Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
** Edit: This post is a little dated now, as I've continued to make major improvements to the Apple Watch app. Check out these annotated screenshots for details on the recent redesign of CARROT Weather for Apple Watch. **

Hi MacRumors forum goers! I know a bunch of you are huge fans of CARROT Weather's Apple Watch complications, so I thought I'd detail some of the big changes that went into today's 2.2 update.

watchfaces.png

There’s a truly ridiculous amount of customization here that no other apps come even close to offering. You can change colors, switch between actual and “feels like” temps, and even add data points like UV index and precipitation chance to both the small and large slots.

Options for small slot: temperature only, temperature + condition, condition only, wind, UV index, precipitation chance, pressure, visibility, dew point, humidity, cloud cover, and weather alerts.

Options for extra data point on large slot: feels like temperature, Celsius + Fahrenheit, wind speed, UV index, precipitation chance, humidity, pressure, visibility, dew point, cloud cover, sunrise/sunset, moon phase, weather alerts, and location.

(Note that the customization options, the half-hourly updates, and the notifications require the Premium Club upgrade. I've already gone into detail on here as to why the premium upgrade is necessary, but to make a long story short: each weather data update costs a small amount of money, and there are far, far more updates coming from an app that updates every hour of every day. Without the upgrade, I wouldn't have been able to offer these additional features at all.)

Let me know if you have any questions on how everything works - or if you have any new feature requests! A lot of the ideas in this version came from forum members and users emailing in.

CARROT Weather, $4.99 on the App Store

Last edited:

bthompson

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
Wow awesome. As someone who never buys apps I bought carrot a few weeks ago and have been trying it out. I bought dark sky and quickly got a refund. I've been frustrated by the slow load time on carrot but this update is exciting. Still pondering the premium.........

Thank you for all of your hard work!

Cricet1979

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2015
Great update! Well worth the price of the premium upgrade. I do wish there was a way to have multiple complications from one app on the watch face, but I'm pretty sure that's a limitation from Apple and not the developer. Maybe one day.

Thanks again for a great update!!

Reactions: MakerOfCARROT

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Great update! Well worth the price of the premium upgrade. I do wish there was a way to have multiple complications from one app on the watch face, but I'm pretty sure that's a limitation from Apple and not the developer. Maybe one day.

You can have 2 CARROT Weather complications active with different data sets if you're using one in the large slot and one in the small slot.

Unfortunately, Apple didn’t intend for developers to offer multiple complications for the same app, so there’s no way for me to tell how many complications you have active at once (which would be necessary for me to display one set of data in one complication and another set in another complication). The only way to distinguish between complications is based on the design template, and because the large and small slots use different templates, that's how I’m able to show different data for large and small.

Reactions: haruhiko

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Definitely one of the best native apps for speed alone but also adds choices for complications. Easily the best weather app in my opinion.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Looks like a great app, how does it work outside he US though? I'm in Australia is there the same level of functionality through satellites over radar (sorry if this is a stupid question)

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Looks like a great app, how does it work outside he US though? I'm in Australia is there the same level of functionality through satellites over radar (sorry if this is a stupid question)

Yep, CARROT works worldwide! The only thing that's missing outside the US, Canada, and the UK is rain prediction and radar maps (you still get satellite maps, though). I've heard a couple reports from users in Australia that the wind data can be a little wonky, but that's about it.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Yep, CARROT works worldwide! The only thing that's missing outside the US, Canada, and the UK is rain prediction and radar maps (you still get satellite maps, though). I've heard a couple reports from users in Australia that the wind data can be a little wonky, but that's about it.

So if you pay for BOM (http://www.bom.gov.au) or radar data maybe you could add this as a paid upgrade for Australian

professor peach

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2007
I've worked out that "Blue" is for rain & "Orange" is for sun when using the small temperature complication. Does anyone know what the "Purple" colour signifies & if there are any more colours that I may not have seen yet?

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
One thing I'd like to see is sunrise/sunset added to the Large Slot default complication on the Modular face. There's just about room to squeeze it in.

Have that on my list of things to add in the next update! I'll probably just say the time with an up arrow for sunrise, and a down arrow for sunset. Are you on the beta already?

I've worked out that "Blue" is for rain & "Orange" is for sun when using the small temperature complication. Does anyone know what the "Purple" colour signifies & if there are any more colours that I may not have seen yet?

Yellow is sunny, purple is moony (or a clear night, in non-CARROT parlance), blue is rain/snow, gray-blue is cloudy, and just plain gray is foggy.

Reactions: professor peach

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
How fast does this load on the Apple Watch? When using the app? Obviously I expect the complication to work well.

I love dark sky on the phone but it's a huge letdown on the Apple Watch

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
How fast does this load on the Apple Watch? When using the app? Obviously I expect the complication to work well.

It should load relatively fast in the main app, just a couple seconds. I've done everything I can to get it as fast as possible, including going through the code line by line, measuring how long each bit takes, to try to shave off every millisecond I could. (The first data load may take a little longer because it needs to download some extra data, find your location, etc.)

Reactions: haruhiko

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Thanks, I'm a give it a shot. So how much after the 3.99 app cost does it cost to get full features?

parrot5

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010

I love dark sky on the phone but it's a huge letdown on the Apple Watch
I finally bought it after struggling with Weather Underground and Accuweather. I can say that Carrot loads and refreshes much faster on the watch than the other two.

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
How often does the complication update? I travel a lot and I noticed the complication doesn't list the city you are in, which is fine, but curious if I drive from Nashville to Memphis, when does it update?...if you had the long complication with the start and stop rain?

I love that feature and its what I love about dark sky on the iPhone, buts again the watch app is kind of worthless.

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
How often does the complication update? I travel a lot and I noticed the complication doesn't list the city you are in, which is fine, but curious if I drive from Nashville to Memphis, when does it update?...if you had the long complication with the start and stop rain?

It's $1.99 extra for the in-app purchase per year. And the complication updates every 30 mins - and should update when you change cities as well. (You can check that by opening the main Apple Watch app, it says the city in the status bar at the top.)

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Reactions: Joausti1

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
Like the app BUT . . . I am getting constant reminders on my watch to upgrade to premium even thought I already have upgraded. Any suggestions? I deleted from my watch and reinstalled, but still getting the "Upgrade to premium to unlock half-hourly . . ." message.

MakerOfCARROT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
I am getting constant reminders on my watch to upgrade to premium even thought I already have upgraded.

That's strange! Haven't heard of that happening before, it should only show up once and that's it. Can you try uninstalling the watch app then reinstalling?

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Any way to join the beta testing? I test 3 other apps and would love to try another. And the premium gets you what exactly?? 30 minute refreshes and what else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.