Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
First thing people freak out about is the screen but what about the internals? Surely we could knock that Taptic Engine out of place or hard enough that it could malfunction? What about damaging the components such as the processor?

Last edited:

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
I have dropped my phones fairly hard in the past, how come they have never been internally damaged? I imagine phone manufactures anticipate this and protect the components somehow?

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I have dropped my phones fairly hard in the past, how come they have never been internally damaged? I imagine phone manufactures anticipate this and protect the components somehow?

You're right, but its hard to predict every scenario possible for dropping a device.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I have dropped my phones fairly hard in the past, how come they have never been internally damaged?

With a hard enough impact, solder joints can crack. You've either been lucky or the impacts weren't enough to cause any noticeable damage.

I imagine phone manufactures anticipate this and protect the components somehow?

To some extent, but how much impact protection do you want built into your phone? You know how cars protect their passengers, right? They crumple. Do you want you phone to do that?

Reactions: old-wiz

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I dropped my unprotected iPhone 6 on a concrete sidewalk when it was fairly new. Just one nick in the aluminum, screen was fine, but the vibration motor always rattled around a bit more than it had previous to the drop.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Everything is screwed down or glued down, that being said anything can happen if dropped hard enough or at the wrong angle I suppose but I wouldn't worry too much. If something comes apart you'll know and you can take it to Apple.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
My wife dropped her iPhone 5 out of a slow moving hotel resort tram in early 2014 Even with case on. It was a loud "thud" noise I hear when it hit the cement. I was sure screen shattered. But case saved it.

However the phone was in reboot mode and the "blue screen" of death appeared on the iPhone.

So the motherboard/logic board had to be damaged for the blue screen of death. Took it to Apple Store and they gave me a free replaced it cause it was under warranty. They didn't find any "physical damage". I am sure there was damage from the loud thud I heard.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
I can't believe somebody posted this ... I swear some Apple users ask the most ridiculous questions.

Not just Apple users, people in general ask ridiculous questions all the time.

There's not many moving parts in the phone so it's hard to damage the internals, but it is possible.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I wouldn't handle your iPhone carelessly if I were you, but it's not that likely in my experience. I never dropped my 4S, but I threw my iPhone 3G hard against a wall in a not-so-proud moment of iOS 4 rage, and it survived largely unscathed.

I'd bet the new thinner/metal ones are much more fragile, but you'd likely only have a cracked screen if it's a small drop onto a hard surface. Smartphones can take at least a little roughness.

Reactions: Goatllama

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Dropped iPhone 6 from waist high onto tile floor. Broke camera internals and had to have it fixed. Thank you Apple Care Plus.

Reactions: Applejuiced

irod87

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
Fell and landed on 6 Plus a couple of weeks ago. Phone seems undamaged but later on that night noticed touch screen was not functioning properly. So to answer your question. Yes.

Reactions: Applejuiced

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
It is all in the luck of physics.
Come on.....you honestly expect people to understand that any given drop can't be predictive as to damage done.

I bet 6 emojis and one snarky comment that there will be dozens of anecdotal stories of how their personal drop did or did not cause internal damage. And extrapolating their experience as meaningful across the board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.