Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hackintosh HD

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2017
/Volumes/
@bradl : Thanks a lot for the suggestion, but I haven't and frankly I've now gotten a bit eager to understand what exactly is going on with iTunes 12.6.2/12.7 and High Sierra. :)

@RocK111 : I've analysed the "This action could not be completed. Try again." problem further and I think I've a fix for you. We're basically dealing with two problems of a downgraded iTunes 12.6.2 under High Sierra here:
  1. The "An unknown error occurred (-45076)." problem described in this thread above which I have now narrowed down to a difference in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreADI.framework. The iTunes 12.6.2 bundled with the macOS 10.13.0 High Sierra installer uses CoreADI.framework 4.12.0 while iTunes 12.7's version of CoreADI.framework is 4.13.0. Obviously, the iTunes 12.6.2 binary is missing parts in CoreADI.framework 4.13.0 that were still present in version 4.12.0. Therefore the "An unknown error occurred (-45076) error". Once you replace CoreADI.framework 4.13.0 (iTunes 12.7) by 4.12.0 (iTunes 12.6.2), iTunes 12.6.2 will immediately launch without the -45076 error again.

2. The "This action could not be completed. Try again." problem with any Apple ID login on the machine that may occur when iTunes has been downgraded from 12.7 to 12.6.2 following the initial instructions of post #28. I couldn't narrow that down yet to a specific component, but as the problem is not occurring when the components from iTunes 12.7 are active, one can follow the following downgrading strategy:
Fix for "This action could not be completed. Try again." Apple ID login problem after an iTunes 12.7 -> 12.6.2 downgrade

The following strategy assumes you have downgraded iTunes 12.7 to 12.6.2 under Sierra or High Sierra and have run into the problem that you can neither login nor logoff with your Apple ID in any relevant system dialog (iTunes, App Store, iCloud ...) with the error message "This action could not be completed. Try again.".

1. Make sure the macOS System Integrity Protection (SIP) is turned off for you to be able to perform the following steps.
2. Backup your ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl file (just in case).
3. Upgrade to iTunes 12.7 again via the Software Update.
4. Do not launch iTunes 12.7 (this way, you do not have to restore your iTunes Library.itl file, as the database upgrade to version 12.7 obviously does not occur during the iTunes 12.7 upgrade, but when the iTunes 12.7 application is launched for the first time).
5. Launch CharlesSoft's Pacifist, choose to open Apple installation packages (third choice in the application's menu) and choose the macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 installer from your HD/SSD.
6. Open the contents of Core.pkg, highlight /Applications/iTunes.app, right-click and install it to the pre-defined location from the context menu. Use administrator privileges and let Pacifist replace files when the corresponding dialogs appear. This will restore the iTunes 12.6.2 app while maintaining the iTunes 12.7 components across the system.
7. Still in the contents of Core.pkg, highlight /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreADI.framework, right-click and install it to the pre-defined location from the context menu. Use administrator privileges and let Pacifist replace files again when the corresponding dialogs appear.
8. Reboot.
9. If you're on a Mac still supported by macOS 10.13 High Sierra: Turn macOS System Integrity Protection (SIP) on again. If your Mac is not supported my High Sierra and you've installed the OS using e.g. dosdude1's patcher, leave SIP off.

Hope this helps anybody with the "This action could not be completed. Try again" problem!

Feedback is highly welcome, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Champagne_5S

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Not that this would help anyone, but I never installed iTunes 12.7 before upgrading to High Sierra and after that, I actually still have 12.6.2 (which works perfectly fine). The High Sierra upgrade did not upgrade iTunes for me.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
@bradl : Thanks a lot for the suggestion, but I haven't and frankly I've now gotten a bit eager to understand what exactly is going on with iTunes 12.6.2/12.7 and High Sierra. :)

@RocK111 : I've analysed the "This action could not be completed. Try again." problem further and I think I've a fix for you. We're basically dealing with two problems of a downgraded iTunes 12.6.2 under High Sierra here:
  1. The "An unknown error occurred (-45076)." problem described in this thread above which I have now narrowed down to a difference in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreADI.framework. The iTunes 12.6.2 bundled with the macOS 10.13.0 High Sierra installer uses CoreADI.framework 4.12.0 while iTunes 12.7's version of CoreADI.framework is 4.13.0. Obviously, the iTunes 12.6.2 binary is missing parts in CoreADI.framework 4.13.0 that were still present in version 4.12.0. Therefore the "An unknown error occurred (-45076) error". Once you replace CoreADI.framework 4.13.0 (iTunes 12.7) by 4.12.0 (iTunes 12.6.2), iTunes 12.6.2 will immediately launch without the -45076 error again.

2. The "This action could not be completed. Try again." problem with any Apple ID login on the machine that may occur when iTunes has been downgraded from 12.7 to 12.6.2 following the initial instructions of post #28. I couldn't narrow that down yet to a specific component, but as the problem is not occurring when the components from iTunes 12.7 are active, one can follow the following downgrading strategy:
Fix for "This action could not be completed. Try again." Apple ID login problem after an iTunes 12.7 -> 12.6.2 downgrade

The following strategy assumes you have downgraded iTunes 12.7 to 12.6.2 under Sierra or High Sierra and have run into the problem that you can neither login nor logoff with your Apple ID in any relevant system dialog (iTunes, App Store, iCloud ...) with the error message "This action could not be completed. Try again.".

1. Make sure the macOS System Integrity Protection (SIP) is turned off for you to be able to perform the following steps.
2. Backup your ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl file (just in case).
3. Upgrade to iTunes 12.7 again via the Software Update.
4. Do not launch iTunes 12.7 (this way, you do not have to restore your iTunes Library.itl file, as the database upgrade to version 12.7 obviously does not occur during the iTunes 12.7 upgrade, but when the iTunes 12.7 application is launched for the first time).
5. Launch CharlesSoft's Pacifist, choose to open Apple installation packages (third choice in the application's menu) and choose the macOS High Sierra 10.13.0 installer from your HD/SSD.
6. Open the contents of Core.pkg, highlight /Applications/iTunes.app, right-click and install it to the pre-defined location from the context menu. Use administrator privileges and let Pacifist replace files when the corresponding dialogs appear. This will restore the iTunes 12.6.2 app while maintaining the iTunes 12.7 components across the system.
7. Still in the contents of Core.pkg, highlight /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreADI.framework, right-click and install it to the pre-defined location from the context menu. Use administrator privileges and let Pacifist replace files again when the corresponding dialogs appear.
8. Reboot.
9. If you're on a Mac still supported by macOS 10.13 High Sierra: Turn macOS System Integrity Protection (SIP) on again. If your Mac is not supported my High Sierra and you've installed the OS using e.g. dosdude1's patcher, leave SIP off.

Hope this helps anybody with the "This action could not be completed. Try again" problem!

Feedback is highly welcome, of course.
See this new thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ability-to-download-app-store-apps-i.2076327/

Sunlion

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2018
Thanx for your great instructions, I have succeeded to downgrade to iTunes 10 on High Sierra, and it works fine.
The only problem left is itunes does not respond to the remote. I can change the volume level on Mac OS but not skipping titles on iTunes. Has anyone an idea how to fix this?
Thank you!
(Sorry for my bad english)

Reactions: Partron22

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Off World
Hi Davidlv,

So I have a similar situation, was able to instal iTunes Vs. 12.5.5.5 into HS (I Really love the MiniPlayer!) Everything worked except being able to sign into my account and got the similar dialog warnings others have mentioned. Do you think your method might work for another re-install attempt at IT 12.5.5.5. or am i just flogging a dead horse at this point?
Currently on IT 12.8 and NOT liking the big blocky Miniplayer

Thanks-Blade

MikeRMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2018
I ran the script and items listed before upgrading to 10.13 and it worked fine and I did not have to deal with the SIP either. Thanks!
Thanks for the list of rm items to run. This worked for me to downgrade to iTunes 12.4.3 on High Sierra and had no problem logging back into the iTunes Store. I can now still organize iphone apps on the Mac thanks you!
Yes SIP was deactivated.

rschletty

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2015
2/7/2022. The script worked fine for uninstalling iTunes 12.9.5 which got installed when I tried to upgrade my 2009 Mac Pro from High Sierra to Mojave. The installation failed because I failed to use DosDude1's prescribed method for unsupported Macs. After reinstalling macOS 10.13.6 via Recovery Mode, I was left with the newer iTunes 12.9.5 version which could not run. All is well again running iTunes 12.8.3. Yes, I had to disable and then re-enable SIP – System Intergity Protection – in order to run the script from Terminal.

See https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...han-12-7-in-high-sierra.2068491/post-25142538

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.