Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
My Vega should be here today, But Amazon tracking is not working. That's been my luck, Cleaning supplies, Monthly order of paper plates.. all get here on time. sometimes early. But if i spend real bucks and am chomping at the bit to get it ... They lose it. Well Fingers crossed!

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I purchased all of my Vega cards off of ebay just by the way. The costs were significantly less than a new card, especially when at the time it was for testing purposes to make sure it worked plug and play.
I've been doing eGPU with Mac since the 980Ti was released, that was my first external card, so doing it for about 5 years.
Then upgraded to 1080Ti connected to the trash can mac pro, and now moved to Vega because they have been for the most part completely plug and go since I went to the Vega64.

Hoping your new card comes in soon and you can get back to enjoying your setup again.

Reactions: Wowmail

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
I Got the Vega, Wow Its much faster , and had no problem booting to Catalina. Boot camp, however , is a bit borked.. with error 12. That will take a weekend.

Oh, The Vegas fans are dead silent, a real improvement over my 580

ibarnett

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
I have upgraded to Catalina & had only been using onboard iGPU because of the comments in this thread.
However because of the question here:https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...screen-with-catalina-boot-rom-update.2205111/
I decided to try my eGPU.
Result was no problems at all, plus what seems to be a full normal boot screen, took a little while to appear but I had Apple Logo plus full progress bars ?
My system:
Mac mini 2018, 3 Ghz 6-Core i5
64 GB 2667 Mhz DDR4
Razer Core X T3
Saphire Nitro+ Radeon RX580 8 Gb
Samsung 49" LC49J890

Maccotto

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
I have sonnet 350 with a ti 580 ex and when I restart the screen became with.
I need boot with Mac mini hdmi and after connect sonnet

weezerr

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
I Got the Vega, Wow Its much faster , and had no problem booting to Catalina. Boot camp, however , is a bit borked.. with error 12. That will take a weekend.

Oh, The Vegas fans are dead silent, a real improvement over my 580

Thinking about a 5700 with Navi support now in 10.15.1 or gonna stick with the Vega?

Last edited:

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
The Vega works nearly flawless in Catalina. I get the "Apple," am able to access recovery .. and it boots right up.

Bootcamp .. well I fixed the error 12, and got Bootcamp back up. Then I remembered. The missing "base device" never works. Windows update breaks eGPU's. AMD Connect is a bit finicky and it heats up like crazy. I spend more time tweaking / repairing Bootcamp, That I am going to drop it and throw together s Windows box.

melvinlusk

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
Ponchatoula, LA
The Vega works nearly flawless in Catalina. I get the "Apple," am able to access recovery .. and it boots right up.

Bootcamp .. well I fixed the error 12, and got Bootcamp back up. Then I remembered. The missing "base device" never works. Windows update breaks eGPU's. AMD Connect is a bit finicky and it heats up like crazy. I spend more time tweaking / repairing Bootcamp, That I am going to drop it and throw together s Windows box.

I ordered a Vega 56 from eBay. I'm hoping it arrives sometime next week. I'll post my results once it does.

Installshield

macrumors member
The Vega has the worst energy efficiency of the last years, I'm still waiting for the support of the Navi but if I take too long I will order a Vega 56 and I will have to change the power supply of Akitio Node, by the way can you tell me if Akitio Node's 400w will hold an RX 5700 / XT

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
It's a toss up on the PSU. my stock Node handlied a 1080Ti overclocked with a watercooling pump/resovoir in the enclosure for quite a while. Swapped in the Vega64 and it literally popped within a week under YouTube watching load.
But .. I have not tried a 5700 myself.

Reactions: jagooch

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
I got the Gigabyte version of the Vega 56. It is butter smooth, and dead silent. The fans are spinning, the temp is fine, it's just a whole lot quieter. I even feel better separating the Mac from the gaming Windows PC. Now just the normal crap updates from Microsoft. lol

Wedlock

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
St Willebrord , The Netherlands
Been reading this thread yesterday and quite an interesting read....

I've got a Mac Mini (2018) with a Sonnet Breakaway Box with Radeon RX580 card from MSI and had no problems with it until i updated to Catalina.
Yes like you guys have problems with the OS, so i downgraded back to Mojave only to find nothing has changed.
So i contacted Apple and explained everything and the guy i talked to said well there are many problems with Catalina and we have a special bug reporting app and I will file your problems in there but no solution for now ?
I then went on to contact Sonnet to see if they heard any complaints (because Apple said they get close to none about eGPU's pff) and they were surprised about my problem.
The guy told me they tested every card in their lab with the Mac Mini and they could not replicate the problem we all seem to have ?
I told them about this thread and others and he was very surprised about this.
He asked me to check on some settings but none worked so they don't know what's going on either......

I really do hope Apple gets their act together (which i doubt) but if there is no solution soon i'll sell on my RX580 and get an Vega card.....or wait for the rumored Navi support in a 10.15.1 update ?

scuzy

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
Anyone else's eGPU Radeon Vega64 cause mac mini 2018 to random reboot ? It kernel crashes.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Anyone else's eGPU Radeon Vega64 cause mac mini 2018 to random reboot ? It kernel crashes.
Not either of mine. My Mini at work has been on Catalina since day 1 developer preview and has turned off/rebooted/etc when I rebooted after upgrading to the next build version.

My wife's has been on Catalina since mid-way through the dev preview (august-ish) and has not had any kernel panics. I will sometimes use her as a 2ndary testbed outside of myself because there are some issues or kinks that I am just used to dealing with, if ANYTHING outside of working perfectly happens on her computers she will tell me IMMEDIATELY, like IMMEDIATELY:rolleyes:.

Hers is using a VEGA56 Strix, mine is a VEGA64 Water-cooled.

Also just something I have been doing on my Mac and windows computers, I will run chkdsk and sfc /scannow on all Windows PC's and First Aid on all Macs before and after any major updates. So any point upgrade and version upgrades. Just to check permissions/disk errors/anything the system may pick up on and can fix itself quickly.

Last edited:

scuzy

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
hmm maybe its not the egpu but notice when my display goes into off mode when i tried to wake it it kernel crashes. Mines a Asus Radeon Vega 64 + Razor Core EGPU housing.

lietsche

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2006
Were there any reports of the combination Mac mini 2018 + Blackmagic egpu (Radeon Pro 580) being affected? Didn’t find any.

Last edited:

Wowmail

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2017
San Diego, California
I gave my 580 to a WINDOWS BOX. Threw in a couple of M2 drives, a big spinner, I-7 six core, 32 gb. Total cost not counting the 580.. under $300. It was worth it to get over the Mac - Bootcamp headaches. I did drop a pretty penny on the Vega 56, it is smooth as butter, I can access recovery, etc. So Now, the Mini is 100% macOS.. The windows box is next to it. I use a Synology NAS to sync all the important files. It is nice to be able to do a Windows update, and not brick Bootcamp.

It's a pleasure to be on a working Mac again. I had about 50 books to transfer to my iPad Pro. Now just the nagging bugs in Catalina.

Take care all, we have the best Life Hobby of all.

Last edited:

Installshield

macrumors member
Just installed the supplemental update that just came out. Good thing is that it went through the entire install with the eGPU and booted to the login screen.

My Boot Rom is 1037.40.111.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.11068.5.6,0) because I was already testing 10.15.1

I installed the external disk 10.15 with the add-in and there was no change here

Could you inform the ROM boot version from the 10.15 add-in?

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
My Boot Rom is 1037.40.111.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.11068.5.6,0) because I was already testing 10.15.1

I installed the external disk 10.15 with the add-in and there was no change here

Could you inform the ROM boot version from the 10.15 add-in?
I'm not saying it's fixed but it did go through the update without any issues on eGPU. I haven't rebooted yet.

Boot ROM Version: 1037.0.78.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.10572.0.0,0)

eGFX Breakaway Box:
Vendor Name: Sonnet Technologies, Inc.
Device Name: eGFX Breakaway Box
Vendor ID: 0x8
Device ID: 0x30
Device Revision: 0x1
UID: 0x0008DCF8B482B500
Route String: 3
Firmware Version: 25.2
Port (Upstream):
Link Status: 0x2
Speed: Up to 40 Gb/s x1
Current Link Width: 0x2
Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.36.0

Radeon RX 580:
Name: ATY,AMD,RadeonFramebuffer
Type: Display Controller
Driver Installed: Yes
Tunnel Compatible: Yes
Pause Compatible: No
MSI: Yes
Bus: PCI
Slot: Thunderbolt@198,0,0
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x67df
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1da2
Subsystem ID: 0xe387
Revision ID: 0x00e7
Link Width: x4
Link Speed: 8.0 GT/s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.