Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Honestly, I think it was you who missed his point. He doesn't mention what you said at all. Please read his post again.

His post is actually an argument for why Apple must be working on a default app system which they will release before 7.0 final. But the argument is very weak when you break it down and pretty much goes like this:
1. I think Apple are working on a default app system.
2. Their current way of deleting stock apps isn't a complete implementation of that system.
3. Therefore they must be working to complete their default app system.

But what I tried to say is that if you take away the assumption in point 1, and suggest instead that maybe Apple are simply providing a way for people who don't use stock apps to hide them, then if you judge the feature purely on that desire, this feature fulfills that desire. You don't reach the conclusion in point 3. And yes, what I've said is a bit tautological, but my point here is we can't assume what Apple are doing or planning based on this ability to delete stock apps. Removing stock apps is removing stock apps, and that's all it is, for now. Understand this and you'll realise how silly this sentence sounds: "Hiding them is all well and good, but you then cannot use them."

OK, let me rephrase my question then. Why should Apple let us hide stock apps if we cannot replace them? I have said it before and i'll say it again, the implementation is self harming because with the stock apps being hidden it removes the ability to do certain things, such as send emails via deep links or using Siri to ask for directions for example. Letting us hide stock apps and then popping up a message on the screen saying we need stock apps is an oxymoron and its baffling to me. If Apple is still working on fully implementing this system and that options to use third party apps in their place is in Apple's plans, then I can understand. But if "Removing stock apps is removing stock apps, and that's all it is" is their goal, then this I cannot understand.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I sure hope this option becomes available in iOS10 to change the app you want to use as your favorite app for e.g e-mail, navigate and other things.
Who knows we also get an option to adjust the control center to select our own favorite apps/settings. I wish that a Launcher (widget in Notification Center currently) like option would become available in the Control Center with an option to have more rows of icons if you want by using URL schemes.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
Because if this theory was true and if the email app is deleted for example and you click an email address, it would give a popup to select a default mail app, not to re-download Apple Mail.

The hooks simply are not there to show any intent to allow 3rd party default apps. So far the only showing is that you can hide the icons and the system warns you that you cannot use the app as you hid it (also deleting the user data/cache associated with it) without "reinstalling."

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
OK, let me rephrase my question then. Why should Apple let us hide stock apps if we cannot replace them? I have said it before and i'll say it again, the implementation is self harming because with the stock apps being hidden it removes the ability to do certain things, such as send emails via deep links or using Siri to ask for directions for example. Letting us hide stock apps and then popping up a message on the screen saying we need stock apps is an oxymoron and its baffling to me. If Apple is still working on fully implementing this system and that options to use third party apps in their place is in Apple's plans, then I can understand. But if "Removing stock apps is removing stock apps, and that's all it is" is their goal, then this I cannot understand.
Simply to address the majority of people who wanted something like this who only wanted it from the perspective of just not seeing an icon on their screen (or being faced with putting it somewhere off their home screen), and that's basically it. That said, Apple could very well be working on more in relation to it all, and this is basically just the first step to address the top level "concerns" from most typical users.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Simply to address the majority of people who wanted something like this who only wanted it from the perspective of just not seeing an icon on their screen (or being faced with putting it somewhere off their home screen), and that's basically it.

Okay. And they disable the functionality of these apps, why?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Okay. And they disable the functionality of these apps, why?
Well, the user decided that they dont need that app, and yet they are trying to do something that requires it, so what else is there to do but show the user that that is what is needed in that case so that the user can perhaps understand what that app is actually for that they hid and that if they want to do what they are trying to do they need that app.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Well, the user decided that they dont need that app, and yet they are trying to do something that requires it, so what else is there to do but show the user that that is what is needed in that case so that the user can perhaps understand what that app is actually for that they hid and that if they want to do what they are trying to do they need that app.

It still doesn't make any sense, it's just very unlike Apple to do something as half baked like this, it's even more unusual for them to just 'cave in' and give users a crippled method.

Reactions: pacorob

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It still doesn't make any sense, it's just very unlike Apple to do something as half baked like this, it's even more unusual for them to just 'cave in' and give users a crippled method.
Well, short of implementing full blown 3rd party apps as defaults support, which perhaps either requires more work, or perhaps Apple doesn't really want to do (yet), what else is there for Apple to do aside from nothing and leaving as it is and not addressing one of the more vocal (even if less meaningful) complaints? Seems like providing this type of "hiding" solution addresses the majority of the vocal complaints giving Apple a fair bit amount of breathing room in relation to it all.

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Well, short of implementing full blown 3rd party apps as defaults support, which perhaps either requires more work, or perhaps Apple doesn't really want to do (yet), what else is there for Apple to do aside from nothing and leaving as it is and not addressing one of the more vocal (even if less meaningful) complaints? Seems like providing this type of "hiding" solution addresses the majority of the vocal complaints giving Apple a fair bit amount of breathing room in relation to it all.

Personally I would of just taken the heat and given the feature when it was fully baked. Like multi tasking. Like copy and paste. Like larger screen iPhones. Like bigger iPads. See my point? Apple have held off before until it was right, in my opinion they should of here also.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Personally I would of just taken the heat and given the feature when it was fully baked. Like multi tasking. Like copy and paste. Like larger screen iPhones. Like bigger iPads. See my point? Apple have held off before until it was right, in my opinion they should of here also.
While I understand what you are saying, it seems like this will satisfy most typical users as far as "getting rid of an icon I don't really want to see" which is likely the main thing Apple was going for (as opposed to changing default apps or anything like that--which perhaps they will still hopefully implement at some point).

Reactions: GreyOS and shenfrey

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Just gonna say i dunno what I was smoking when I said 7.0 earlier instead of 10.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.