Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Hi. What car brands are more engaging with CarPlay adopting the new features? For example, regarding Apple Maps showing in second screen (driver display), has other brand (apart from BMW with new OS 8) implemented it?

And looking to later this year according to apple last WWDC announcement, what car brands do you thing are going to have available CarPlay new feature that replaces whole car OS system showing clusters and clima controls?

savagewatts

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver, BC
Good question. I don’t know the answer but would like to know as well. I’ll be purchasing a new vehicle and this is an important part of the decision. I drove a 2023 Toyota that still didn’t have wireless Carplay

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
The problem for me with BMW is that Carplay is limited to wireless use, so you can’t choose to use wired if you want for improved stability.

Reactions: macsound1

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Not sure about the new Carplay that is coming or brands your prefer, but I know Hyundai has wireless Carplay in pretty much all new cars and at least wired Carplay in the older models.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I suspect wired carplay is going to go away as new models come out. There is also the rumor that iPhones will be plugless in the next several generations - only wireless for everthing

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The problem for me with BMW is that Carplay is limited to wireless use, so you can’t choose to use wired if you want for improved stability.
FWIW, we have two BMWs and the wireless CarPlay in them is much more stable then my previous wired CarPlay in the Ram 1500. Often I had to disconnect and reconnect on that. Never once had a problem with the BMW wireless CarPlay. No lag, no glitches, no bugs whatsoever.

Only thing I don’t like about wireless CarPlay is you can’t use your home Wi-Fi while on it. For example, I like setting up my navigation destination in my garage while I’m warming up the car. I live in an area with poor cell service so either it takes a while for my destination to load up or I have to wait till I depart the area.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi. What car brands are more engaging with CarPlay adopting the new features? For example, regarding Apple Maps showing in second screen (driver display), has other brand (apart from BMW with new OS 8) implemented it?

And looking to later this year according to apple last WWDC announcement, what car brands do you thing are going to have available CarPlay new feature that replaces whole car OS system showing clusters and clima controls?
Here’s an article showing the manufacturers that will pilot the next gen CarPlay. I believe the list was also flashed on screen during the KeyNote. Very surprised BMW is not on there though. They’ve been working hand in hand with Apple for a while.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
FWIW, we have two BMWs and the wireless CarPlay in them is much more stable then my previous wired CarPlay in the Ram 1500. Often I had to disconnect and reconnect on that. Never once had a problem with the BMW wireless CarPlay. No lag, no glitches, no bugs whatsoever.

Only thing I don’t like about wireless CarPlay is you can’t use your home Wi-Fi while on it. For example, I like setting up my navigation destination in my garage while I’m warming up the car. I live in an area with poor cell service so either it takes a while for my destination to load up or I have to wait till I depart the area.
Hi. Great feedback. What OS version do they have? 7.0 with separate screens or 8.0 with full continuous screen?

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Hi. Great feedback. What OS version do they have? 7.0 with separate screens or 8.0 with full continuous screen?
My wife has a 2022 X5 40i with iDrive 7 and mine is a 2023 M340ix with the new continuous full screen and iDrive 8. Both very reliable.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I suspect wired carplay is going to go away as new models come out. There is also the rumor that iPhones will be plugless in the next several generations - only wireless for everthing

That will not happen for the foreseeable future... Apple will not do something that would kill CarPlay... I am sure there are plenty of people who will want new iPhones, but will not be upgrading their cars nearly as often...

almostinsane

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
There's already devices that convert wired to wireless CP. Apply will just release an adapter if they go the full wireless route.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
There's already devices that convert wired to wireless CP. Apply will just release an adapter if they go the full wireless route.

Maybe Apple can/will make such a device. If they do, hopefully it won’t suck like the current devices on the market. They’re way too finicky at this point to be ‘mainstream’.

jimkingwood

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
i don’t know, I have a 2023 BMW and it started out with wired CarPlay before I configured wireless. I have never experienced instability related to Wi-Fi.

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
I thought all carplay features were loaded from the phone and independent from the manufacturer of the car/stereo….no?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I thought all carplay features were loaded from the phone and independent from the manufacturer of the car/stereo….no?

Up until now, yes, that's true. When Apple announced the CarPlay changes with iOS 16, it expanded the reach of CarPlay. The content that has historically been available on CarPlay screens will still come from iPhone, but the additional content like car gauges, etc... data will come from the car (engine temperature, engine speed, car speed, tire pressure, etc), bit will be styled with the CarPlay interface, and, within limits, what information is displayed on which "secondary" screens will be controlled/configured through CarPlay. It is THOSE changes that will require a more complete interface from the car manufacturers - both to supply the data from the car and to allow CarPlay to generate the display of that data on other car screens.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Car manufacturers either need to turn their companies around and start making great software, or they need to give up as much control of the car to Apple and Google as is feasible. They've been bumbling software for too long (with the exception of Tesla). Especially with EVs, it's no longer a mere irritation, it's an actual problem.

My main concern about this new CarPlay though, is how well it's going to work with so many different makes and models. Apple won't have complete control of both hardware and software anymore. And the level of control CarPlay can have over the car must depend on how deeply it knows the hardware. So I wonder how much control will CarPlay have, especially for EVs? Will it control charging speed and battery temperatures, for example?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifeisabeach

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I went from a 2017 VW Tiguan to a 2023 VW Taos recently. The 2017 had wired Carplay which I only tried a few times and was not impressed, mostly due to the small screen and need to plug in. The 2023 version is much better with a wireless connection and wireless charging. Have used it with Apple Maps, Google Maps and trial versions of TomTom, OnX and others, performance is very good.

But you are limited to the center "infotainment" screen, CarPlay cannot be shown on the "digital cockpit" screen. Volkswagen offers a fancier interface on the more expensive models that allows you to use the built-in navigation maps on a bigger digital cockpit screen however.

Although CarPlay works very well on my 2023 VW, I'm not very impressed with Volkswagen's digital transition. My 2017 car was still mostly analog, with only a small infortainment screen that had physical pushbuttons. The 2023 VW infotainment unit doesn't have any physical buttons. The other day, the whole thing froze and would not respond to any screen or button presses. Turning it on and off didn't help, and switching the car off and restarting didn't help either. Turning off the car, then waiting a few minutes before restarting finally cleared it. But this is pretty unacceptable, considering how many functions no longer have physical buttons.

The front page article about the new Carplay does not list Volkswagen as a participant. Too bad, because the photos I've seen look much better than what VW is currently offering.

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Artakamoose

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2016
Bay Area
Good question. I don’t know the answer but would like to know as well. I’ll be purchasing a new vehicle and this is an important part of the decision. I drove a 2023 Toyota that still didn’t have wireless Carplay

Toyota is terrible about updating their cars and related systems. One of the biggest reasons they sided with Trump's attempt to repeal California's ability to set higher emissions standards was because they basically don't want to update their cars anymore. Case in point: they used to update the 4Runner line every 5-6 years. The 5th Gen 4Runners have been around for 12 years and counting, and the mpg in those things is a joke nowadays. I'm totally done with that company.

Bodj

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2023
Car manufacturers either need to turn their companies around and start making great software, or they need to give up as much control of the car to Apple and Google as is feasible. They've been bumbling software for too long (with the exception of Tesla). Especially with EVs, it's no longer a mere irritation, it's an actual problem.

My main concern about this new CarPlay though, is how well it's going to work with so many different makes and models. Apple won't have complete control of both hardware and software anymore. And the level of control CarPlay can have over the car must depend on how deeply it knows the hardware. So I wonder how much control will CarPlay have, especially for EVs? Will it control charging speed and battery temperatures, for example?
Auto manufactures don’t develop their own software; that’s done by companies such as Harman Kardon.

It’s VERY safe to say that Apple wouldn’t have hardware control. It’s just a user interface overtop of the vehicles software that’s able to relay the command. Ie: CarPlay tells vehicle software to execute command. I get where your head is at to want an all encompassing Apple ecosystem, but there’s far too many vehicles / options for them to create specific software builds for.

Bodj

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2023
Chevy was the first manufacture to really embrace CarPlay across its vehicle lineup in 2015. Surprising GM isn’t going to be one of the first manufactures to launch the expanded display tech, but then again probably has to do with model refresh cycle not lining up.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Auto manufactures don’t develop their own software; that’s done by companies such as Harman Kardon.

It’s VERY safe to say that Apple wouldn’t have hardware control. It’s just a user interface overtop of the vehicles software that’s able to relay the command. Ie: CarPlay tells vehicle software to execute command. I get where your head is at to want an all encompassing Apple ecosystem, but there’s far too many vehicles / options for them to create specific software builds for.
I don’t think that’s true across the board regarding car companies not making software. Maybe it’s more true for ICE cars, but I’m certain EV software is made by the car manufacturer.

That makes sense that Apple/Android wouldn’t have direct control of hardware (other than maybe speakers) and the car software would be the gatekeeper. So I wonder how much the car software will let the phone control, and how all that will work.
By the way, it’s not actually about keeping things in Apple’s ecosystem for me (other than what we already have with CarPlay). This is purely about the consistently poor software UX in so many cars, especially now that they’re putting more controls in the screen instead of mechanical buttons/dials, and especially EVs with their batteries and entire drivetrain controlled by software. If companies turned it around and consistently made a good UX, I’d be a happy camper. But since they don’t seem to be capable of that, I say let someone else (Apple and Google) step in and give it a whirl (with limitations to the level of control of course).

Bodj

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2023
I don’t think that’s true across the board regarding car companies not making software. Maybe it’s more true for ICE cars, but I’m certain EV software is made by the car manufacturer.

That makes sense that Apple/Android wouldn’t have direct control of hardware (other than maybe speakers) and the car software would be the gatekeeper. So I wonder how much the car software will let the phone control, and how all that will work.
By the way, it’s not actually about keeping things in Apple’s ecosystem for me (other than what we already have with CarPlay). This is purely about the consistently poor software UX in so many cars, especially now that they’re putting more controls in the screen instead of mechanical buttons/dials, and especially EVs with their batteries and entire drivetrain controlled by software. If companies turned it around and consistently made a good UX, I’d be a happy camper. But since they don’t seem to be capable of that, I say let someone else (Apple and Google) step in and give it a whirl (with limitations to the level of control of course).

Can’t speak for all of them, but Detroit definitely did. When I was with GM I managed go to market for in vehicle technology - primarily infotainment and telematics. Internal product owners worked worked with 3rd parties to bring concepts to life. Sure there’s engineers working on troubleshooting, debugging and programming but UI/UX framework like infotainment software or peripheral integration systems such as blackberry QNX was all 3rd party.

As far as Ev / BEVii goes:
Chevy leveraged a partnership with IBM and has them help create the Volt EV software and LG was used for Bolt. I believe googles actually helping out (or already has) with newer infotainment, but I’m unsure on specifics as I’ve been out of the industry for a few years.

For the most part automotive just can’t compete against Silicon Valley when it comes to recruiting talented developers / software engineers due to salary and prestige..and even if they do get higher skilled workers keep in mind that bringing a new vehicle to market takes 100x more contributors from multiple teams/companies working together on top of the 3 more years than it would to launch a new computer or phone.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
I have one question that maybe has been already answered. Is new carplay implementation expected later this year a more complex version of current carplay (with iphone playing it as an app integrated in car software) or is ogint to be something like android automotive that is the proper software of the car(for example, Volvocars)? Are brands going to be differentiated between android interiors/apple interiors or own OS interior?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have one question that maybe has been already answered. Is new carplay implementation expected later this year a more complex version of current carplay (with iphone playing it as an app integrated in car software) or is ogint to be something like android automotive that is the proper software of the car(for example, Volvocars)? Are brands going to be differentiated between android interiors/apple interiors or own OS interior?
I haven't seen any equivalent announcement cement from Android Auto, so who knows. (Also, I don't follow that market at all).

While no one outside of the parties working on the changes knows the details, it will most likely NOT be car manufacturer dependent... I suspect that Apple will work with multiple manufacturers to define a standard that all will use to implement these changes... and I see ZERO possibility of retro-fitting any vehicle currently on the road today - it will necessarily be an entirely new standard for cars manufactured to offer this option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.