Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
I just think "what the iPad can't do" has been discussed to death. We already know there are many things the iPad can't do. I mean, do you use an iPad or another tablet? If so, why?

I have two iPads a 2&4 i also have a Samsung Tab 10 note and a Samsung Tab Pro. I use the iPads there WiFi only and pluged in 24/7 and have been for over three years ,one the 4 sits near me in living room while watching TV to see if e-mail arrives is important,also to check weather conditions and local temperature and the check local and national news. Not often to look at on line threads and very seldom to i tap out a reply to them. I also store pictures and a few videos on on them. The other the 2 is in another room.
The Samsung Tab 10 note WiFi only plugged in 24/7 been this way over four years is near kitchen and [s used to search the Net. when computer is not needed,it also is used to store some pictures on it. The smaller tab Pro is used to store pictures and videos that i want to take some place to show someone. It,s not plugged in 24/7 just checked each day and charged as needed.
As you can see i don't do any heavy work on any of the tablets,they are just used when computer is not needed. The tablets are very useful and i am glad i bought them all.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have two iPads a 2&4 i also have a Samsung Tab 10 note and a Samsung Tab Pro. I use the iPads there WiFi only and pluged in 24/7 and have been for over three years ,one the 4 sits near me in living room while watching TV to see if e-mail arrives is important,also to check weather conditions and local temperature and the check local and national news. Not often to look at on line threads and very seldom to i tap out a reply to them. I also store pictures and a few videos on on them. The other the 2 is in another room.
The Samsung Tab 10 note WiFi only plugged in 24/7 been this way over four years is near kitchen and [s used to search the Net. when computer is not needed,it also is used to store some pictures on it. The smaller tab Pro is used to store pictures and videos that i want to take some place to show someone. It,s not plugged in 24/7 just checked each day and charged as needed.
As you can see i don't do any heavy work on any of the tablets,they are just used when computer is not needed. The tablets are very useful and i am glad i bought them all.

So if I understand you correctly, all of your tablets (except one) are stationary, and you never move them, even within your house? If so, then no wonder you aren't interested in the topic of "what the MacBook can't do that an iPad can do." It seems to me that for your usage, the retina MacBooks could replace the tablets!

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
So if I understand you correctly, all of your tablets (except one) are stationary, and you never move them, even within your house? If so, then no wonder you aren't interested in the topic of "what the MacBook can't do that an iPad can do." It seems to me that for your usage, the retina MacBooks could replace the tablets!

No if you will reread my post i posted i use the smaller Samsung Tab Pro, to take pictures and videos to show some people.
I do have a Mac Book Pro non retina, that is mainly used to connect computer to iPads for moving music from CDs.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think Tim Cook absolutely blew it when he claimed that the iPad pro could replace your laptop. People ended up comparing the iPad to a laptop and fixating on the things an iPad could not do, rather than focusing on the merits of a larger and more powerful iPad.

This will go down as one of the biggest marketing blunders in Apple's history, imo. Even Steve Jobs did not dare to make such a claim.
Yes it was a stupid thing for him to say, just like it was stupid for Eddy Cue to say he uses it for reading emails and browsing the web. So on the one hand Cook is calling it a laptop replacement and on the other Cue is basically saying it's best for consuming content. And I believe these comments came out the same week. While for some iPP is certainly good at both it did signal mixed messages. And the last thing Cook should have done is mentioned the Surface because all it did was create more Surface comparisons rather than what the messaging should have been which is iPP is the best iPad ever, and put the focus on the Pencil. At least Jony Ive was pretty much on message in his two Pencil interviews.

I agree. Why would he say that? He could have chosen his words more carefully as to not diss the laptops while still promoting the iPP. And, I disagree completely regrading the replacement comment. The iPP can NOTbreplace a laptop. Not completely for anyone except for the lightest of users.

I disagree. I think it can replace laptops for A LOT of people. Heck there's probably a lot of people who's primary computer is their smartphone.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No if you will reread my post i posted i use the smaller Samsung Tab Pro, to take pictures and videos to show some people.
I do have a Mac Book Pro non retina, that is mainly used to connect computer to iPads for moving music from CDs.

Yes, sorry, so you are using your smaller Tab as a tablet. It still sounds to me like your other tablets are being used more like notebook/desktop than as tablets.

the future

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Yes it was a stupid thing for him to say, just like it was stupid for Eddy Cue to say he uses it for reading emails and browsing the web. So on the one hand Cook is calling it a laptop replacement and on the other Cue is basically saying it's best for consuming content. And I believe these comments came out the same week. While for some iPP is certainly good at both it did signal mixed messages.

Maybe the message was mixed because the iPad is so versatile? For Cook – like for many others – it's all the mobile computing he needs, for Cue – like for many others – it's an additive device for leisurely tasks. I for one find it refreshing when there is no strict "party line" that every Apple executive robotically sticks to.

Also, do you really think it matters? The naysaying of the internet technorati IMO has an absolutely negligible influence on the vast majority of consumers. They know Apple, they know iPad, they check out the latest new device at the Apple Store or other CE chain, they listen to word of mouth. The Verge et al. are not even a blip on most folks' radar.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
In some parts of the world the moped is the primary mode of family transportation over car. Can it work for some? Yes. Does it work for everyone? No. Same applies to iPP vs PC.

Reactions: Night Spring

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
Yes, sorry, so you are using your smaller Tab as a tablet. It still sounds to me like your other tablets are being used more like notebook/desktop than as tablets.

The real truth i hardly ever use my Mac Book Pro,i have four other windows computers, two running the new Win10, these computers work a world better then any Mac for my everyday use.

As for my Samsung 8 inch Tab Pro, it's main use is to hold pictures, its a photo display device.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I read a good article about the iPad Pro and the Macbook Pro.
The original title being: "If journalists reviewed Macs like iPads"

http://www.speirs.org/blog/2015/11/30/can-the-macbook-pro-replace-your-ipad

A lot of reviewer/journalist try too hard to make an iPad Pro a Macbook Pro. And guess what? It isn't!
I know Cook said his iPad Pro replaced his laptop, but he didn't say it was identical.
If you're like me and perhaps 80% of the people and just email, surf the web, write short articles etc. why not have an iPad (Pro)? Only thing I am missing is whatsapp and I can't work with 500-pages-1,5Gb-PDF files. Not yet at least.
I think Apple deserves a lot more credit on the iPad Pro then most journalist are giving it.

Reactions: iPadDad

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I read a good article about the iPad Pro and the Macbook Pro.
The original title being: "If journalists reviewed Macs like iPads"

http://www.speirs.org/blog/2015/11/30/can-the-macbook-pro-replace-your-ipad

A lot of reviewer/journalist try too hard to make an iPad Pro a Macbook Pro. And guess what? It isn't!
I know Cook said his iPad Pro replaced his laptop, but he didn't say it was identical.
If you're like me and perhaps 80% of the people and just email, surf the web, write short articles etc. why not have an iPad (Pro)? Only thing I am missing is whatsapp and I can't work with 500-pages-1,5Gb-PDF files. Not yet at least.
I think Apple deserves a lot more credit on the iPad Pro then most journalist are giving it.
That's the whole problem. I think that by and large, people were never expecting the ipad to replace their PC 100%. They were content to be able to perform light and low-level computing tasks on their tablets, and had no qualms about having to run back to their PCs for the more complex ones.

Tim Cook shot his mouth off when he claimed the ipad pro could replace your laptop. I believe that day will eventually come, but he should have at least waited till iOS was mature enough before opening his fat trap. That opened the ipad to a whole new level of scrutiny when people started fixating on nitty-gritty little things that it couldn't do, from managing browser downloads to updating device firmware. And like the boy who cried wolf, it's going to be harder to take any subsequent claims seriously, however true they may be.

The ipad pro has a lot going for it. Even artists have come out praising how the Apple Pencil is better than existing styluses. Split-screen is a dream on the larger display, and the improved specs is nothing to sneeze at, but all this got buried under all the noise.

"Such a pity" is all I can say.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Why? Apple made a kb cover. When attached, it looks like a laptop. Add in Tim's comments and you've got reviewers who solely focus on this issue.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
To be honest. It's the price.. I think by in large that's the missing argument in the iPad Pro replacing the laptop. Because let's be honest... Majority of folks surf the web, email, chat, play games, edit docs & other miscellaneous small task.

And when Tim Cook mentions that a iPad Pro replacing a laptop, it sure can... But the major obstacle is the price for the iPad Pro. For the price of the iPad Pro... And what you can do with it doesn't necessarily justify the price compared to other products in that price point.

I enjoy my iPad Pro... And for me it has provided me an alternative to a laptop. Although, I do feel if this was priced ridiculously low... There would be no question as to it whether it can replace a laptop.

Reactions: Night Spring

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think that by and large, people were never expecting the ipad to replace their PC 100%.

Well this is why people are expecting it to replace their laptops.

Tim Cook shot his mouth off when he claimed the ipad pro could replace your laptop.

I agree he shouldn't have said it, but yet, you have the head of Apple proclaiming that the iPad Pro can, so why are people surprised when it fails to live up to the standard Apple set.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Because we are in this weird period of time where tablets actually became good and rather than needing a full on desktop or laptop, we can get most things done quite easily on a tablet and the experience is almost always much more comfortable. Especially on a toilet.

And it's like the old "can't teach an old dog new tricks" saying. People are used to one thing and that's all they know...then this new thing comes along and they don't know what to think. They compare tablets to laptops because we have had laptops since they became popular decades ago.

Imagine if it was the other way around. If tablets came first and then laptops came along. People would be going nuts with complaints "but it's big and bulky and always has a keyboard on it I don't use. It also doesn't have a touchscreen and gets really hot. Bad battery life too"

So I don't know. Society is fickle

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I agree he shouldn't have said it, but yet, you have the head of Apple proclaiming that the iPad Pro can, so why are people surprised when it fails to live up to the standard Apple set.
I dunno. I find that Apple has been very careful about setting expectations about their products, and they often err on the side of being conservative. Under-promise and over-deliver. For example, Apple took great pains to point out the Apple Watch would have "all day battery life", even though it turned out to be longer in actual everyday use.

Maybe Tim was desperately trying to bring attention to what would otherwise have been written off as just a larger ipad, but in light of the criticism and derision that followed, maybe the latter doesn't seem so bad by comparison.

Reactions: Hellenek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.