Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lynxdeb

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
So just to understand:

GPS OFF - use car’s GPS
GPS ON - use iPhone’s GP

Is is right?

Thx

BleedingMe

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2011
No, the other way around.

The option is intended to disable the car's GPS passthrough in case of accuracy problems.

lynxdeb

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
No, the other way around.

The option is intended to disable the car's GPS passthrough in case of accuracy problems.
oh ok... so i'll to put it back to on
anyway.. still have random blue screen on GPS app, also opening the Maps, after some times the image freeze.

Only way is re-plug the adapter

BleedingMe

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2011
Did switching off the car GPS in the adapter help? Maybe the adapter has problems with the GPS data from the car...

lynxdeb

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
Did switching off the car GPS in the adapter help? Maybe the adapter has problems with the GPS data from the car...
it happens both with GPS on or off, so don't think it's related to the Car's GPS. Looks like some issue with permission, if I'm opening the app during blue screen, the position is refreshed but as i've said after two minutes it freeze. Only way is to reconnect CarPlay rebooting the adapter

breeza

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
I have the following adapters. All were ordered recently to try and find the best one. All have the latest firmware.
Car is a VW Golf 2019 with OEM head unit.
Phone is an iphone 13 pro with the latest ios update.

Carlinkit 3.0
Very reliable. Haven't had it fail to connect. Passes through GPS from car. Slow to boot and get into carplay.

Carlinkit 5.0
Unreliable initial connection. Fails about 1 in 8 times to connect. Passes through GPS from car. About 5 seconds quicker to get into carplay than the 3.0.
Tried a few things to improve the initial connection but still buggy: Reset device, set HULinkType to carplay.
Will try changing to wifi channel 165 as suggested previously in the thread to see if that helps.

Ottocast U2-Air Pro (Just released)
Wow, this thing is a rocket to get into carplay! Really embarrasses the Carlinkit devices. Appears to be reliable so far.
It would be pretty much perfect however it does not pass through the car GPS.
Is it only the Autokit based dongles have the option to pass through the car GPS?

One thing that did annoy me on all of these was that music would not restart automatically. To fix this I set up an iphone shortcut / automation: 'When carplay connects" -> "set playback destination to carplay" then "play on iphone"

Can I ask what you use to get these wifi details?
1685499195447-png.2209937

Last edited:

samabbott

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2021
Salt Lake City, Utah
The Wi-Fi details I shared were from my Mac running Wi-Fi Explorer.
ref: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wifi-explorer/id494803304?mt=12

On Windows, you can get similar results using here: Acrylic Wi-Fi Analyzer, advanced analysis and troubleshooting (acrylicwifi.com)

You could, on your iPhone try running a ping to the 192.168.50.2 address. That would tell you if the cutout you're observing is due to wireless connection, or something else. I use Network Analyzer Pro on the App Store (apple.com) on my iPhone to troubleshoot. When I was seeing the connectivity issues with wireless on my v3 and v5, I could see the ping timeout/drop at the exact same time. Switching the channels seems to have helped quite a bit for me. YMMV depending on area and other interference.

If ping doesn't drop, and you're seeing it freeze... It's likely something software related, or hardware between your HU and the device. It's unlikely that the Wi-Fi channel change would fix it if ping/connectivity shows stable. Though, never hurts to test. :)

Last edited:

breeza

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
The Wi-Fi details I shared were from my Mac running Wi-Fi Explorer.
ref: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wifi-explorer/id494803304?mt=12

On Windows, you can get similar results using here: Acrylic Wi-Fi Analyzer, advanced analysis and troubleshooting (acrylicwifi.com)

You could, on your iPhone try running a ping to the 192.168.50.2 address. That would tell you if the cutout you're observing is due to wireless connection, or something else. I use Network Analyzer Pro on the App Store (apple.com) on my iPhone to troubleshoot. When I was seeing the connectivity issues with wireless on my v3 and v5, I could see the ping timeout/drop at the exact same time. Switching the channels seems to have helped quite a bit for me. YMMV depending on area and other interference.

If ping doesn't drop, and you're seeing it freeze... It's likely something software related, or hardware between your HU and the device.
Appreciate the tips, Sam. Will give those a go.

Reactions: samabbott

SystemDevil

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2023
Hey guys!
Does anyone use Carlinkit Mini? I tried to update the firmware and the device stopped responding. It doesnt even turn on the LEDs! Since I'm an electrical engineer, I opened the device and found an USB interface. Then, I soldered an USB A female connector and I tried to upload a rollback firmware. I didn't work tho.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!
View attachment 1902480
Hi guys,

Same happen to me yesterday, did not know that ordinary update will brick your device - Hardware Error: Wi-Fi BT. Device: CPC200-MINI (U2W Mini).

Does anyone somehow managed to rollback the firmware or update to the latest ?

Official support replied: "...There's no way to update the firmware on this one. ...". Bought it on AliExpress 2 years ago, no way to reach the seller for customer service.

Maybe there is the way to somehow to connect to this device via "SSH" and pass the firmware file and manually trigger update... or... solder USB port (with interface) ?

Last edited:

c47v3770

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2016
Carlinkit 3.0 with the 2023.05.13.1107 FW has been working decently well in my 2017 Mazda 3.
Probaly the fastest CarPlay boot/startup since I bought the adapter. However, sometimes the audio "cracks" during a song while browsing the carplay interface or when I open apps. I wonder if there's a setting I could change to help with this.

Haven't considered upgrading to the 5.0 adapter but maybe it's worth it. Not sure what improvements it would bring in my case.

Last edited:

breeza

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
I sent Carlinkit some logs of the connection issue I was having with the 5.0. A few days went by and they released a new firmware. So far, after the update I haven't yet had any failed connections. Impressed with their support.

The Ottocast U2-Air Pro is certainly fast but I am sticking with the Carlinkit due to the GPS passthrough.
I will be putting the Ottocast up on eBay soon if anyone in the UK wants one and doesn't want to wait for it to ship from China.

Kurt871

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2004
I sent Carlinkit some logs of the connection issue I was having with the 5.0. A few days went by and they released a new firmware. So far, after the update I haven't yet had any failed connections. Impressed with their support.

The Ottocast U2-Air Pro is certainly fast but I am sticking with the Carlinkit due to the GPS passthrough.
I will be putting the Ottocast up on eBay soon if anyone in the UK wants one and doesn't want to wait for it to ship from China.
Publicly released firmware, or they sent something to you? Can you share the version? Got a 5.0 and it's still on whatever April firmware it shipped with (says no update available when checking.)

breeza

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
Publicly released firmware, or they sent something to you? Can you share the version? Got a 5.0 and it's still on whatever April firmware it shipped with (says no update available when checking.)
It was an over-the-air update but maybe they can target specific device IDs.

Attachments

• IMG_0818.PNG
    IMG_0818.PNG
    376.7 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Reactions: Kurt871

c47v3770

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2016
I have the following adapters. All were ordered recently to try and find the best one. All have the latest firmware.
Car is a VW Golf 2019 with OEM head unit.
Phone is an iphone 13 pro with the latest ios update.

Carlinkit 3.0
Very reliable. Haven't had it fail to connect. Passes through GPS from car. Slow to boot and get into carplay.

Carlinkit 5.0
Unreliable initial connection. Fails about 1 in 8 times to connect. Passes through GPS from car. About 5 seconds quicker to get into carplay than the 3.0.
Tried a few things to improve the initial connection but still buggy: Reset device, set HULinkType to carplay.
Will try changing to wifi channel 165 as suggested previously in the thread to see if that helps.

Ottocast U2-Air Pro (Just released)
Wow, this thing is a rocket to get into carplay! Really embarrasses the Carlinkit devices. Appears to be reliable so far.
It would be pretty much perfect however it does not pass through the car GPS.
Is it only the Autokit based dongles have the option to pass through the car GPS?

One thing that did annoy me on all of these was that music would not restart automatically. To fix this I set up an iphone shortcut / automation: 'When carplay connects" -> "set playback destination to carplay" then "play on iphone"

Did you test phone calls as well? If so, which one did you like best? I still have the carlinkit 3.0 and I believe the 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 all have Bluetooth 4.1 which is pretty dated.

samabbott

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2021
Salt Lake City, Utah
Did you test phone calls as well? If so, which one did you like best? I still have the carlinkit 3.0 and I believe the 3.0, 4.0 and 5.0 all have Bluetooth 4.1 which is pretty dated.
I could be mistaken... But I believe the Bluetooth is only used to be like "Hey, iPhone... Connect to CarPlay via Wi-Fi now that you're close enough, or reconnect if you disconnected." I don't think any data or communication is sent over the Bluetooth Connection once CarPlay is connected. I am under the impression that it's all handled over Wi-Fi directly. So, the Bluetooth version doesn't matter as much. Basically, the Bluetooth connection is only there to send the iPhone information on how to connect to CarPlay over WiFi, and to nudge the iPhone to connect to CarPlay if it isn't already.

Found the documentation backing up my logic and claim (attached PDF if URL changes):

Reference the page:
1686971063501.png

Attachments

• 722_developing_carplay_systems_part_1.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:

breeza

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
I have taken a few calls on the 5.0 and haven't noticed any issues. I am sure there will be some inherent delay though due to the wireless connection. Like Sam says the bluetooth version shouldn't be an issue because it's only used on initial connection to carplay.

c47v3770

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2016
I could be mistaken... But I believe the Bluetooth is only used to be like "Hey, iPhone... Connect to CarPlay via Wi-Fi now that you're close enough, or reconnect if you disconnected." I don't think any data or communication is sent over the Bluetooth Connection once CarPlay is connected. I am under the impression that it's all handled over Wi-Fi directly. So, the Bluetooth version doesn't matter as much. Basically, the Bluetooth connection is only there to send the iPhone information on how to connect to CarPlay over WiFi, and to nudge the iPhone to connect to CarPlay if it isn't already.

Found the documentation backing up my logic and claim (attached PDF if URL changes):

Reference the page:
View attachment 2219195

I have taken a few calls on the 5.0 and haven't noticed any issues. I am sure there will be some inherent delay though due to the wireless connection. Like Sam says the bluetooth version shouldn't be an issue because it's only used on initial connection to carplay.

So are calls done over Wi-Fi then? In my 2017 Mazda 3, for example, regular calls are not as loud as WhatsApp calls and I’ve always wondered what the cause could be. Maybe it’s an infotainment issue?

I’m also wondering if the carlinkit adapter handles everything (calls, music, etc) or is it just a bridge for wireless CarPlay? Not sure if that’s the right term..

breeza

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
So are calls done over Wi-Fi then? In my 2017 Mazda 3, for example, regular calls are not as loud as WhatsApp calls and I’ve always wondered what the cause could be. Maybe it’s an infotainment issue?

I’m also wondering if the carlinkit adapter handles everything (calls, music, etc) or is it just a bridge for wireless CarPlay? Not sure if that’s the right term..
Once the initial carplay connection is established then everything else is over wifi. Like you say the Carlinkit adapter will just be a data bridge with the phone and head unit doing the work.

c47v3770

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2016
Once the initial carplay connection is established then everything else is over wifi. Like you say the Carlinkit adapter will just be a data bridge with the phone and head unit doing the work.
Ahh I see. So the issue of regular calls having low volume is probably in the infotainment itself. However, it’s odd that WhatsApp calls are definitely louder.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Can confirm on my Mercedes-AMG GLA35 using Carlinkit 2.0, that 2023.05 performs much better and is more stable compared to 2022.12, which used to encounter constant dropouts and disconnecting from the car.
The 2023.05 update also seems to have fixed some of the glitches in my Mazda CX-5 with my Carlinkit 2.0. I haven't spent a ton of time with it, but it's buttery smooth.

Arvydas

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2023
Good day for all,
I am newbie in this forum, but not in the electronics... Anyway, can not sort a problem I have with my adapter cpc200-cp2a. Have received in some scrap yard, with no comments. Seems brand new, anyway it behaves different from my own cpc200-u2w-plus. My own device after powering up is lighting red led, with short blink of green after short time, and then it is reachable by wifi or bluetooth, and it works with iphone on the car without problems. This new one is turning red led after powering up, and then does nothing. If it is connected to the car first time I am facing only red button with 3 dots, and nothing else, no any connection is possible. If I make from the cars menu - disconect - then it is recycling power and after that it is shown on the screen and connections are awailable, but can not connect to android auto. If I connect usb cable to the A USB port off carlinkit, and other side to my android phone wired connection picture is shown on the head unit, and android auto starts, but only wired, but if cable is disconnected android auto stops working... I am confused with all that, maybe it is not possible at all to have Android auto wireless... With programmer I am familiar, even have few of them, have reloaded V4 firmware, from Ludwig repository (big respect to him) but nothing changes... Thank's for reading and any help, or suggestions will be. Besides cpc200-cp2a is V4 and cpc200-u2w-plus is V3 I suppose? It's a little bit confusing for me now... :)

vccowan

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2021
I
Carlinkit 3.0 with the 2023.05.13.1107 FW has been working decently well in my 2017 Mazda 3.
Probaly the fastest CarPlay boot/startup since I bought the adapter. However, sometimes the audio cracks…..
I’m loving 2023.05 for my V3 with Mazda, I set audio delay to 1000 and don’t think I notice any audio issues.

Does anyone know if there’s been a new one relased for the V4 yet? I’m running 2022.07 on my V4 because the newest ones I tried 4 weeks ago are really inconsistent for connection. It’s a hassle to update through 4 versions ota just to see if a new one has been released. I would love to get the speed that 2023.05 brought to the V3.

c47v3770

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2016
I

I’m loving 2023.05 for my V3 with Mazda, I set audio delay to 1000 and don’t think I notice any audio issues.

Does anyone know if there’s been a new one relased for the V4 yet? I’m running 2022.07 on my V4 because the newest ones I tried 4 weeks ago are really inconsistent for connection. It’s a hassle to update through 4 versions ota just to see if a new one has been released. I would love to get the speed that 2023.05 brought to the V3.
Yeah this is the best the 3.0 adapter has ran since I bought it. I just wish regular calls were louder. WhatsApp calls are louder compared to regular ones for some reason..

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Yeah this is the best the 3.0 adapter has ran since I bought it. I just wish regular calls were louder. WhatsApp calls are louder compared to regular ones for some reason..
I have found the phone volume separate from other volumes - have you tried adjusting the volume with the buttons while call is on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.