Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I guess what we need to lobby for is not just for supporting Waze on CarPlay, but rather for a sort of universal cross-manufacturer solution that would allow us to display just about any app from our smartphones onto the car in-built screen systems. That would be super neat. A sort of like we can now easily plug anything to any modern TV via an HDMI cable.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
...allow us to display just about any app from our smartphones onto the car in-built screen systems. That would be super neat. A sort of like we can now easily plug anything to any modern TV via an HDMI cable.
[sarcasm]...and please add split screen too. This way I can watch/scroll my favorite YouTube channels AND read/post pictures on my FaceBook account while I'm wasting time driving.[/sarcasm]

FIRST Apple, Google and NO car or aftermarket manufacture is going to EVER allow this (at least until we have a Level 5). However you can buy screen mirroring hookups that work with most infotainment systems. They are clumsy, expensive and really dangerous but.....

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Apple does not have our best interest in mind. I’m not sure if anybody noticed, but with the release of iOS11, only apple applications were allowed to open via Siri when connected to CarPlay. This had to do with “do not disturb while driving” segment. It initially blocked Siri from opening apps like amazon music which were on CarPlay. It doesn’t allow apps like Waze to be opened via Siri when connected to CarPlay. Now a person must touch the phone to open Waze. How is that safer than using Siri to open the app? So now I just control using my iphone for Waze and stream music via Bluetooth. “Do not disturb while driving” is disabled, so I can use the full functionality of Siri if needed.

Yes its Apples fault you circumvented their restrictions (whether for safety or not) to break the law in most areas.

While I can empathize with your situation its hard for me to have sympathy when it seems that the very nature of those restrictions are there for people such as yourself.

Regardless, like I said I have nothing against Waze and I think bringing a fully functional handsfree way of using it would only benefit the whole CarPlay experience. However I don't think we will see it because like with Android Auto Waze ask for users manual input, going as far as asking you if traffic conditions are valid and into further questioning about the actual cause/condition (police presence, crash, etc) on screen.

I know I sound like the safety police but I had a friend who was killed by a distracted driver using their phone so its tough for me to see restrictions that prevent people from doing the same thing and not appreciate them on a certain level.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
[sarcasm]...and please add split screen too. This way I can watch/scroll my favorite YouTube channels AND read/post pictures on my FaceBook account while I'm wasting time driving.[/sarcasm]

Sarcasm aside, I am not asking for Facebook or YouTube in the car. All I am asking for is to be able to use any navigation app from any smartphone on a car’s own infotainment screen. It’s 2018, is it really such a big deal to implement this technologically?

But if I had to choose between Apple Maps and Waze, today I would definitely go with Waze.

Reactions: cyclocommuter

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
But if I had to choose between Apple Maps and Waze, today I would definitely go with Waze.

Apple Maps is the worst navigation app out of all of them. I’ve been using google maps on my phone instead of using CarPlay because it’s light years ahead apple maps. One day a few weeks ago I was late to work because Apple showed no traffic but there was a 15 minute backup(out of a 25 minute regular commute time). I switched mid commute and google had the exact arrival time and Apple still showed no traffic.

It’s so annoying that I’m debating spending the $200 to trade in my 7+ to verizon and getting a pixel 2 xl.

Reactions: BigSky20

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Apple Maps is the worst navigation app out of all of them. I’ve been using google maps on my phone instead of using CarPlay because it’s light years ahead apple maps. One day a few weeks ago I was late to work because Apple showed no traffic but there was a 15 minute backup(out of a 25 minute regular commute time). I switched mid commute and google had the exact arrival time and Apple still showed no traffic.

It’s so annoying that I’m debating spending the $200 to trade in my 7+ to verizon and getting a pixel 2 xl.
I am asking this because I live in a smaller city and don't rely on traffic data to get me to work. I am curious how would have google saved you in this case vs. Apple Maps? Would you have been rerouted to a way with less traffic or would you have seen this delay and left a bit earlier for work?

harlenmm77

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
I am asking this because I live in a smaller city and don't rely on traffic data to get me to work. I am curious how would have google saved you in this case vs. Apple Maps? Would you have been rerouted to a way with less traffic or would you have seen this delay and left a bit earlier for work?

I would have left earlier. There is really only one way for me to get to work.

SWHighlander

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
I would like this too but I really don't think it's gonna happen. I think there are several strategic reasons why Apple and Google don't want each other's maps on their versions of the infotainment software. Car tech is the next battlefield for these two companies. They are going to lock down and compete hard.
And it's one of a few reasons that for the first time in over 10 years I am considering switching from Apple to Android phones.

jgreg7

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2018
I noticed most of the posts on this are rather old, however I would still like to had my 2-cents...

Apple makes a great phone (iPhone) however they should stay out of the map business. The Apple map program is a rather poor attempt at a mapping program, far behind Google maps, Garmin, Magellan, etc. Many of the destinations are still incorrect, and the directions I get seem to want to take on some sort of scenic route through the bad side of town.

I have used Waze for years, now switching to Apple maps with Carplay seems like stepping back to the 2003 when I bought my first GPS. (Although my first GPS was clunky, it was at least accurate).

If Apple wants to depart from phone design and get into the navigation business, they should either subcontract the service to Waze (or Google), or design a competing system that actually works. Although, the simplest solution would be to simply allow Waze onto Carplay and be done with it. I am sure they could find a way to keep their advertising revenue like they do on everything else.

Steadfastly adhering to this poor excuse for a mapping program may wind up costing Apple customers if a better solution comes along. It has happened before when Apple first came out with the iPhone, they partnered only with AT&T, and steadfastly refused to sell a Verizon or t-mobile iPhone version. This late entry into the Verizon market allowed the Android phone a long time to gain a firm foothold.

Apple, please get with it.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Or, it could all be solved with a simple work around.
Let CarPlay airplay the iPhone like AppleTV can do.
Just send what is on the iphone screen to the CarPlay screen.
Not ideal but better then nothing.

Reactions: jgreg7

Afflin

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2018
yes, please. Current CarPlay really sucks without Waze + every time it plays a notification message will make it turns to play music, which I never want! So frustrating and makes me consider switch to Android.

Reactions: BigSky20

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
The problem with waze in our area is all the fake news and reports, makes it totally unreliable and a poor excuse for a route finding program. I used Apple maps for the first time in about a year last week and I was pleasantly surprised in the improvements, much better than that quirky Google maps thing that tries to grab your personal data and sells it to the highest bidder. Facebook finally was exposed, google is next.

For Apple maps to work for you, you need to like the way TomTom does routing and displays info.

Every program seems to have quirks, google used to routinely miss route me.

Anyway where is the petition to keep that waze crap off our devices again :)

Reactions: ColoArtist

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The problem with waze in our area is all the fake news and reports, makes it totally unreliable and a poor excuse for a route finding program. I used Apple maps for the first time in about a year last week and I was pleasantly surprised in the improvements, much better than that quirky Google maps thing that tries to grab your personal data and sells it to the highest bidder. Facebook finally was exposed, google is next.

For Apple maps to work for you, you need to like the way TomTom does routing and displays info.

Every program seems to have quirks, google used to routinely miss route me.

Anyway where is the petition to keep that waze crap off our devices again :)
You can simply not install and not use what you don't want.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
My aggravation is having what’s on the car screen mirror what’s on the phone. Why can’t two different things be shown at once?

Like umm Apple Maps does? Not had my CarPlay head unit long so can't comment if it is new in iOS but Apple Maps if you have the phone display on shows map on the head unit and turn list on the phone...just saying' :)

If you want a full second App then that will be down to hardware, the second app running will double the RAM and CPU needed...

ajm1611

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Ohio
Apple does not have our best interest in mind.
+1
I know I sound like the safety police...

If Apple wants to depart from phone design and get into the navigation business, ...

Apple does not have safety or our best interest at heart - their interest is simply revenue. Apple, like Google, sells advertising within their mapping app - either as businesses appearing on the maps or ads when stopped.

Apple does not want to give up the ad revenue by allowing other mapping/navigation apps. They were late to the map/nav game on the iPhone and iPad and are now trying to keep exclusivity with Carplay.

I thought computer hardware manufacturers learned long ago that software drives hardware sales -- find the software that meets your requirements and then purchase the appropriate hardware required to run it. Waze is a leader in the navigation/mapping space and I expect users will jump ship to expand Waze's capabilities in their vehicles. I certainly will.

In fact, I think will try wi-fi tethering an Android device to my iPhone for use with Waze & Carplay as a possible (interim) solution.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
+1

In fact, I think will try wi-fi tethering an Android device to my iPhone for use with Waze & Carplay as a possible (interim) solution.

I had thought about that exact thing since my car does both. Has anyone tried it?

I can pick up a cheap Android phone to use with Android Car Play and tether it to my phone when I drive.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

ajm1611

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Ohio
I had thought about that exact thing since my car does both. Has anyone tried it?

After googling a bit I found a thread on another forum where someone had done this. Based on the discussion it seems the only limitation is that one would have no phone service as CarPlay and Android Auto both disable bluetooth. Not sure this is a problem for me if I can use the iPhone directly for calls with the phone's speakerphone.
[doublepost=1526221057][/doublepost]
Granted I'm replying to a post from last December, but...

It would seem to me (a non Developer) that it may not be as closed off as initially reported.

https://developer.apple.com/carplay/human-interface-guidelines/overview/introduction/

Note in the page you linked to Apple cites their "Maps, Message and Phone" apps but goes on to state that you can design "audio app, automaker app, messaging app, or VoIP app" -- no maps for you.

Note too that individuals cannot develop CarPlay apps. Take a look at the fine print at the bottom of this page https://developer.apple.com/carplay/ which reads:
So one has to be a corporate entity to participate in CarPlay development and have access to the API's and policies.

It has been stated on other sites that the CarPlay API 1) is not public 2) allows audio applications to be developed (many are available in this space) 3) does not allow (either by API or/or licensing/policy) navigation apps to be developed.

Google would have already done this if Apple allowed it. They have worked with Ford Motor Company to integrate Waze with Ford's Sync 3 platform (bypassing CarPlay).

Last edited:

trouble747

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Question about using waze on my phone when connected to my car (2018 honda accord): Waze seems to take over audio, which is then never returned to the car (basically as soon as waze makes a sound, the radio goes silent and stays silent). I actually can't even access the car's non-carplay audio again without unplugging my phone. Do others experience this and is there any setting on the phone or in waze to avoid it? I thought waze could be set to always use the phone speaker, but that doesn't seem to work here.

ajm1611

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2018
Ohio
Waze seems to take over audio, which is then never returned to the car (basically as soon as waze makes a sound, the radio goes silent and stays silent).

You did not mention which device you are using or how it is connected (i.e. wired or bluetooth).

I use an iPhone via USB cable into my car with Ford Sync. I have seen this in the past and it (and other problems) has been resolved in a number of different ways. Most frequently I see the device(s) get into strange operating modes. I would start by rebooting your phone - this often solves issues for me with the car. In other cases I've had to reboot the car stereo (reset Ford Sync). In at least one case an iOS update broke things and a subsequent release resolved the issue. I suspect a broken Waze update could cause similar issues as well.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
It’s in Google’s court to develop a Waze app, not Apple’s. I don’t believe there’s a limitation preventing Google from releasing a version of Waze for CarPlay. On Android Auto, it took a while before Waze got released. I have a feeling in the next year or two, we’ll see both Google Maps and Waze on CarPlay.

Edit: Nope, it’s Apple’s fault.
100% on the developer side. A friend is making a map app and he has no problem making it so it works on Apple car play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.