Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Installshield

macrumors member
Until Beta 9 my concern was booting using eGPU. It turns out that from Beta 10 and GM the system freezes and after 1 minute restarts the mac, no matter if with or without eGPU. I started testing each version on external USB 3.1 SSD

Mac Mini 2018 / Akitio Node + RX 580

In Windows, the fumbling happens only at software level, so it's easy to go back one version and undo the problem. It is ridiculous to have a new boot rom with each new version.

Oops ! When installing directly on the internal SSD there were no problems with crashes

Last edited:

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
From looking at your post, your sig, and https://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-box.html - are you using the discontinued '350' model, or one of the current 550/650 models?

Also, I'm quite curious why yours is working but numerous people said their OWC's aren't, when by all appearances/tech spec listings, the Sonnet (non-puck) and OWC eGPU cases are essentially the same box with a different logo on it (presumably a white-label product they each add their own logo to?)
Yes, I'm using the 350 version. I had not realized it had been discontinued (must have happened recently) but I think all the boxes are all the same, other than how much power each one produces. I am going to upgrade the power supply in it. Others have without issues, which should allow me to run a more powerful graphics card, if I want.

All I did was upgrade the OS and then shut it down. Did an SMC reset while it was powered off. I was able to boot up to login screen again this morning.

Last edited:

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Yes, I'm using the 350 version. I had not realized it had been discontinued (must have happened recently) but I think all the boxes are all the same, other than how much power each one produces.
I was going to say maybe the 350 has older firmware, but based on the info you posted, yours actually has newer firmware (by 0.1) than my 550!

(I haven't tried Catalina yet)

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
I tried SMC reset, did not solve the issue for me. I use a Zotac Mini Box eGPU enclosure. I think the issue might be GPU dependent, not eGPU enclosure dependent though.

I am glad it works for hagjohn!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Just updated another Mac Mini 2018 to Catalina GM / B11 with Akitio Node and Vega56 with single monitor connected via Displayport. Update and reboots went smooth.

I also have a Core X with a Radeon VII that is working just fine.

melvinlusk

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
Ponchatoula, LA
Just updated another Mac Mini 2018 to Catalina GM / B11 with Akitio Node and Vega56 with single monitor connected via Displayport. Update and reboots went smooth.

I also have a Core X with a Radeon VII that is working just fine.
Based off of this, I'm inclined to agreee with what stevemr123 said....that it seems to be related to the GPU, IE Vega cards seem to be fine but base model RX 580's are affected.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Well, that didn't last long. :( I had a crash of the OS today (caused, I think, by Parallels) and now it boots to white screen again.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
is the Radeon VII working much better than the Vega in Catalina? There didn’t seem to be much difference in Mojave according to benchmarks.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Anyone tried a clean install, with GM, to see if that fixes the white screen? I'll probably do a clean install when the release version comes out.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Working a treat ?
456577A6-3034-44F2-A0EA-D5391D591B39.jpeg

221DDAF8-7E93-4B3F-887D-C9F3C74DCF5C.jpeg

Reactions: BigMcGuire

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
is the Radeon VII working much better than the Vega in Catalina? There didn’t seem to be much difference in Mojave according to benchmarks.
I don't seem to notice a significant improvement over the Vega64, personally. I have had no issues with it either though.

Installshield

macrumors member
I downloaded the ISO, created a bootable flash drive, and when trying to format received a warning that an available and mandatory update should be made, then I accepted and the system rebooted and this activated back the protections that prevent booting from external media, I can not no way to go into options to disable protections and here I am doing a clean install with internet recovery. I also noticed that after this internal update it is now possible to recover from the internet with both Mojave and Catalina, depending on the keystroke you pressed during boot. Has anyone completed the installation and can test if eGPU is booting as it should?

schopaia

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2010
I'm getting a 'no signal' message on restart with a Sonnet + 580 + mac mini 2018 setup. It was sometimes finicky in Mojave but much worse in Catalina.

melvinlusk

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
Ponchatoula, LA
I have the Problem also. I am using the Sonnet 550 and an AMD 580. Should I replace it with a Vega 56?

That seems to be the only thing in common with the people that are reporting success. Given that the general release is already out and that Apple hasn't responded to any of our feedback post, I doubt that they are working toward resolving it for the folks that aren't using Vega.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.