Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevvyc

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Just a heads up that I installed High Sierra just now, but when I launched iTunes 12.6.2 it gives me the following error “An unknown error occurred (-45076).” and then iTunes terminates making it unusable.

I’ve tried reinstalling 12.6.2 to no avail. I’ve also logged into a different user on the same machine and am still getting the same error. Had no problems downgrading 12.7 to 12.6.2 prior to upgrading to High Sierra.

brian017

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Kilkenny, Ireland
Just a heads up that I installed High Sierra just now, but when I launched iTunes 12.6.2 it gives me the following error “An unknown error occurred (-45076).” and then iTunes terminates making it unusable.

I’ve tried reinstalling 12.6.2 to no avail. I’ve also logged into a different user on the same machine and am still getting the same error. Had no problems downgrading 12.7 to 12.6.2 prior to upgrading to High Sierra.

I'm having the same issue. Tried looking for a fix but no luck yet

Hackintosh HD

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
/Volumes/
I'm having the same issue. Tried looking for a fix but no luck yet

Here's how to fix error -45076 if you have downgraded iTunes from 12.7 to 12.6.2 still under Sierra and have then upgraded your OS to High Sierra (basically what @driveparty has documented in this thread's post #8):
  1. Re-download the iTunes 12.6.2-DMG directly from the Apple Servers.
  2. Make a backup of ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl (just in case).
  3. Delete iTunes 12.6.2 from your High Sierra Mac, this time entirely:
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Documentation/Applications/iTunes/Acknowledgements.rtf /Library/Documentation/iPod/Acknowledgements.rtf /Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework/ /Applications/iTunes.app/ /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework/ /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.fpsd.plist /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreFP.framework/ /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreADI.framework/ /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.adid.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/UAUPlugins/ADIUserAccountUpdater.bundle/ /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/MobileDevices.bundle/ /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.usbmuxd.plist /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AirTrafficHost.framework/ /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework/ /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUsbEthernetHost
  4. Install iTunes 12.6.2 again from the DMG downloaded above.
SIP must be de-activated, of course.

Hope this helps!

lpfish

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017
Subject says it all.

High Sierra has some huge advantages for me to warrant doing the upgrade/clean install on my MBA.

Except one: iTunes.

I don't like the idea of having the apps removed from iTunes, and being stuck having to download everything directly to your phone or iPad. This not only kills anyone without a huge data plan (some apps are pushing 1GB!), and WiFi speeds are not fast enough to carry that type of download without taking a considerable amount of time. If you have a Mac hardwired (read: ethernet) to your router, you'd get much faster speeds (1Gbps to even 10Gbps, depending on the router and pipe coming in)! Plus, you lose a centralized place to manage your apps, backups of your iDevices, and redundancy of those backups (Time Machine). This is not a good move that Apple has made.

So with that, if one upgrades or clean installs High Sierra, can you downgrade only the iTunes component? Has anyone with the public Betas or the GM tried that? And if so, what were the results?

BL.
I upgraded to High Sierra, I was still on iTunes 12.6.2 before the update. iTunes won't launch anymore. I get the -45076 error. I did a clean re-install of 12.6.2. Issue remains. Can't launch 12.6.2

kevvyc

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Here's how to fix error -45076 if you have downgraded iTunes from 12.7 to 12.6.2 still under Sierra and have then upgraded your OS to High Sierra (basically what @driveparty has documented in this thread's post #8):
    Code:
    sudo rm -rf /Library/Documentation/Applications/iTunes/Acknowledgements.rtf /Library/Documentation/iPod/Acknowledgements.rtf /Library/Frameworks/iTunesLibrary.framework/ /Applications/iTunes.app/ /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/iTunesAccess.framework/ /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.fpsd.plist /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreFP.framework/ /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreADI.framework/ /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.adid.plist /System/Library/CoreServices/UAUPlugins/ADIUserAccountUpdater.bundle/ /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/MobileDevices.bundle/ /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.usbmuxd.plist /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AirTrafficHost.framework/ /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DeviceLink.framework/ /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleMobileDevice.kext/ /System/Library/Extensions/AppleUsbEthernetHost

Hope this helps!

Thanks for suggesting this but i just tried it and it doesn’t work. Guess I have to roll back to an old time machine image and rebuild from there.

Hackintosh HD

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
/Volumes/
I upgraded to High Sierra, I was still on iTunes 12.6.2 before the update. iTunes won't launch anymore. I get the -45076 error. I did a clean re-install of 12.6.2. Issue remains. Can't launch 12.6.2

Thanks for suggesting this but i just tried it and it doesn’t work. Guess I have to roll back to an old time machine image and rebuild from there.

@lpfish , @kevvyc : Did you really execute the entire bash rm -rf … line above? - In my understanding, the -45076 is caused by an ill-fated attempt to downgrade iTunes 12.7 to 12.6.2 by just deleting /Applications/iTunes.app and re-installing iTunes from version 12.6.2's DMG. This, however, results in a mix of an iTunes 12.6.2 app in the Application folder and of iTunes 12.7 components in all other locations (Frameworks etc. pp.).

One last thing you could try is to backup your 12.6.2 iTunes Library.itl file, then to re-apply the iTunes 12.7 update and then to cleanly and fully downgrade as described above.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I am still getting errors when running the RM command. I have run csrutil disable from the Recovery Terminal, yet I still get "Permission denied" when I run the RM command like stated in message 8...

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I am still getting errors when running the RM command. I have run csrutil disable from the Recovery Terminal, yet I still get "Permission denied" when I run the RM command like stated in message 8...
That'll be because your regular account doesn't have permissions to the files. See post #28 above - you need to put sudo ahead of the rm command to run it as root. You'll be prompted for your system password.

kevvyc

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
@lpfish , @kevvyc : Did you really execute the entire bash rm -rf … line above? - In my understanding, the -45076 is caused by an ill-fated attempt to downgrade iTunes 12.7 to 12.6.2 by just deleting /Applications/iTunes.app and re-installing iTunes from version 12.6.2's DMG. This, however, results in a mix of an iTunes 12.6.2 app in the Application folder and of iTunes 12.7 components in all other locations (Frameworks etc. pp.).

One last thing you could try is to backup your 12.6.2 iTunes Library.itl file, then to re-apply the iTunes 12.7 update and then to cleanly and fully downgrade as described above.

Thanks for setting me in the right direction. Your suggestion does work. I was just removing the iTunes.app only (sorry the quoted line starts with the iTunes application and I wrongly presumed it was just the same thing).

So... hopefully others can learn from my mistake and stay with 12.6.2 safely!

lpfish

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2017

Thanks for suggesting. I tried exactly was you suggested. Issue remains.
[doublepost=1506775317][/doublepost]

I tried this last step, but now I'm getting this message from Terminal: "
override rw-r--r-- root/wheel restricted,compressed"

MacGarage

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Ohio
    Code:

Hope this helps!
I ran the script and items listed before upgrading to 10.13 and it worked fine and I did not have to deal with the SIP either. Thanks!

RocK111

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
Thanks Hackintosh HD,

Only your with your advise I can manage to downgrade iTunes in High Sierra.

Itunes 12.6.2 open without any error. Only I can't seem to sign in my appleID password.
Even after resetting a with a new password not working too. Any body having the same problem?

Any advise? Thanks in advance..

Reactions: Hal Itosis

Hackintosh HD

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
/Volumes/
Thanks Hackintosh HD,

Only your with your advise I can manage to downgrade iTunes in High Sierra.

Itunes 12.6.2 open without any error. Only I can't seem to sign in my appleID password.
Even after resetting a with a new password not working too. Any body having the same problem?

Any advise? Thanks in advance..

Just checked, but I have no problems logging into my account from within the downgraded iTunes 12.6.2.

What exactly happens when you choose to login in iTunes' 'account' menu? If you check the Console in parallel, is there any corresponding message?

RocK111

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
I'm getting "this action could not be completed. try again" after entering the password.

The thing is even iCould under system pref can't sign in too. After re-installing 12.7 iTunes, I get to log in iTunes and iCould settings.

Before High Sierra, iTunes got updated to 12.7. Within Sierra its was an easy downgrade to 12.6 where everything works.
After installing High Sierra final build that comes with 12.7, only with you help get to down to 12.6 and without error.

Just having sign-in trouble. I must have miss a step or something.

Hackintosh HD

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
/Volumes/
I'm getting "this action could not be completed. try again" after entering the password.

The thing is even iCould under system pref can't sign in too. After re-installing 12.7 iTunes, I get to log in iTunes and iCould settings.

Before High Sierra, iTunes got updated to 12.7. Within Sierra its was an easy downgrade to 12.6 where everything works.
After installing High Sierra final build that comes with 12.7, only with you help get to down to 12.6 and without error.

Just having sign-in trouble. I must have miss a step or something.

It's difficult to tell what causes this in your situation, but in earlier OS versions (El Capitan, I think), the "This action could not be completed. Try again."-error was caused by a deleted or permission-damaged /Users/Shared folder. This could be easily fixed by …

1. … closing iTunes and/or rsp. the iCloud system control panel,
2. opening the Terminal and executing the three following commands:
3. sudo mkdir -p /Users/Shared
4. sudo chown root:wheel /Users/Shared
5. sudo chmod -R 1777 /Users/Shared

EDIT: This is probably not the relevant solution for the problem after an iTunes downgrade. Please try the solution described in post #58 instead.

Last edited:

RocK111

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2017
It's difficult to tell what causes this in your situation, but in earlier OS versions (El Capitan, I think), the "This action could not be completed. Try again."-error was caused by a deleted or permission-damaged /Users/Shared folder. This could be easily fixed by …

1. … closing iTunes and/or rsp. the iCloud system control panel,
2. opening the Terminal and executing the three following commands:
3. sudo mkdir -p /Users/Shared
4. sudo chown root:wheel /Users/Shared
5. sudo chmod -R 1777 /Users/Shared

Thanks, will try that and report back..

ArrayOfLilly

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2017
Budapest, Hungary
Thanks, will try that and report back..

I had the same issue, my final solution was installing High Sierra again (like an update). (Before reinstall I tried the previous commands, maintenance scripts, repair permissions, changing passwords, log in at Internet Accounts Menu, etc.

After reinstall I gave the same error message but somehow I got in. It was unmistakable.

Now I have High Sierra and a working copy of iTunes 12.6.2, good luck!

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Well, good news for me!

I didn't have to downgrade anything at all! prior to doing the install, I simply:
  1. final sync and backups of my iDevices,
  2. Time Machine backup of my Mac on Sierra.
From there, I created the USB install stick that I normally do (and one for Sierra in case I need to roll back). Then I started the install, where I:
  1. reformatted my entire Mac as APFS Encrypted (This was important, as I initially selected APFS Case sensitive Encrypted, which TM did not like),
  2. Performed the installation, and selected to transfer all my data back to my Mac from TM in the installation process).
One thing that is really cool is how in conjunction APFS Encryption and FileVault 2 work. While you'd need a password to unlock the entire disk on startup or waking up from sleep, If you had FileVault enabled, the same credentials you had there will work, as you can select that user using Filevault to be one to unlock the disk.

Also, while I assume that it came from TM instead of the default install, iTunes was still at 12.6.2, so I'm good to go there! Overall, it all seems snappy to me, and that's on a mid-2011 MBA that is still going strong 6 years later. Still going to keep this thread around in case we get forced into the 12.7 upgrade or they come out with another solutions.

BL.

Hackintosh HD

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
/Volumes/

I am now getting that, too, probably my last login's token has now expired. I'm not sure, though, if this is really linked to the iTunes 12.2 to 12.6.2 downgrade - as far as I can see, there are also reports of this problem by people on High Sierra who don't mention having downgraded iTunes. - Any hints on this are more than welcome, of course ...

Hackintosh HD

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
/Volumes/
To get rid of the "This action could not be completed. Try again."-message, I tried upgrading to iTunes 12.7, performing a logout in iTunes 12.7 and applying the entire downgrade procedure to 12.6.2 again. While this would indeed enable iTunes 12.6.2 to login with your Apple ID again, the "This action could not be completed. Try again."-problem is back after a reboot.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
To get rid of the "This action could not be completed. Try again."-message, I tried upgrading to iTunes 12.7, performing a logout in iTunes 12.7 and applying the entire downgrade procedure to 12.6.2 again. While this would indeed enable iTunes 12.6.2 to login with your Apple ID again, the "This action could not be completed. Try again."-problem is back after a reboot.

Did you perform the High Sierra install as an upgrade to an existing OS X on your Mac, or as a clean install?

I ask, because when I did the install, I first backed up my existing Mac (running Sierra) via TM, created the USB stick for the installation, booted to that, reformatted my HD, installed HS cleanly onto that, and during the install process, migrated everything back to my Mac from the TM backup I previously took. That got me a clean HS install (formatted APFS Encrypted) and iTunes 12.6.2.

BL.

Hackintosh HD

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
/Volumes/
Did you perform the High Sierra install as an upgrade to an existing OS X on your Mac, or as a clean install?

In my case it was an upgrade of an already existing Sierra installation:

1. Installation of iTunes 12.7 still under Sierra,
2. downgrade of iTunes 12.7 to 12.6.2, unfortunately following the incomplete how-to by OSXDaily,
3. upgrade of Sierra to High Sierra,
4. another installation of iTunes 12.7 followed by another downgrade to 12.6.2 (done right this time as described in post #28),
5. repeated step 4 to investigate the "This action could not be completed. Try again."-problem.

Maybe I'll try to diff the iTunes 12.6.2 download with the iTunes packages in the High Sierra installer to see if there's maybe a difference between the two that could explain why the Apple ID login is constantly failing ...

bradl

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
In my case it was an upgrade of an already existing Sierra installation:

1. Installation of iTunes 12.7 still under Sierra,
2. downgrade of iTunes 12.7 to 12.6.2, unfortunately following the incomplete how-to by OSXDaily,
3. upgrade of Sierra to High Sierra,
4. another installation of iTunes 12.7 followed by another downgrade to 12.6.2 (done right this time as described in post #28),
5. repeated step 4 to investigate the "This action could not be completed. Try again."-problem.

Hmm.. do you have a backup of some sort of iTunes 12.6.* on Sierra prior to upgrading it to 12.7? You may be able to select that particular backup for the clean install of HS.

BL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.