Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
I have our Time Capsule hooked up to our main router (router provided by our ISP) via ethernet, and configured to deliver wifi to our second floor. I have an area on the first floor that is currently being served by a Netgear wifi extender. Our ISP does not offer any mesh devices. We are having problems with our router dropping the internet. Our ISP suggested the extender may be the problem, so I am trying to find another solution.

Because the walls that were open when I ran ethernet up to the second floor are now closed, I can no longer run ethernet from the router up to the attic, across the house and back down to the problem area. I could, however, run ethernet from the Time Capsule to the attic and to the desired location that way. I could then hook up an AP to the Time Capsule by ethernet. But would this work? Would the AP be able to get its signal via ethernet from the Time Capsule? Or would such a device have to be connected to the main router to work?

Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum, just point the way. 🤔

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Do you have to use the ISP’s router? If so, consider turning wifi off and using it as just a router and connecting it to a mesh system. If not, dump theirs and go with a mesh system. My internet is via cable and I use my own modem connected to an Eero system. Excellent coverage in a 4,000 sqft house on 3 levels.

On another subject, I haven’t seen a house built in the last 50+ years that I can’t run Ethernet cabling where needed. It does require using techniques that electricians use for snaking new power cables into places. Lots of specialized tools for doing this. As example, I ran a cable up inside a finished wall into the attic, across the attic, down into a closet that was above a closet below and into the unfinished basement. Then across the basement and up into a wall to an outlet on the wall.

Reactions: Slix and zachiedoo

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Do you have to use the ISP’s router? If so, consider turning wifi off and using it as just a router and connecting it to a mesh system. If not, dump theirs and go with a mesh system. My internet is via cable and I use my own modem connected to an Eero system. Excellent coverage in a 4,000 sqft house on 3 levels.

On another subject, I haven’t seen a house built in the last 50+ years that I can’t run Ethernet cabling where needed. It does require using techniques that electricians use for snaking new power cables into places. Lots of specialized tools for doing this. As example, I ran a cable up inside a finished wall into the attic, across the attic, down into a closet that was above a closet below and into the unfinished basement. Then across the basement and up into a wall to an outlet on the wall.
I'm pretty sure I do have to use their router, and I'm not sure I can log in to the router to make any changes. Their web portal allows us very limited access: split the bands or not, rename the network, change the password. That's it.

We installed ethernet cables up to the attic for an outdoor AP and the Time Capsule when the wall was open. The path to the attic is very narrow and now filled with 3 fibre optic wires and two ethernet wires. Plus, there is insulation in that wall, so forget snaking anything through it, no matter what tools you may have. What's the worst is the wall was closed only about three weeks ago. 😫

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I could, however, run ethernet from the Time Capsule to the attic and to the desired location that way. I could then hook up an AP to the Time Capsule by ethernet. But would this work? Would the AP be able to get its signal via ethernet from the Time Capsule? Or would such a device have to be connected to the main router to work?
So the new setup would be:

ISP Router ------> Time Capsule --------> WiFi AP

where the arrows are Ethernet cables. It's my understanding that it would work just fine. The new AP is "on" your wired Ethernet network, it just has to go through the network switch built into the Time Capsule. I don't think that would introduce any noticeable performance hit.

If for some reason the doesn't work (and I'm pretty sure it will), you could put a little 5-port switch where the TC is, and connect both the TC and the new AP to it. But i don't think you'll need to do that.

Reactions: zachiedoo

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm pretty sure I do have to use their router, and I'm not sure I can log in to the router to make any changes.

Worst case you can just get a mesh system and put it between the ISP router and the rest of your network.

It would be double NAT, which isn’t ideal, but usually doesn’t cause any problems.

(If you get one that can be set to AP mode, and get its IP addresses from the ISP router, even better. If at all possible, setting the ISP router to bridge mode and letting the mesh system handle everything is probably preferable though.)

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
What I have in fact decided to do, since I have no way of knowing what AP devices might cause problems, is add another Time Capsule instead of an AP. I am awaiting delivery of a used one, and the cables, etc. to set this up. It is newer than the one I have, so it will be first in line from the router, and the older one will provide the wifi to the desired area. TC's are a known quantity for me, so I thought this would be a better option. Thanks to all for their input on this issue.

Reactions: Brian33

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
What I have in fact decided to do, since I have no way of knowing what AP devices might cause problems, is add another Time Capsule instead of an AP.

Just be aware that you will not get seamless transitioning between the various wifi networks (even if they have the same SSID) like you would with a mesh system.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
Just be aware that you will not get seamless transitioning between the various wifi networks (even if they have the same SSID) like you would with a mesh system.
Not an issue, really. It's the far end of the house, on one side, that needs the stronger wifi for external cameras and their sync module. Our house is 4" solid wood. 🙄 It also has aluminum bubble wrap on the outside under the siding. Wifi signals have a REALLY hard time escaping the house, except through windows. We have an external AP and the cameras get good signal from it, but the sync module they need to connect with needs to be on the same network, and the AP signal doesn't reach it. It's been a bit of a challenge. Hopefully this will resolve issues.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
In my personal experience, this isn't neccessarily the case IF one uses all Apple Airport devices (Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, Airport Express). I've used a TC and two Expresses in my last house and the WiFi handoff was seamless. I don't know why, but I think Apple did something proprietary to enable that to happen.

But handoff is definitely something to keep in mind for roaming devices!

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
In my personal experience, this isn't neccessarily the case IF one uses all Apple Airport devices (Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, Airport Express).

My previous wifi setup was one Time Capsule and four AirPort Express, all Ethernet-connected and configured to extend the TC wifi.

While I agree that this worked much better than any other multiple-AP or wifi extension technology I have experience with, I still found that switching to mesh significantly improved coverage, latency and speed, especially when moving around.

zachiedoo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 3, 2022
S QC
In this particular case, handoff is not an issue. The iMac in that room (which is used for piano and guitar practice) will connect to the TC. We don't roam to that room with other devices.

Reactions: Arctic Moose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.