Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I recommend Ghostery as an ad blocker. It also automatically dismisses cookie popups in many cases. On Windows (or any non-Safari platform), for those who want to avoid Chromium, Firefox is the browser of choice, again with Ghostery.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How effective is 1Blocker in practice? For example, how many percent of ads can it remove?

Windows PC is my only machine these days. Those ads are driving me crazy. If the Mac + 3rd party app can eliminate all or the majority of Ads, I may buy a Mac.
Haven't you looked at ad-blocking browser extensions for your computer yet?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Yes, but then you're not avoiding Google! They pay Mozilla ”more than $450 million”. Just sayin'! 🤞🏻
What do you mean? You contribute to Google losing money! ;)

And the DDG browser on Windows uses the native WebView2, which is Blink, the same as Chromium, which only enforces Google’s stranglehold on the web. So better use a different browser engine. Where Safari isn’t available, Firefox (Gecko/Quantum) is virtually the only option.

Last edited:
Reactions: solouki

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
If ads were not done in such an intrusive way I may not mind them so much. It's not the ad itself that's the problem but how they are implemented. A lot of times it's akin to a close talker being an inch from your face and yelling at you. The ads are so intrusive to the point it should possibly be illegal. Plus as others have noted many ads use trackers which I also don't like. YouTube videos were some of the worst for me. Ads cannot be skipped right away and often come up randomly throughout a video. If it was only a 5-10 second ad before the video started I could accept that. But also things like banner ads and pop ups on many websites trying to promote things drives me crazy. The whole concept of internet ads needs to be redone so it does not intrude on the browsing experience.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
There are lots of adblockers that can block all browser ads on either Windows or Mac.

I switched from Windows to a Mac a year ago largely because I was tired of Microsoft pushing ads at me within their products, for products that I had already purchased and had installed on that same computer.

That doesn't happen on my Mac, even when I use a Microsoft product.

FWIW: Yesterday, I read on another forum that Microsoft's new AI products won't work if you have an adblocker installed. I don't know if that's true. If it is, it might give you additional incentive to switch to a Mac.

That would be another reason not to switch to a Windows PC. I wonder if Android is the same?

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I recommend Ghostery as an ad blocker. It also automatically dismisses cookie popups in many cases. On Windows (or any non-Safari platform), for those who want to avoid Chromium, Firefox is the browser of choice, again with Ghostery.

I use AdGuard which I paid for and it works well. But Ghostery looks interesting. Maybe I will check them out. Thanks.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
No. Consider a third party app like 1Blocker.

actually yes, if you change your MacOS DNS to the free Adguard or ControlD it will block at least 90% of the ads. You can do it on your router too to affect all your device connecting to the router.

it can't block youtube ads though.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Do blocked ads show up as blocks of empty boxes?
Just white space or (if across the page) removed so you don't even know they might be there. Certainly no boxes.

With AdGuard for Mac, I am almost oblivious to the fact that the web page might like to show me ads. I have almost forgotten what they look like!

Don't forget that a decent ad blocker is also blocking tracking and malware.

I use: Adguard for Mac (http/s blocking across web views in all apps), plus AdGuard Home (DNS blocking).

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Is the Mac+3rd party apps better at blocking ads than Windows PC + 3rd party apps?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
You could setup AdGuard DNS on your computer or your router. Or you could you use another browser like Brave Browser which is pretty good at siphoning away the ads.
Do I need to mess with the settings on the router? My ISP told me not to mess with the router settings.

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
For the last two posters, I searched for "yt-dip" and "uBlock Origin" on the App Store, nothing. Do you have links? Much appreciated!
I had been using Wipr successfully for a few years, but EweTube has now gotten around it. Every third or fourth video is now an ad, and it drives me so crazy that I've dropped half my "content creators" (the other half have separate websites for "merch" etc, and usually (not always) when I click on their videos hosted on YT, the ads are bypassed. I've also added a couple more Patreon accounts to Content Creators for channels that are really valuable to me, but paying YT $135/annum after they've been selling my data all these years, making them one of the most wealthy "hosting sites" in history.... that's a Big Nope.
Will be following this one, TIA.

uBO isn't an app. It is a browser extension.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Not in vanilla macOS, you can download an ad blocker for any browser these days.

I would be mad if macOS blocked ads by default, because that is one of my good sources of income.

(Also please turn it off for YouTube, I speak for all the YouTubers when we say that we don't like ad block because it ruins our revenue)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.