Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yup eGPU still broken, Books ask for eternal password, News does not work. The only bug they contacted me on was drive icons. The rest have been ignored. The bad part is , Windows works great.
I get the books password every time I open it but News works fine for me. Wish they would fix the eGPU.

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Catalina Dev Beta 8 contains another firmware update for the 2018 Mac Mini but it does not solve the white screen of death problem occuring after boot. :( This affects the several eGPUs on the market (but not all apparently).

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Which ones aren't affected? I can confirm that the problem still exist with my RX 580 and Akito Node.
I have 2 - Mac Mini's with eGPU's both have Sonnet BreakAway Boxes. 1 with a watercooled Vega64 the 2nd with a Strix Vega56.
I haven't seen any issues after reboots.
Actually I just upgraded my Mini at work with the Vega64, started the upgrade(dp8), walked away and came back an hour later with the desktop waiting to be logged in to.

melvinlusk

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
Ponchatoula, LA
I booted successfully to the login screen (19A558d) this morning with my Sonnet box. Hope the trend continues.

I'm still having the issue if I put the RX 580 in either my Akito Node or OWC Mercury Helios FX, but it's good to hear that some enclosures are now working properly.

melvinlusk

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
Ponchatoula, LA
This isn't really relevant, but I thought I share my workaround for this since I can't reboot my machine remotely if the eGPU is powered on and don't have someone physically at the Mac that can turn off my enclosure.

I picked up one of these yesterday, and plugged the enclosure into it:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tp-link-kasa-smart-wi-fi-plug-mini-white/5763116.p?skuId=5763116

Now if I need to reboot, I power off the smart outlet using the app, reboot the mac, and then power the outlet back up once it's finished booting. I tested it this morning and it works like a charm.

Of course this is a hack, but it's all I got until Apple can get this fixed.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
Apple tells us " The Mac Mini is powerful, no room for a real GPU. But we have Thunderbolt! Attach an iGPU. Oh Don't use Nvidia, Umm Only use these cards from AMD......... You think they could get this right! The Mac Mini boots up in a wierd color, and reverse color Apple. If Booting Windows .. It chugs, then "ping" Your at the Login Screen! The iGPU is fast, and if you keep it cool, It munches games.

Boot into MAC OS? umm no, It boot-loops, starts, runs fans at max, then clicks off iGPU .. then reboots.. over and over. Maybe we should send the video programmers to Redmond to see how Windows does it.

PLUS Windows plays ALL KINDS OF 4 K CONTENT. Come on Apple, get into the big leagues, this is getting laughable.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Funny thing is that Apple never put in a release note in Feedback Assistant for the beta 8. All the previous betas had one. This one didn't.

Installshield

macrumors member
I went through all the Catalina Betas without being able to boot using only the eGPU and now found in the egpu.io forums that the Mac Mini 2018 works perfectly as long as a DisplayPort Cable is used to connect the eGPU to the monitor. No problems with startup and sleep here. Now I need to find out if with a DisplayPort / HDMI Cable it will be okay

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
I do use Display port , with a Sonnet enclosure. The Display port cable is from the card to the monitor. Still having terrible boot issues. I have to unplug the eGPU to boot, then plug it in after login. Very annoying.

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Catalina Dev Beta 9 contains yet another firmware update for the 2018 Mac Mini but it does not solve the eGPU white screen of death problem occuring right after boot. :( Using DisplayPort does not solve the issue for me. I have to power off and on the eGPU every time I restart my Mac.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
I am so tired writing the same feedback over and over, This is what I sent today :

If you boot with eGPU, you get a magenta screen a distorted apple.. then .. BLANK. If I switch to internal Intel It’s a big green screen. THE ONLY WAY I CAN BOOT is disconnect the eGPU then boot only to Intel. After login, Plug in eGPU. COME ON GUYS you told us wed love eGPU’s because you make your computers so thermal throttled they can use a decent video card.

This eGPU is a Sonnet 550. It has an AMD 580 8GB. ALL OF THIS IS ON SUPPORTED LIST. IT USED TO WORK WITH MOJAVE.

Here is the kicker. If I reboot in Boot Camp…It logs in and works fine.

Windows 10 uses external graphics better then you! This is pathetic.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
My 2018 Mac Mini has been on an eGPU since first dev preview.
Sonnet BB 350 upgraded PSU with CorsairSF600 w/ a Vega64 watercooled over DP to a 32" 4K monitor.
Still on it to this day.
And wife is on a 2018 Mac Mini with a Sonnet BB 350 w/ Corsair SF600 and Vega56 Strix, over DP to 32" 4K monitor.

I hope that isnt what you sent word for word. The equivalent of telling a restaurant they cook **** food and then expecting them to not spit in your food.

Last edited:

melvinlusk

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
Ponchatoula, LA
My Akito Node is still having the issue with Beta 9. I haven't tested it with my Mercury Helios enclosure, but I suspect the issue will still persist. My monitor has always been connected with DisplayPort.

It's interesting that people are reporting that it works with the Sonnet enclosure. Worst case scenario, I'll purchase one of those if this isn't fixed by the time of the Catalina general release (which I'd imagine everything will be sorted out by then).

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
Hi, Today with Public Beta 9:

It still booted to blank screen, but this time, instead of using the Internal, I unplugged then plugged in the eGPU. It then synced and booted up to login. This is a big step, I think we are close. BTW I got an answer from apple on my complaint. They said it made them chuckle, but they deserved the tongue lashing. My respect for Apple just jumped up 100%

Hope this helps.

P.S. Bootcamp (Mine is on an external TB SSD) works flawlessly.

Last edited:
Reactions: star-affinity
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.