Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
At his level, it's not like he's the one doing the grunt work though.
Yeah I don't see why it's so hard to believe the ceo would be able to use an iPad pro to get his work done. What does someone like him do? He's not coding or doing intensive graphical work. He's probably face timing, emailing and reading and creating documents.

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I read a good article about the iPad Pro and the Macbook Pro.
The original title being: "If journalists reviewed Macs like iPads"

http://www.speirs.org/blog/2015/11/30/can-the-macbook-pro-replace-your-ipad

A lot of reviewer/journalist try too hard to make an iPad Pro a Macbook Pro. And guess what? It isn't!
I know Cook said his iPad Pro replaced his laptop, but he didn't say it was identical.
If you're like me and perhaps 80% of the people and just email, surf the web, write short articles etc. why not have an iPad (Pro)? Only thing I am missing is whatsapp and I can't work with 500-pages-1,5Gb-PDF files. Not yet at least.
I think Apple deserves a lot more credit on the iPad Pro then most journalist are giving it.

I think it is because Apple has labeled it with the Pro title, i agree that Apple does need more credit on the iPad Pro.

But how interesting is the shift in people's perceptions on the iPad Pro since the launch and first reviews, people are starting to see what Apple are saying.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Well this is why people are expecting it to replace their laptops.

I agree he shouldn't have said it, but yet, you have the head of Apple proclaiming that the iPad Pro can, so why are people surprised when it fails to live up to the standard Apple set.
I think Cook's comments were unfortunate. Go look at the iPad Pro page on apple.com. The device is rarely shown with the keyboard attached. When I showed my iPP off to relatives over the holidays I never had a keyboard attached. Just used the pencil. Everybody was drooling over the big beautiful display and how light the device was for its size. And they really loved the pencil. The word laptop or desktop never came up once. Still I think tablets have replaced laptops for many people and I could see iPP doing the same down the road. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Apple announces Xcode for iPad at next years WWDC.

That's the whole problem. I think that by and large, people were never expecting the ipad to replace their PC 100%. They were content to be able to perform light and low-level computing tasks on their tablets, and had no qualms about having to run back to their PCs for the more complex ones.

Tim Cook shot his mouth off when he claimed the ipad pro could replace your laptop. I believe that day will eventually come, but he should have at least waited till iOS was mature enough before opening his fat trap. That opened the ipad to a whole new level of scrutiny when people started fixating on nitty-gritty little things that it couldn't do, from managing browser downloads to updating device firmware. And like the boy who cried wolf, it's going to be harder to take any subsequent claims seriously, however true they may be.

The ipad pro has a lot going for it. Even artists have come out praising how the Apple Pencil is better than existing styluses. Split-screen is a dream on the larger display, and the improved specs is nothing to sneeze at, but all this got buried under all the noise.

"Such a pity" is all I can say.

To be fair, Cook didn't say iPP could replace a laptop for everyone. He said "many, many people". But I agree he probably shouldn't have said it and certainly shouldn't of taken the bait when asked about Surface. It still boggles my mind that Apple would give a review unit to Walt Mossberg but not a publication that would've really focused on the Pencil. The Pencil is phenomenal but most reviews spent little time on it or pawned it off to someone else to do a quick drawing that could be thrown in the review at the last minute.

Last edited:
Reactions: haruhiko

the future

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
So, the consensus wrt the thread title is "no", right?

In conclusion: an apple cannot replace an orange, and neither can an orange replace an apple.

But if pushed, the orange is much better at impersonating an apple than vice versa.

I'll stick with my Pro orange, then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.