Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alaman64

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2017
The latest dec beta 10.15 updates the firmware on the 2018 mini, so know you see the apple logo when it boots and you are able to choose what operating system. The bad, is that you get a black screen instead of a login screen a few seconds later with no login. The only way I was able to login is by connecting a second monitor to the Hdmi port and then hot plugging g the egpu.

Reactions: Wowmail

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
The latest dec beta 10.15 updates the firmware on the 2018 mini, so know you see the apple logo when it boots and you are able to choose what operating system. The bad, is that you get a black screen instead of a login screen a few seconds later with no login. The only way I was able to login is by connecting a second monitor to the Hdmi port and then hot plugging g the egpu.

that black screen only comes with certain enclosures , my sonnet 550w doesent do that. shows the apple logo all the way from boot.

Reactions: ruslan120

alaman64

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2017
that black screen only comes with certain enclosures , my sonnet 550w doesent do that. shows the apple logo all the way from boot.

That's a bit discouraging, because that means it's a problem with Gigabyte's implementation and we'll have to wait for Gigabyte to correct the problem though a firmware upgrade.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
I have 1 LG 4k Monitor. I have the eGpu use the display port. I am using a Radeon 580 8GB installed into a Sonnet 550. When I Boot to Boot Camp.. its blank screen... then login , with the only monitor that is connected to the. eGPU . This was also the behavior under Mojave. Just restart in Windows.. wait a bit, you're on. The eGPU works everywhere in windows, and shines on games.

With Catalina, The Monitor shows freaky pinkish color and an Apple. It then re boots. the fans on the Radeon The Sonnet, and the Mac mini ramp up to max. It's pretty noisy. Then it reboots again, and does the same thing. If you leave it, It will

If I start with the Intel active and the GPU, It displays the apple... then blinks and takes you to login screen. After you log in, you can plug in the eGPU and disconnect the Intel. You display, and " about this Mac" indicate you're on the eGPU, and it works after that.

Installshield

macrumors member
My Sonnet 350 booted up (several times) to login screen via DisplayPort to Sonnet to Thunderbolt 3. The Apple logo did seem a bit delayed though.

I regret that no Displayport or DVI monitor is available for testing here. All my tests are based on HDMI connection on a Samsung KS7500 SmartTV, remembering that before testing Catalina Betas, only eGPU booting would normally take place on Mojave.

Mac Mini 2018 / Akitio Node / XFX RX 580

Last edited:

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Mac Mini 2018 has has eGPU boot screen support (it came with a firmware update in beta 5). However after booting up, instead of the login screen a blank white screen appears for me. The system appears to be frozen. If I briefly power off the eGPU and turn it on again, the login screen appears properly. This might be an eGPU specific issue, I experience this problem with my 2018 Mac Mini + Zotac Box Mini + RX 570 setup.

Yockster seems to have the same issue. Also hagjohn.

Based on this and on the expereince of others, eGPU support is still somewhat problematic in Catalina.

Reactions: hagjohn

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Mac Mini 2018 has has eGPU boot screen support (it came with a firmware update in beta 5). However after booting up, instead of the login screen a blank white screen appears for me. The system appears to be frozen. If I briefly power off the eGPU and turn it on again, the login screen appears properly. This might be an eGPU specific issue, I experience this problem with my 2018 Mac Mini + Zotac Box Mini + RX 570 setup.

Yockster seems to have the same issue. Also hagjohn.

Based on this and on the expereince of others, eGPU support is still somewhat problematic in Catalina.
Yes, I had the white screen this morning during my boot to eGPU. I had to power it off and switch my monitor to HDMI till booting stopped at the empty wallpaper background. Then I switch to Displayport (eGPU) and I get the login screen.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
Same here. I have to unplug the TB cable, Boot to Intel on HDMI, then re-plug in TB, the eGPU comes up. What's hilarious is that there is no such problem for Bootcamp, Just reboot and wait, you get the proper login on the eGPU, no diddling around needed.

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
I've got a Razer Core X Chroma, Vega 64 card & a 2017 MBP. Not had an issue with it, works like a charm :)

Yeah, the white screen of death issue probably affects the 2018 Mac Mini only. I suppose it has something to do with its upgraded firmware which supports eGPU boot screen. Hopefully it will be fixed in the upcoming beta.

Reactions: Wowmail

Installshield

macrumors member
I have now found that it is possible to log in to the Mac Mini 2018 by booting with eGPU only if File Vault is enabled.

The screen with the Apple logo appeared and then I was presented with the login screen, it took a while for my mouse and keyboard to be used.

The problem is that after logging in the system the video signal is lost as before. :apple:

melvinlusk

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
Ponchatoula, LA
I have the boot loop issue with my Mac Mini 2018 as well....I have a Radeon RX 580, and both an OWC Mercury Helios FX and an Akito Node. The issue happens no matter which enclosure I put the Radeon into.

The only way I can successfully boot is to power off the eGPU, boot up using the Mac's internal HDMI, and then power on the eGPU once the boot process is complete. I'm on Beta 6.

Installshield

macrumors member
I have the boot loop issue with my Mac Mini 2018 as well....I have a Radeon RX 580, and both an OWC Mercury Helios FX and an Akito Node. The issue happens no matter which enclosure I put the Radeon into.

The only way I can successfully boot is to power off the eGPU, boot up using the Mac's internal HDMI, and then power on the eGPU once the boot process is complete. I'm on Beta 6.

With each new Beta only increases the frustration with this problem.
And with each new Beta someone creates a new thread on the same subject, and the discussion restarts with everyone posting again what they have already commented on other topics. Some say that if you use the DisplayPort cable the problem does not occur but I have no way to test here. There is a new Bios with every new Beta and we look forward to the correction.

I just installed the second supplemental update for Mojave 10.14.6 (18G95) and nothing new Firmware, it seems that only Catalina will bring new Bios

This update contains bug fixes that improve the stability, performance, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.

This update:

• Resolves an issue that may cause certain Mac notebooks to shut down during sleep
• Fixes an issue that may degrade performance when working with very large files
• Addresses an issue that may prevent Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iMovie, and GarageBand from updating

Last edited:

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania

I have 2 cables plugged into my monitor. eGPU via DP and internal via HDMI. I change my monitor input to HDMI while booting and then switch it after I get to the wallpaper. I have eGPU as my main screen, so I have to switch to it to get to the login screen. It's not perfect but I do not have to pull cables and such.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
Yup eGPU still broken, Books ask for eternal password, News does not work. The only bug they contacted me on was drive icons. The rest have been ignored. The bad part is , Windows works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.