Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captainjohnsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
Hi friends! I'm looking to see if it's possible to fix one of my biggest annoyances in macOS right now. I have a 14-inch notched MacBook Pro, where it makes sense to have the menu bar always visible (even in full screen apps). However, I use the Mac either docked or connected to a 16:9 monitor about half the time. In these cases (just the monitor screen, or Mac + monitor), I would like the menu bar to be hidden when in full screen on the monitor so that 16:9 videos fit perfectly or I get the extra screen space.

Currently, I have to go into settings (which is in itself an annoyance with the redesign) and change the menu bar setting manually. Is there any way I can create a script or BetterTouchTool shortcut (ideally an automation) that will change this setting based on whether my monitor is connected or not?

(This is my first post here, so please forgive me if there are any formatting errors or Forums faux pas!)

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I would guess that you could use Apple's Shortcuts app to create a shortcut to do this, but I'm not sure you could automate it.

Perhaps someone with more experience using the app can chime-in here.

captainjohnsmith

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
I would guess that you could use Apple's Shortcuts app to create a shortcut to do this, but I'm not sure you could automate it.

Perhaps someone with more experience using the app can chime-in here.
I'll take a look into that this weekend, thanks! Hopefully there's an option now that Shortcuts is getting more powerful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.