Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elabstracto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2021
So I purchased a laptop for school off of somebody but it came preinstalled with a MDM for a certain company. The lady I purchased it from is not responding to me about this issue and has completely ghosted me. I was wondering if there is a way I can remove through the disk utility because it does not even allow me to startup without the client asking me for credentials?? I am so lost and would appreciate any help, thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
So I purchased a laptop for school off of somebody but it came preinstalled with a MDM for a certain company. The lady I purchased it from is not responding to me about this issue and has completely ghosted me. I was wondering if there is a way I can remove through the disk utility because it does not even allow me to startup without the client asking me for credentials?? I am so lost and would appreciate any help, thanks!
The computer probably still belongs to the company, and reformatting the disk will not remove that. You need to return the computer.
Failing that, you may be able to contact the company and get them to release it from their system, but if the computer wasn't legitimately sold by the original company, you're probably out of luck.

MSKenyon

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2017
Earth
I have the same issue, elabstraco. However, to work AROUND this, if you restore from another disk hit will work. But it's not a fix. I tried calling, mailing, texting, twittering, etc. this company, and nothing. It stinks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.