Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I have the SMS enabled across devices though. If the SIM is in my iPhone, my Mac, iPad, Watch, and iPod touch all receive the messages if the phone gets them. When I yank the SIM out of the phone, put it back into an Android phone, sure, the Mac, iPod, Watch and so on stop getting messages but again, all my family's texts still come to the Android phone as SMS, not being 'captured' by Apple.

I am not sure what everyone else is doing but I just pop the SIM into another phone and carry on.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Seems can, and can’t…

I’m talking about not a permanent 1 way swap, as in swap day to day for example.

I’ve read about iMessage “hanging” on sometimes as well. I don’t have iMessage enabled on my Mac or iPad though anyway so simplified that way maybe.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I lost my entire Whatsapp history going from an Android Samsung device to the iPhone. It was really quite annoying. We backed up the pictures separately -- so they were okay. Overall, it was not a pleasant experience. Be careful.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Seems can, and can’t…

I’m talking about not a permanent 1 way swap, as in swap day to day for example.

I’ve read about iMessage “hanging” on sometimes as well. I don’t have iMessage enabled on my Mac or iPad though anyway so simplified that way maybe.
Obviously anyone can.

It’s not rocket science… it’s whether you wanna deal with the whole dynamics between the two, because their both are different. I’m an Android user (was a longtime iPhone user), but my family is primarily iPhone users. I tend to help them with their devices and if I had to go between the two operating systems… I wouldn’t have a problem.

But I prefer not doing the two-phone setup. But I believe anyone who’s familiar with smartphones can easily handle a iPhone and Android simultaneously. Granted, there will be some learning curve if an individual was heavily invested in one particular operating system… but eventually they would figure out the other operating system.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I wish it were easier to swap phones. Just make it so as soon as you login to one phone, that is where you are now. Alternatively it would be awesome if you could run 2 phones on the same phone number simultaneously.

T-Mobile had/has? a service called digits that allows you to take calls on a different number.

I used to keep a small iphone SE activated, and charged up for when I went to the gym.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I wish it were easier to swap phones. Just make it so as soon as you login to one phone, that is where you are now. Alternatively it would be awesome if you could run 2 phones on the same phone number simultaneously.

T-Mobile had/has? a service called digits that allows you to take calls on a different number.

I used to keep a small iphone SE activated, and charged up for when I went to the gym.
Why not just use a cheap prepaid SIM on the second phone? And I believe those in the US can do Google Voice as your phone number, and it can ring both phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.