Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breeza

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2023
Hi everyone. I hope you can help me solve my problem.
I purchased a Carlinkit 5 A2A adapter to avoid having to connect the phone to the USB port all the time and use Android Auto. Even though I followed the instructions (all in all simple) and paired the Android smartphone with the Carlinkit, nothing appears on the aftermarket head unit and Android Auto doesn't start. Some of you have had the same problems. Before returning it to the supplier I would like to do all possible tests.
Of course, with the wired connection, Android Auto works perfectly
If you just have an Android phone I would recommend these:

Reactions: crina64

gomichaelgo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
That is a very subjective topic. None of the CarLinkIt devices worked for me beyond the first couple of days... they would get really hot and just refuse to work (v3 and v4).

I got a generic one (mine is branded "YEHUA"), and it seems to work great... and cheaper than the CarLinkIt devices... of course, some love the CarLinkIt devices and report no issues. YMMV.

Wireless CarPlay Adapter for iPhone, YEHUA 5.8GHz Wireless CarPlay Dongle for Factory Wired CarPlay Cars
I got a CarLink device back in March for my car and so far it's been great. Takes about 10-15 seconds when I get in the car to connect.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I got a CarLink device back in March for my car and so far it's been great. Takes about 10-15 seconds when I get in the car to connect.

That was the YMMV part of my post. :D

crina64

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2023
Today I received the AAWireless dongle and....magic...everything worked perfectly!!!
Great device, worked almost immediately. I am happy :)

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I have returned all three versions of the CarLinkIt (v3, 4 and 5). All were slow to connect and eventually (10-14 days) stopped working altogether. Life's too short to fart around with tech that doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Last edited:
Reactions: Kurt871

Kurt871

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2004
Carlinkit 5.0 firmware updated; version indicates a 14 Oct. release date. A few new settings if anyone is curious:

Attachments

• IMG_4846.JPG
    IMG_4846.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 114

krimedog

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Are there any wireless carplay adapters out there that have low/no latency when making phone calls?

The one I just bought (Schmidt Spiele - 5.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter for All Factory Wired CarPlay Cars Wireless CarPlay Dongle Convert Wired to Wireless CarPlay QT04) had fast startup but my phone calls are not natural because of the delay.

Thanks!

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Are there any wireless carplay adapters out there that have low/no latency when making phone calls?

The one I just bought (Schmidt Spiele - 5.0 Wireless CarPlay Adapter for All Factory Wired CarPlay Cars Wireless CarPlay Dongle Convert Wired to Wireless CarPlay QT04) had fast startup but my phone calls are not natural because of the delay.

Thanks!
I have this and no issues with the calls, and I make calls almost everyday.

Kurt871

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2004
Was impressed by the reviews and surprised I hadn't heard of this adapter before. Then I double checked the reviews...

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 7.41.14 PM.png

krimedog

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Thanks for that link. That’s the one I got and love it. Someone on here said they got it and they liked it, so I gave it a shot. No issues yet.
Did you change any of the modes, channels or settings? Any tips for using it for low latency calls?

Steve Ballmer

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
Redmond, WA
How badly does wireless CarPlay impact battery life? I just got an adapter with fairly good ratings on Amazon. Seems to do the conversion via Bluetooth and then a hidden Wi-Fi network. I know from past experience using Bluetooth can kill battery life, although I last used Bluetooth before getting a CarPlay device.

If the battery usage isn't too bad, I guess it's fine. If it's drastic, I might still need to keep a power cable in the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.