Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeyDemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Pacific NW
I just upgraded from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone XR. I've noticed that when I use the volume buttons, the ringer volume and app volume operate separately. If I'm not mistaken, both ringer and app volume were previously synced on all of my other iPhones; meaning if I pushed the volume buttons, when in the home screen, to lower it to 4 dots both the apps and ringer would be at this same volume.

Now I have apps that will be super loud and my ringer super low and vice-versa. Does this mean I have to go through the hassle of both opening the phone app to adjust the ringer and open a regular app to change their respective volumes?

I have activated the System>Sounds & Haptics> Ringer & Alerts Change with Buttons toggle. But this doesn't appear to sync the ringer or app volume either.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I just upgraded from an iPhone 7 to an iPhone XR. I've noticed that when I use the volume buttons, the ringer volume and app volume operate separately. If I'm not mistaken, both ringer and app volume were previously synced on all of my other iPhones; meaning if I pushed the volume buttons, when in the home screen, to lower it to 4 dots both the apps and ringer would be at this same volume.

Now I have apps that will be super loud and my ringer super low and vice-versa. Does this mean I have to go through the hassle of both opening the phone app to adjust the ringer and open a regular app to change their respective volumes?

I have activated the System>Sounds & Haptics> Ringer & Alerts Change with Buttons toggle. But this doesn't appear to sync the ringer or app volume either.
It works the same way on iPhone 7 as well as other iPhones.

KeyDemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Pacific NW
It works the same way on iPhone 7 as well as other iPhones.

Can you clarify your statement:
1. Do you mean App Volume and Ring Volume is separated on all phones and volume controls are never global.
2. App Volume and Ring Volume synced as referenced on my iPhone 7 is how they all work.

Thanks!
[doublepost=1554970960][/doublepost]Nevermind. It was a recent iOS 12.x.x update. Apple support confirmed app Volume is controlled in Control Center and is now separate from ringer/alert volume which can be controlled via the volume buttons.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple support confirmed app Volume is controlled in Control Center and is now separate from ringer/alert volume which can be controlled via the volume buttons.
If you have the ringer and alert control with buttons option enabled then that's the case and how it has been before. If you don't, then the volume buttons will control the app/media volume.

KeyDemo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Pacific NW
As I stated, that’s not how it worked before, when “control volume with buttons” was selected: It controlled both at the same time. Apple Support confirmed there was a change to unlink app and ringer volume in one of the iOS 12 updates.

There is currently not a method to control app and ringer volume globally.

Edited for clarity I hope. ‍:apple:

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As I stated, that’s not how it worked before, when “control volume with buttons” was selected: It controlled both at the same time. Apple Support confirmed there was a change to unlink app and ringer volume in one of the iOS 12 updates.

There is currently not a method to control app and ringer volume globally.

Edited for clarity I hope. ‍:apple:
I understand what you mentioned before, just commenting that that hasn't actually been my experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.