Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
but I still think there is an abundance if overly negative sentiment towards Sony in this section.(but thats just more of my opinion).

Well, I see you joined in Jan 2007...

Just so you know, it's not a "everyone hates Sony" club. Actually, Sony was the leader originally. 2004-2006, everyone loved Sony. 2004-2005 everyone assumed PS3 would be winner. I was in the PS3/Revolution club, telling everyone I planned to buy both, as the PS3 looked to be more powerful, as Microsoft's system would suck without a next-gen disc format simply because it was needed for the HD games, etc, etc, and I preferred Sony's exclusives (Kingdom Hearts FTW!).

Through 2006 a lot of XBox 360 fans arose, but a lot were also disappointed in the fact that the best game was Geometry Wars.

But most of us (me included) were pro-PS3 and anti-Microsoft right up until the day of E3 2006. When Sony announced the price point of the PS3, showed off live demos far short of E3 2005 (proving those demos were never real), and took back half of their promises from the previous year (WiFi in all models, dual HDMI in all models, etc).

This board used to be Pro-Sony, Pro-Nintendo, anti-Microsoft. It switched around late 2006.

We had huge debates in 2005, and all the XBox 360 fans hated me.
I wasn't exactly wrong, I was just gullible (fell for Sony hype). There was tons of hype about of the XBox 360's processors were stripped down G5's really bad at certain types of work, and how next-gen systems required a lot more disk space. Meanwhile, Sony showed off fake demos to make the 360 look even more inadequate.

Turned out that modern compression made up for space problems (there is yet to be a two-disk 360 game) and the 360's processor isn't all that bad when paired with such a good GPU, and Sony's showings were fake and it was really just about the same as the 360.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
/shrug

Don't know what to say about anything here lately really. :rolleyes:

When I see some of the nonsense posted, I'll reply to it with truth~! :D

Otherwise, things have gotten ludicrous, I've just been lurking other forums (albeit more along the lines of PC hardware stuff...Anandtech, 3DGameMan, XtremeSystems). Not that I'm important around here or think I'm missed, I'm just saying...I go AWOL when I see the doo doo hit the fan. :eek:

Reporting things just ain't my cup of tea. I know it's the recommended course of action, but...meh. :cool:

Surely thats 'The Truth™' ;)

I enjoy reading your posts and I'd miss you. It's nice to have other voices of reason.

A kind word for all....

What I must say however is that although the regulars with a particular allegiance / bias really do fight their corners - they often do so with at least some forethought or a base to their reasoning. There are times when a spanner is just thrown into a the works though for the sake of it and that does get silly.

But when it does seem to get out of hand, remember to use common sense. If your just annoyed by someone's stubbornness - that is not in itself enough to warrant a thread being reported. Simply take yourself out of it an let it calm down by itself. Give yourself a chance to bring back some objectivity to a situation rather than being bullish.

Whilst the mods do a great job of keeping MR up and running on a daily basis - there's no point shoveling a rack of erroneous reports to them that are just utterly time-wasting. It makes their job harder, and can lead to a misreading of a situation.

So come on guys - what makes MR a wonderful place is the 'community' and so I ask you to remember that you are part of that community and to respect it.

Fight your corner, but do so with intelligence, good humor and most importantly respect for others. They may not agree with you - but you should respect their opinion and they should respect yours.

Thanks all. MRU

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If your just annoyed by someone's stubbornness - that is not in itself enough to warrant a thread being reported.

True.

Whilst the mods do a great job of keeping MR up and running on a daily basis - there's no point shoveling a rack of erroneous reports to them that are just utterly time-wasting. It makes their job harder, and can lead to a misreading of a situation.

Not in all cases. I believe that most of us would rather judge each case on their own merits... we work as a team and if there's something that's borderline we'll come to a consensus about it. Let us, as a team, be the judges on what is report-worthy. After all, one single incident here can be just the tip of an iceberg that is invisible to your eyes. ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not in all cases. I believe that most of us would rather judge each case on their own merits... we work as a team and if there's something that's borderline we'll come to a consensus about it. Let us, as a team, be the judges on what is report-worthy. After all, one single incident here can be just the tip of an iceberg that is invisible to your eyes. ;)

What I was refering to BV was a while ago before you became a mod yourself; when the fighting in the games forum was probably at it's worst. There was apparently a deluge of people reporting each others posts and it really was out of hand. Being bombarded not with just 1 post here and there, but maybe a dozen or so from each thread - times that by a dozen threads etc. Nearly all of them were bad reports and it lead to a lot of needless timewasting and nasty business. Q himself mentioned this to me.

I dont think the forums or mods need for that situation to raise it's head again. Hence my plea for the people in this section to show a bit of common sense, and not report someone simply because they fail to see your side of the discussion.

I hope that makes sense :) MRU

And trust me BV I'm sure there's plenty of iceburgs we dont get to see ;)

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
Surely thats 'The Truth™' ;)

I enjoy reading your posts and I'd miss you. It's nice to have other voices of reason.

I'm not gone or leaving or anything...one bad apple (no pun intended) doesn't spoil the bunch, and there are plenty of good apples here with good sensible things to say. :D

But of course everyone at one point or another gets into a heated discussion and FUD can be spread, but for the most part I believe there's a fair and equal bit of respect going on here when it all boils down to it - no matter what system(s) you own or prefer - and that's what counts. ;)

This place could be much worse, guys. Go lurk around on other boards like IGN, Gamefaqs/Gamespot or read some of the asinine comments on Joystiq and you'll all see we've got it pretty good here at MR for a website primarily dedicated to Apple products and not video game systems. :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Hence my plea for the people in this section to show a bit of common sense, and not report someone simply because they fail to see your side of the discussion.
The problem is, it seems that posters involved in heated discussions tend to have a harder time discerning between a statement from someone who disagrees with another's view point and direct personal insults.

Another problem is when during said heated discussions, differences of opinions are relayed with personal insults rather than statements regarding the issues being discussed.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The problem is, it seems that posters involved in heated discussions tend to have a harder time discerning between a statement from someone who disagrees with another's view point and direct personal insults.

Another problem is when during said heated discussions, differences of opinions are relayed with personal insults rather than statements regarding the issues being discussed.

Very true hence my earlier plea

Fight your corner, but do so with intelligence, good humor and most importantly respect for others. They may not agree with you - but you should respect their opinion and they should respect yours.

But I know that being the voice of reason around here is often inefective and not everyone shares that outlook, but I can least ask the peeps to try :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
...Nearly all of them were bad reports and it lead to a lot of needless timewasting and nasty business. Q himself mentioned this to me.

I know. ;)

Posts that violate any of the forum rules should be reported to the forum moderators by clicking the Report Post icon () on the bottom left of the offending post. If you are unsure whether a post should be reported, report it anyway and a moderator can decide whether any action needs to be taken.

All I want is for people to look at the forum rules from time to time, report stuff that you believe contravenes those rules and let us sort it out.

What I don't want is for people to hold themselves back from reporting posts for fear of bothering us or being a nuisance. If it gets to that point, we will tell you.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I like cheery pie with milk but thats besides the point...matter of fact I could go for some pie:)

The point is.....damn it I forgot, just have a good time and relax a little.

This place would be dull if it wasn't for the bashing and the likes but if we could tone it down a notch would be nice ummmmmk.

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What I don't want is for people to hold themselves back from reporting posts for fear of bothering us or being a nuisance. If it gets to that point, we will tell you.

Fair do's. :)

Your right it's a balancing act and I have faith in MR that things will be right in the end, besides when things look frosty here I just retreat to 'the den™' ;)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004

Sometimes true; I remember it breaking down into personal insults once or twice, but I usually don't take things seriously. I've only felt I had to report someone once when he made a very graphic insult towards me, and I don't even remember who it was (I don't hold grudges).

The community pulls together though. I don't think a lot of people have hatred of others here. I don't have anyone on my ignore list and wouldn't want to lose any members here.

We actually have it REALLY good here. You should see how ridiculously worked up some people can get on other boards, taking any difference in opinion as a personal insult and resorting to flaming and cussing. That's why I prefer the discussions here on MR.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
btw - I thought you already had a PS3 in your house Jimmi?

I bought one of my cousins Japan imports for a pleasantly low price, hoping it to have VGA output (sorta figured that was standard on HD systems). But it didn't so it's now down at my cousins place since he has one of them home cinema efforts.

360 on VGA to my Dell monitor, Wii in the front room on the 36" SDTV.

And the beauty of handhelds is none of that b*****ks matters since it's all self contained :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.