Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
I don't see bmw on the list as one of the first adopters to the next gen CarPlay? I wonder why...
Bmw is taking some bad decisions in last months… For example series 7 and XM exterior designs and X1/series 2 active tourer interiors. how is possible that they introduce drivers widescreen with so huge bezels?? They seems to be from ‘90…

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Bmw is taking some bad decisions in last months… For example series 7 and XM exterior designs and X1/series 2 active tourer interiors. how is possible that they introduce drivers widescreen with so huge bezels?? They seems to be from ‘90…
And a notch worse than any cell phone display I’ve ever seen 🤣

Reactions: joscejrod

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Finally we have some information about BMW brand… It’s really curious that BMW was the first adopting some new Apple features in their cars like Apple key but now, they are going towards Android in last software announcements. BMW OS 9 to be introduced in November in X1/X2 and series 2 Active Tourer this year is going to be based in Android Automotive, joining Volvo/Polestar/Renault brands that already have similar software with play store apps…

What do you think about it?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
But they still will be supporting CarPlay - the Android OS is basis for a lot of devices and softwre.
Absolutely. Besides, they’d be committing suicide if they stopped supporting CarPlay. I rarely use the BMW iDrive system. Only for settings.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Absolutely. Besides, they’d be committing suicide if they stopped supporting CarPlay. I rarely use the BMW iDrive system. Only for settings.
Well, this is not clear for me. Here you have the first example of one big automaker phasing out Carplay support after implementing Android based OS. It could be the case of BMW and for that is not included on list of brands supporting new gen carplay.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Well, this is not clear for me. Here you have the first example of one big automaker phasing out Carplay support after implementing Android based OS. It could be the case of BMW and for that is not included on list of brands supporting new gen carplay.

Have you seen the outrage online amongst GM owners? They’re absolutely furious with threats to leave the brand.

I don’t think BMW is going to abandon Apple. The next gen CarPlay is a huge change unlike what we have currently. BMW is also one of like two manufacturers that support CarKey. If they do stop supporting CarPlay, I’m gone. Yeah it is surprising to not see BMW on that list. They’ve always been a forerunner in Apple’s implementations. They just might be late to the party. Maybe they want to step back and see how it goes.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Auto manufactures don’t develop their own software; that’s done by companies such as Harman Kardon.

It’s VERY safe to say that Apple wouldn’t have hardware control. It’s just a user interface overtop of the vehicles software that’s able to relay the command. Ie: CarPlay tells vehicle software to execute command. I get where your head is at to want an all encompassing Apple ecosystem, but there’s far too many vehicles / options for them to create specific software builds for.

You're overlooking the possibility that Apple could make a "CarPlay module" for cars and sell it to manufacturers. The car would just communicate with it through a standard API.

This way, Apple doesn't need to know anything else specific about the car. It's phone software just communicates with its chip in the car. The manufacturer could expose only the info it wants, by virtue of its interface with the API.

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
.The GM abandonment of CarPlay is really a step backwards Before we had smart phones and CarPlay cars had to provide the same functions - each car was different. You had to have the ability to update maps - copy your music from phone/computer to car etc.
Not sure why they'd do that but time will tell what happens. A step back in technology so they can sell your data to Goggle

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
.The GM abandonment of CarPlay is really a step backwards Before we had smart phones and CarPlay cars had to provide the same functions - each car was different. You had to have the ability to update maps - copy your music from phone/computer to car etc.
Not sure why they'd do that but time will tell what happens. A step back in technology so they can sell your data to Goggle

Not to mention the money grab on stuff like map updates... I read that GM wants to push subscription revenue... I had a Nissan back in the late 90s and they wanted $199 to upgrade the map software... fortunately, with CarPlay, I have at least THREE map options available to my Ford Ranger (Waze, Google Maps and Apple Maps) in addition to Ford's SYNC3 navigation.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Hi! Do you expect to have news about new carplay next week in WWDC or will it be focused in AR headset? I’m worried about new carplay being delayed like other things with apple in the past. Think about second display support in current carplay gen…only BMW supports it in latest OS 8 (several years after the announcement in keynote) and curiously is one of the brands that are not on board of new gen carplay…

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Now we know BMW is going to adopt Android Automotive in BMW OS 9 and Audi has just released Q6 model with Android Automotive too. No news about any brand announcing new carplay integration and we are approaching the end of the year, so I hope we have updates in next keynote or at least before the end of the year…if not, I think majority of brands is out of the game o_O

Kaulini

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2023
Now we know BMW is going to adopt Android Automotive in BMW OS 9 and Audi has just released Q6 model with Android Automotive too. No news about any brand announcing new carplay integration and we are approaching the end of the year, so I hope we have updates in next keynote or at least before the end of the year…if not, I think majority of brands is out of the game o_O
Bmw is going downhill with the decisions. Over and over again its announced that people spend more money on iOS than android. If they simply kept tight integration with all new apple features, and release some paid apps on it, more people would buy them than they ever will for their car on android.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Bmw is going downhill with the decisions. Over and over again its announced that people spend more money on iOS than android. If they simply kept tight integration with all new apple features, and release some paid apps on it, more people would buy them than they ever will for their car on android.
BMW was the first to integrate CarKey and still going strong with that. Both our BMW’s have it. I believe only a couple other car manufacturers offer CarKey (Hyundai and Kia?). I also believe they were one of, if not the first to offer wireless CarPlay. What other Apple features are missing from BMW, other than the next gen CarPlay, which nobody is offering yet?

The next gen CarPlay might be something not so easy to implement. There are quite a few ambitious features Apple announced that haven’t went mainstream but sounded like a great idea- Digital Driver Licenses, HomeKit Enabled Routers, CarKey to name a few.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.