Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
Hi there.
Suddenly I can't mount my newly bought WD Passport disk.
I get this message, see image.
Is there really nothing to do but erase the disk?

Thanks for any clues and help...

Screenshot 2023-08-24 at 9.48.52 AM.png

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
If the disk is new, it may have come formatted as NTFS for Windows. You would need to reformat the disk as HFS+ for Mac before using it as TM backup disk. I’m surprised TM didn’t prompt you to reformat the disk first.

Reactions: Gutti

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
If the disk is new, it may have come formatted as NTFS for Windows. You would need to reformat the disk as HFS+ for Mac before using it as TM backup disk. I’m surprised TM didn’t prompt you to reformat the disk first.
I did format it to MacOS Extended. I think this it the name of the format..?
Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 5.46.52 PM.png

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
The error message today says that I can open and copy files from the disk.
Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 5.39.51 PM.png

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
I think TM did promt me to reformat before first use. At least I did format it to Mac OS Extended...

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Thank you. I have tried that.
If that didn't work and you've also tried turning off TM and repairing the disk with Disk Utility then I'm thinking you'll probably have to erase and reformat the drive and start over.

That problem is the kind of thing that can happen when an external disk gets disconnected as macOS is doing it's normal thing…corrupting something or other.

If the same issue occurs after a reformat and you haven't seen a disconnect you might suspect the drive and its housing/cabling, or any hub you might have between the drive and the Mac, are faulty.

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
If that didn't work and you've also tried turning off TM and repairing the disk with Disk Utility then I'm thinking you'll probably have to erase and reformat the drive and start over.

That problem is the kind of thing that can happen when an external disk gets disconnected as macOS is doing it's normal thing…corrupting something or other.

If the same issue occurs after a reformat and you haven't seen a disconnect you might suspect the drive and its housing/cabling, or any hub you might have between the drive and the Mac, are faulty.
So you say the drive should always be connected to the computer? I usually unmount the drive until the next backup.
Don't want any hackers be able to access it.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
So you say the drive should always be connected to the computer? I usually unmount the drive until the next backup.
Don't want any hackers be able to access it.
No…that's perfectly fine as long as you remember to let the unmount/eject process complete before disconnecting it lest corruption possibly occur.

However, if you go through a reformat and start over you might leave it connected as much as you can to make it easier to see if there's a recurring issue.

Reactions: Gutti

Gutti

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2014
Faroes
No…that's perfectly fine as long as you remember to let the unmount/eject process complete before disconnecting it lest corruption possibly occur.

However, if you go through a reformat and start over you might leave it connected as much as you can to make it easier to see if there's a recurring issue.
Good. I have now reformatted the disk and it is working normally again and taking backups as expected.

Thank you all for taking your time to reply to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.