Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
How effective is 1Blocker in practice? For example, how many percent of ads can it remove?

Windows PC is my only machine these days. Those ads are driving me crazy. If the Mac + 3rd party app can eliminate all or the majority of Ads, I may buy a Mac.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Wipr+Little Snitch ( With a few configured adblock lists ) and bye, bye ads forever...In windows adblock origin is my choice. As for YouTube, I am paying the premium so I only see the creators inside their videos advertising.

With adblock origin installed on a Windows PC, can I also have bye bye ads forever?

• Haha
Reactions: cateye

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
uBlock Origin, NoScript, and LittleSnitch (or LuLu) are my tools of the trade

I also get around the YouTube problem entirely by using yt-dlp...

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
For the last two posters, I searched for "yt-dip" and "uBlock Origin" on the App Store, nothing. Do you have links? Much appreciated!
I had been using Wipr successfully for a few years, but EweTube has now gotten around it. Every third or fourth video is now an ad, and it drives me so crazy that I've dropped half my "content creators" (the other half have separate websites for "merch" etc, and usually (not always) when I click on their videos hosted on YT, the ads are bypassed. I've also added a couple more Patreon accounts to Content Creators for channels that are really valuable to me, but paying YT $135/annum after they've been selling my data all these years, making them one of the most wealthy "hosting sites" in history.... that's a Big Nope.
Will be following this one, TIA.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
For the last two posters, I searched for "yt-dip" and "uBlock Origin" on the App Store, nothing. Do you have links? Much appreciated!
I had been using Wipr successfully for a few years, but EweTube has now gotten around it. Every third or fourth video is now an ad, and it drives me so crazy that I've dropped half my "content creators" (the other half have separate websites for "merch" etc, and usually (not always) when I click on their videos hosted on YT, the ads are bypassed. I've also added a couple more Patreon accounts to Content Creators for channels that are really valuable to me, but paying YT $135/annum after they've been selling my data all these years, making them one of the most wealthy "hosting sites" in history.... that's a Big Nope.
Will be following this one, TIA.
I suggest using the free app SwizzTube to watch YouTube ad free. UBlock Origin is not on the App Store and isn't compatible with Safari.

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
I use whole device VPN tracker blocking from Disconnect.me - their products works very well

most ads use trackers, so if you block trackers you don’t get ads anymore.

it’s my view that most web tracking is unethical (as it is covert), and therefore I have no problem denying revenue from websites/ad agencies that use those methods for advertising. there are sites I visit that have adverts without trackers and I do see those and that’s fine in my opinion.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
I use whole device VPN tracker blocking from Disconnect.me - their products works very well

most ads use trackers, so if you block trackers you don’t get ads anymore.

it’s my view that most web tracking is unethical (as it is covert), and therefore I have no problem denying revenue from websites/ad agencies that use those methods for advertising. there are sites I visit that have adverts without trackers and I do see those and that’s fine in my opinion.
Hi JonnyBlaze,

I was curious whether you find the Disconnect VPN lowers your Internet bandwidth? How much? How does it compare to other VPNs?

Thanks,
Solouki

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
Wipr+Little Snitch ( With a few configured adblock lists ) and bye, bye ads forever...In windows adblock origin is my choice. As for YouTube, I am paying the premium so I only see the creators inside their videos advertising.
Exactly my solution too, apart from Little Snitch. YouTube Premium is a must, if not for my own sanity, the wellbeing of my son. Wipr is great, set and forget basically, a couple of times a year it needs a manual update.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I use AdBlock Pro (App Store) for Safari, and can't imagine not having it. It's even managed to circumvent YouTube's ad-blocker-blocking recently, and when those rules have been modified, the team behind AdBlock Pro have done a good job at quickly updating the app. Give it a go!

Reactions: BotchQue

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
AdGuard works. The free one is fine. Just make sure you update the filter list. That is currently blocking YT adverts fine in Safari on both iOS and macOS. You don't really need DNS blocks or VPNs and stuff.

Jake123456789

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2023
There are lots of adblockers that can block all browser ads on either Windows or Mac.

I switched from Windows to a Mac a year ago largely because I was tired of Microsoft pushing ads at me within their products, for products that I had already purchased and had installed on that same computer.

That doesn't happen on my Mac, even when I use a Microsoft product.

FWIW: Yesterday, I read on another forum that Microsoft's new AI products won't work if you have an adblocker installed. I don't know if that's true. If it is, it might give you additional incentive to switch to a Mac.

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
How effective is 1Blocker in practice? For example, how many percent of ads can it remove?

Windows PC is my only machine these days. Those ads are driving me crazy. If the Mac + 3rd party app can eliminate all or the majority of Ads, I may buy a Mac.
Nah, the web ads have nothing to do with your operating system. Just get a good ad blocker (and there are plenty).

Reactions: klasma

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
Hi JonnyBlaze,

I was curious whether you find the Disconnect VPN lowers your Internet bandwidth? How much? How does it compare to other VPNs?

Thanks,
Solouki
No noticeable issues with bandwidth/speed while using Disconnect.me VPN. I don't have a brilliantly fast connection to start with though (only 40/10). No issues with streaming 4k video for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.