Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Hi MacRumors forum goers! I know a bunch of you are big fans of Apple's Editor's Choice award-winning CARROT Weather on iOS, Apple Watch, and the Mac, so I thought you'd be happy to hear that CARROT Weather is now available on the Apple TV.

The Verge named CARROT one of the 10 best apps available for Apple TV - and it looks and feels fantastic on the larger screen. CARROT's got the same hilariously twisted personality as her smaller counterparts, plus eerily accurate weather reports that include short-term, 24 hour, and 7-day forecasts. In fact, it's the only app available for Apple TV that uses the Dark Sky/Forecast.io weather service - so you can get rain prediction right down to the minute.

There's lots of other cool stuff in here as well, including over 35 secret locations that you can unlock as you use CARROT.

And I've been active on these boards, taking feedback from users and incorporating it into the various apps - so feel free to let me know if you have any questions or feature requests!

CarrotWeatherTV-Alt-1.png
CarrotWeatherTV-Alt-2.png
CarrotWeatherTV-Alt-4.png
CarrotWeatherTV-Alt-5.png

CARROT Weather for Apple TV is available on the ATV App Store for $3.99. You can find it by simply entering "CAR" into the App Store search - it should be the first option!

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Pay, pay, pay. How about pay once for all apps? Ugh.

Because building apps takes a *lot* of time and effort, which I'm sure you can appreciate. With the CARROT apps, the work doesn't just stop with coding the app - I then have to do twice as much work with writing all the dialogue, drawing all the artwork, creating all the fun little things that set CARROT apart from other apps. On top of all that, I keep both the iOS and Mac apps updated with frequent, completely free content updates.

Building and designing the app for Apple TV wasn't something I just did for fun in one night, it took weeks and weeks of work. Sadly, I cannot work for free, so it's either charge for the app or not make one at all. Personally, I'd rather make a cool app that people really enjoy.

Considering all the extra work and care I put into the CARROT apps, particularly in post-release support, I've very rarely been called "greedy" - hopefully if you stop to think about why you'd have to pay for something, you can appreciate the decisions behind it.

Last edited:

user07

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
TN
Happily paid for CARROT for iOS. I also happily paid for it again for my girlfriend to use. Not a day goes by that we dont look foreward to some smartass weather forecasts. Great job sir.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Really good weather app for tvOS, best one I've seen so far. Gets you all the relevant information in a fun and entertaining manner.

Unfortunately, I had to delete it from my Apple TV. Please add an option to turn the voice audio off like you have on the iPhone. I know the language isn't really that bad but, there are a few phrases that I'd rather my kids not hear. Add a voice on/off option and I'll gladly reinstall the app.

Reactions: MakerOfCARROT

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Please add an option to turn the voice audio off like you have on the iPhone.

Already available! Just go into the TV's Settings app, then to Apps, then find CARROT Weather in the list and the option is in there (along with a bunch of other settings). I think just about everyone is sticking their app settings in the Settings app at the moment - it looks a little out of place having a big settings button in a tvOS app.

Reactions: Darla and Weaselboy

Examinus

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
Purchased for iPhone and Apple TV and happy with both.

I would love to have notifications on the iOS app though but don't have a desktop computer I can leave on to send them. Any plans to have standalone notifications? Could the Apple TV be the server for them? That's the biggest downside of the app at the moment.

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
I would love to have notifications on the iOS app though but don't have a desktop computer I can leave on to send them. Any plans to have standalone notifications? Could the Apple TV be the server for them? That's the biggest downside of the app at the moment.

I am indeed planning on adding standalone notifications for the iOS app in the future! The Mac app was really just the first step, since I was already building it anyhow and it was relatively easy to have that act as your own server that forwarded notifications to your phone directly. Building a central server that's responsible for notifying everyone is a bit more time-consuming.

Sadly, the Apple TV app can't act as a server because it can't run constantly in the background like the Mac app can (plus, the Apple TV goes to sleep automatically after a little while). The Apple TV's background capabilities are pretty similar to the restrictions placed on iOS apps.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Because building apps takes a *lot* of time and effort, which I'm sure you can appreciate. With the CARROT apps, the work doesn't just stop with coding the app - I then have to do twice as much work with writing all the dialogue, drawing all the artwork, creating all the fun little things that set CARROT apart from other apps. On top of all that, I keep both the iOS and Mac apps updated with frequent, completely free content updates.

Building and designing the app for Apple TV wasn't something I just did for fun in one night, it took weeks and weeks of work. Sadly, I cannot work for free, so it's either charge for the app or not make one at all. Personally, I'd rather make a cool app that people really enjoy.

Considering all the extra work and care I put into the CARROT apps, particularly in post-release support, I've very rarely been called "greedy" - hopefully if you stop to think about why you'd have to pay for something, you can appreciate the decisions behind it.

Okay, fair enough. After buying Carrot for my Apple TV, I went to the App Store to purchase it for my Mac. Then I saw that the price increased from $9.99 to $11.99. Ouch! I passed.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I just purchased this app on my iPad. It is really cool. I like that it adds some humor to checking the weather.

I'll be getting it for the ATV as well.

Keep up the good work!

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Thanks guys, really appreciate the kind words! So cool to see the app in the top 10 paid and grossing apps on the new App Store.

Reactions: Darla

zampe

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2011
If you're going to advertise the product you are selling seems like the right thing to do is support the site with a sponsored post instead of making a spammy thread. Just because you welcome feedback doesn't mean this isn't mainly just an advertisement.

Reactions: GIZBUG

Examinus

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
I am indeed planning on adding standalone notifications for the iOS app in the future! The Mac app was really just the first step, since I was already building it anyhow and it was relatively easy to have that act as your own server that forwarded notifications to your phone directly. Building a central server that's responsible for notifying everyone is a bit more time-consuming.

Sadly, the Apple TV app can't act as a server because it can't run constantly in the background like the Mac app can (plus, the Apple TV goes to sleep automatically after a little while). The Apple TV's background capabilities are pretty similar to the restrictions placed on iOS apps.
Brilliant, thanks. Any idea when we'll get standalone notifications?

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I just saw this and hadn't heard of Carrott. On iOS does it have a Badge Icon that gives accurate temps??

Been looking for that and no weather app I can find seems to update the Badge Icon continuously.

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
I'm hoping to find a way to add this in the future, though this is a tough one because there's no way for iOS apps to update at a consistent time interval when the app is in the background. An app can tell the system that it wants to update data in the background, but the system decides when those updates will occur based on various factors, like battery levels, whether the phone is currently plugged in, whether you're on wifi, etc - so they could happen 30 minutes later for the first update, 3 hours later for the next update, then 10 minutes, then 6 hours. That's obviously no good for accurate temperatures - and that's why there aren't really any apps that have temperature badges.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Yea, I figured something was up because Fahrenheit used to show the temp and it worked great. Suddenly about a year or so ago it stopped updating. Now it only updates when you open the app which defeats the purpose so I turned it off. It was very handy while it worked. Hopefully you guys can find a way around it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.