparisons in the video, and where not really surprised the differences where kinda small and subjective. At this point I feel like the phone cameras have gotten so good a comparison these days are unnecessary.

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪
They're relevant because Apple isn't and should never be the only smartphone option. You're use case doesn't apply to everyone. Lot's of people aren't brand loyal either (thank god).
Didn’t imply that Apple should be the only option, did I? Neither did I imply my use case is what everyone should go for. My comment was about MY use case. I’m not brand-loyal. But I’m not a brand-whore either. I look for consistency in software and experience. At the moment, only Apple offers me that. Why should I go looking for something else, when what I have is factually the best in terms of ecosystem experience? Would Oppo, or whatever brand you have in mind give me phones, tablets, computers, smart speakers, smart tv platform, smart home platform, and the services and experiences that go with those to my satisfaction, without jumping through various hoops? Didn’t think so!

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Expecting to see even better night photography with the upcoming 16 Pro models. Hopefully the front cameras will also get an update.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Oppo (from BBK group also including OnePlus, Vivo and Realme) can be called an Apple cover band, since "Oppo" is literally how "Apple" sounds in chinese. First, they bluntly copied Apple looks, but sometimes the pupil becomes a master and plays with the big guys. This is certainly the case for Oppo, having about 8% global market share without selling to the US (neither does Xiaomi). In popular forums/arenas, the Oppo Find X7 Ultra compares with the other Ultra's (Samsung and Xiaomi), but is so far restricted to China market only, no international edition yet. Comparing it to the iPhone mostly illustrates Apple's competition in China.
How did you even cook this up lol. Oppo was registered in 2001 and it doesnt sound anything like Apple in Chinese...

killhippie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2016
UK
Most of my contacts are now on Android, they all moved away from Apple for their own reasons, and they all seem very happy I think the Samsung S24 has seven years of Android and security updates, Android really has come a long way. iOS seems to have got stuck I want things like call screening not a journal app! Lets see what iOS 18 brings. As to pictures I like the some Oppo ones and some iOS ones. iPhones needs bigger sensors like a lot of Chinese and Korean phones, and less image processing to make up for that lack of sensor size.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
"The ‌iPhone 15 Pro‌ Max has a 48-megapixel Main lens with multiple focal lengths"

No, it does not. It crops into the picture to get different compositions, but the focal length (and thus DOF and "lens compression" a.k.a. Background variation due to the distance to the subject stay the same)

Reactions: miq

CarlntheCity

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2021
As an Owner of iphone 15 pro max, Oppo Find n2 and N3, as well as Vivo X fold 2 & 3, i find the oppo devices well made and camera's amazing. The Vivo X fold 3 takes amazing photos and the 4500 nits is brilliant out on a sunny day. I enjoy having both operating systems.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Oppo has had a long well earned reputation in various electronic offerings as some of if not the best. I am not fond of superlatives but I recall when they set the standard for Blue Ray players. People were more than upset when Oppo no longer was in that market. Their phones too have a great reputation. I'll stick however with the Apple product as it is more than good enough and a) I'll get a camera if I need more in the photo realm, b) can use a photo editor and get more mileage out of an Apple iPhone image, and c) I admit I avoid buying from certain companies from certain places and that include those like Lenevo.

Reactions: spicynujac

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Nah. No one buys phones nowadays just because of the camera or “ecosystem” stuff.

Step 1. You buy Android phone
Step 2. You use stock camera
Step 3. You use stock camera
Step 4. ?????
Step 5. Whaddaya want? Google play got no apps!

iPhone really just works. And works well. I had S10+ and it lagged every time I tried shooting 4k with it. And what’s now? Even my cheap SE shoots 4K without issues, not even mentioning wide array of apps for editing from the AppStore

Reactions: Ursadorable

villagehiker

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2010
Texas
iPhone photos look better, but who can really tell as we look at video of photos? Apple does a better job at user experience and customer support. Phone cameras work really well for snapshots and video because of their software but fall short of mid-level and up cameras by Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Panasonic, Pentax…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.