Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have an iPhone 13 Pro and have non problems, also have Mac and iPad.

I bought the nothing ear(1) and am quite impressed, and now I’ve seen (all the hype) around the Nothing Phone (1).

What I’m wondering is how easy is it to just swap out my SIM and put in an Android phone, and use it, and then swap back?

I’m presuming that WhatsApp wouldn’t work? Or is it tied to the mobile number (I’m in UK).

I know I wouldn’t get Apple/iOS/iCloud features obviously when on Android, but just wondering how, or if, this works.

Does anyone do this? I’m not talking about separate SIM/number I’m talking about my own personal SIM and number.

Thanks

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

I bought the nothing ear(1) and am quite impressed, and now I’ve seen (all the hype) around the Nothing Phone (1).

What I’m wondering is how easy is it to just swap out my SIM and put in an Android phone, and use it, and then swap back?

I’m presuming that WhatsApp wouldn’t work? Or is it tied to the mobile number (I’m in UK).

I know I wouldn’t get Apple/iOS/iCloud features obviously when on Android, but just wondering how, or if, this works.

Does anyone do this? I’m not talking about separate SIM/number I’m talking about my own personal SIM and number.

Thanks
My understanding is the SIM just contains the carrier information. It’s not like back in the day when your contacts were stored on there. In theory if you took the SIM out of your iPhone and put it in another phone would enable that phone to access to your cellular network and phone number. You would have to set up that phone however you wanted.

The questions I would have is will your carrier give you grief for randomly switching between phones? I’m pretty sure they can tell what phone is using the SIM.

If that’s not a problem then you were just have to set up the android phone however you want it. There’s ways to transfer over contacts and everything. I would put Google photos on your iPhone that way all your photos would be on there. I think there’s also a way to do that with contacts.

The only other concern I would have is if you’re doing this frequently say for example every day is there a possibility you could damage either the SIM or the tray on one of the phones. It’s only meant to be taken out and replaced a few times because most people get a SIM they keep it until they switch carriers. If it’s just something you do infrequently maybe once a month it may not be a problem. I’ve never done this so perhaps someone here who has experience switching would be able to give better advice on this.

If any of my information is wrong someone please feel to correct it because this is my basic understanding of the topic. I don’t work at a phone store or Apple store so I don’t know the exact details of how this works.

kkay5

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I have both an Android and iPhone and I swap my SIM card out a couple of times a month. I use apps that are cross platform and Google apps. My carrier has never said anything to me about how many times I switch. I do have to get on the carrier’s website to select the correct option for the voicemail to work, but other then that, it’s been pretty easy.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have both an Android and iPhone and I swap my SIM card out a couple of times a month. I use apps that are cross platform and Google apps. My carrier has never said anything to me about how many times I switch. I do have to get on the carrier’s website to select the correct option for the voicemail to work, but other then that, it’s been pretty easy.

Good to hear thanks. Can’t imagine the carrier being too fussed tbh.

So all your apps work? I’m talking WhatsApp and messages mainly.

Regarding WhatsApp what happens to chats? Do you lose some continuity when swapping?

Also on iMessage what happens? If an iPhone tried to send when you’re using android, did it just seems as a normal text. Nothing is delayed etc?

What apps, when you say you use cross platform, specifically do you mean please? I’d be happy to take photos, and just sync/copy when home on Mac or iPad say.

I’m trying to think of any other circumstances that may cause a problem, or I’d lose some functionality etc.

Thanks

kkay5

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I don’t use What’sApp so I am not sure on that one. As for iMessages, as long as I don’t have any group chats that have been named, the texts on group chats will come through just fine to my Android. If the group chat has been named on iMessage, the texts in the group will only send through iMessage. I do have to turn off iMessage on my iPad and Mac when I am using my Android.

I use apps that store data in the cloud that can be used on both. For example, I use Google photos. That way it doesn’t matter which phone I use to take a picture. All my pictures will upload from both phones. I use Gmail and contacts, Google calendar. I choose apps that will run on both Android and iPhone so all my data is right there.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Aside from the iMessage issue ...when moving from ios to android the messages won't get delivered to your android phone ...unless you deregister the phone number https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

The other issue is that some banks expect a single device to be the source of security keys/authentication codes for transactions... they will need moving between devices. Not all banks require this but 2 of mine do.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

Thanks

Migrating whatsapp chat history: questionable. Right now, official Whatsapp FAQ only supports migrating from iOS to Samsung phone running Android 12 using Samsung smart switch. Although Google claimed any Android 12 phones can do it, I have yet seen any actual instructions nor testimonial how this works.

The easiest is to just use a new number on the Android phone (just use a cheap prepaid number) so you can play with it.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
Most apps have their own data so if you install them on a new (Android) phone they should pick up right where you left off. I don’t use WhatsApp though, so not sure about that one.

If your carrier cares what phone you’re using, give them the middle finger and switch carriers.

The only real issue to pay attention to is that you need to turn off iMessage and FaceTime before putting your SIM in the Android phone.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
If you don't use iMessage extensively (I use WhatsApp for everything), and you don't use an apple watch, you're golden. If you try and recreate an apple watch and iPhone experience with an android setup you're probably going to be left wanting. Personally I use a series 3 apple watch whenever I am on iPhone, but the minute I switch back to Android I don't miss the watch one little bit.
It's all personal preference really.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If you don't use iMessage extensively (I use WhatsApp for everything), and you don't use an apple watch, you're golden. If you try and recreate an apple watch and iPhone experience with an android setup you're probably going to be left wanting. Personally I use a series 3 apple watch whenever I am on iPhone, but the minute I switch back to Android I don't miss the watch one little bit.
I will be curious of any experience in migrating whatsapp chat from iOS to Android (or vice versa).

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Most apps have their own data so if you install them on a new (Android) phone they should pick up right where you left off. I don’t use WhatsApp though, so not sure about that one.
That only works if the app use a platform agnostic servers. If a game uses iCloud to save its data, that won't transfer over.

As for messaging app, cloud based apps like Telegram and FB messenger would be fine. But the likes of whatsapp, Line, and Wechat are a bit more complicated.

Reactions: Harthag

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
That only works if the app use a platform agnostic servers. If a game uses iCloud to save its data, that won't transfer over.

As for messaging app, cloud based apps like Telegram and FB messenger would be fine. But the likes of whatsapp, Line, and Wechat are a bit more complicated.
Excellent point, thanks!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK

I do use an Apple Watch, but happy to just not when got Android.

I use iMessage though, and a mix of WhatsApp and SMS. This is what I’m more worried about.

Would I have to migrate/register WhatsApp every time I swap?

On iMessage would it not just fail and send as SMS if not available? Again not sure on this and time frame of it failing on iMessage and then deciding to send it as a SMS. I have a Mac and iPad but have iMessage switched off, so it’s only enabled on my iPhone

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I do use an Apple Watch, but happy to just not when got Android.

I use iMessage though, and a mix of WhatsApp and SMS. This is what I’m more worried about.

Would I have to migrate/register WhatsApp every time I swap?

On iMessage would it not just fail and send as SMS if not available? Again not sure on this and time frame of it failing on iMessage and then deciding to send it as a SMS. I have a Mac and iPad but have iMessage switched off, so it’s only enabled on my iPhone
Do you care about your chat history on your whatsapp? If not, then you don't have to deal with chat migration. You are just going to have two chat history, one on the iPhone and another one on the Android. Do note that I don't think you can merge them later if you want.

As for iMessage, before moving your SIM to Android, disable it on your iPhone first. If you have some friends on iMessage, I would enable it on your iPad and use it for your iMessage, but turn it off on your iPhone.

What's your end goal? Are you switching for good or just playing around with Android? If you just want to play around with it, don't use your main SIM with the phone. Just get a cheap prepaid for it. It's not worth the hassle later on if you want to go back to the iPhone and have your chat history split on separate devices.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Aside from the iMessage issue ...when moving from ios to android the messages won't get delivered to your android phone ...unless you deregister the phone number https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

The other issue is that some banks expect a single device to be the source of security keys/authentication codes for transactions... they will need moving between devices. Not all banks require this but 2 of mine do.
MYTH! I can pop the SIM from my 6S and put it into something as ancient as an HTC Thunderbolt and have ZERO issues receiving or sending texts. I've never had to 'deregister' anything.

From the very beginning I got all-in on every OEM out there be it iOS first, to Android since 2.1, to BlackBerry OS 5+, to Windows Phone, to even Symbian's prime. So I have apps I've kept stored/backed up on all of them, and can run any phone of any vintage without losing anything. In fact, my iPhone 6S is indistinguishable from my Samsung Galaxy SIII as far as apps, UI themes, and even sound effects go.

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Didn't say "texts" (i.e SMS), mate. Yes they will get delivered to your sim irrespective.

But "messages" as in iMessages that people send you from the Apple messaging app will not go to your android phone as an SMS text unless you deregister.

Both apple and google agree...

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
MYTH! again!

My mother, boss, her daughter, my sister all use iOS. I have no issues receiving them as iMessages on iOS nor having them send or receive properly as SMS when I use Android. I don't know what you're doing wrong...

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Then explain why I've never deregistered anything and yet anyone regardless of whether they have iOS or Android can still send texts just fine? I'm obviously living proof it's not necessary.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Then explain why I've never deregistered anything and yet anyone regardless of whether they have iOS or Android can still send texts just fine? I'm obviously living proof it's not necessary.
Is the iPhone your only Apple device? When not linked with other devices and removing SIM while turned on, it deactivates on its own.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I only have one iPhone yes, a 6S. I can take the SIM out of an Android, put it into that iPhone, enable iMessage (my entire family except myself uses iOS), then take the SIM out, put it into any Android phone, and still receive their texts just fine. I don't have any issues with my number being 'captured' by Apple like I keep reading online. I never have to turn anything off, other than powering off the iPhone and yanking the SIM card.

kaardowiq

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2018
Zürich, Switzerland
Yep, because no device uses your registered number. The last and only device… therefore, it auto deactivates, when turned on. However, most users here have iPad and macs where the nunber still remains as registered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.