Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrianwolfsn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2020
Austria
Hi people,
I wanted to install Mojave on a new 870 evo drive and it was a desaster !
In difference to my 860 ‘s the installer didn’t reboot into the 2’nd phase .
I had to hard reboot ?
Later on , the drive even had’nt been recognized . That happened also after starting from another mojave drive ( 860 evo ) . With a second new 870 it’s been the same issue . Bootchime was missing and OpenCore didn’t start from . An serious Installation is’nt possible !
I asked Samsung, but they told me there should ( as I thought by myself ) no difference ?
But since I’m successfully using 4 860 evo’s and 3 970 Pro’s and plenty of installation experience , I may say, that I know, what I’m doing !
Maybe it’s correlated with the new drive controller ?
Using the 870 drives as HP ssd 7110 APFS raid 0 drives seems to be no problem ?
Be cautious !
I’m looking now for another 860 evo drives ‘cause they work as expected.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Wha...?

From what I can tell, the 870 Evo is just a SATA drive. They shouldn't need anything special. That's really weird...

seanshou

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
Hi people,
I had to hard reboot ?
Later on , the drive even had’nt been recognized . That happened also after starting from another mojave drive ( 860 evo ) . With a second new 870 it’s been the same issue . Bootchime was missing and OpenCore didn’t start from . An serious Installation is’nt possible !
I asked Samsung, but they told me there should ( as I thought by myself ) no difference ?
But since I’m successfully using 4 860 evo’s and 3 970 Pro’s and plenty of installation experience , I may say, that I know, what I’m doing !
Be cautious !
Same issue: I have SSD 870 EVO 2TB. Only hard (cool) boot, it will in list `diskutil list`. If it's warm boot. It will disappear.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
More than two years and 3 months since the first 860 QVO drives were released and Samsung did not yet released a compatible firmware for SATA2 Macs, I wouldn't expect a 870 EVO firmware update anytime soon…

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
More than two years and 3 months since the first 860 QVO drives were released and Samsung did not yet released a compatible firmware for SATA2 Macs, I wouldn't expect a 870 EVO firmware update anytime soon…
@tsialex - does that mean it will have problems in a drive bay with SATA II but perhaps not on a PCIe card with SATA III?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
@tsialex - does that mean it will have problems in a drive bay with SATA II but perhaps not on a PCIe card with SATA III?
It's not so simple.

While recent SATA III drives are partially incompatible with the ancient SATA II interface of Mac Pros (3V3 pin is now used to signal/control sleep to the drive, problem with almost any recent big size HDD too), there are also SATA communication protocol improvements with the current implementation that seems to make some recent SATA III drives incompatible with Apple SATA drivers itself.

Some SATA III drives have a fail-safe workaround implemented in the firmware to make it compatible to computers that still have the ancient SATA II standard, what is usually called a quirk, but now seems that no manufacturer is bothering with it anymore with recent releases. Even some Macs that had an early SATA III controller like some 2011 and 2012 MacBook Pros with the Intel 6 and 7 chipset series have problems with recent released SATA III drives.

No Mac has SATA drives since 2019 and Apple did not yet made any workarounds or corrections with the SATA kexts - even 2019 Mac Pro has some recent drives that are not compatible.

Back to 860 QVO, the only way to use one reliably with a Mac Pro is to use it via an USB->SATA adapter. This could be also the case of 870 EVO, needs confirmation.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
It's not so simple.

While recent SATA III drives are partially incompatible with the ancient SATA II interface of Mac Pros (3V3 pin is now used to signal/control sleep to the drive, problem with almost any recent big size HDD too), there are also SATA communication protocol improvements with the current implementation that seems to make some recent SATA III drives incompatible with Apple SATA drivers itself.

Some SATA III drives have a fail-safe workaround implemented in the firmware to make it compatible to computers that still have the ancient SATA II standard, what is usually called a quirk, but now seems that no manufacturer is bothering with it anymore with recent releases. Even some Macs that had an early SATA III controller like some 2011 and 2012 MacBook Pros with the Intel 6 and 7 chipset series have problems with recent released SATA III drives.

No Mac has SATA drives since 2019 and Apple did not yet made any workarounds or corrections with the SATA kexts - even 2019 Mac Pro has some recent drives that are not compatible.

Back to 860 QVO, the only way to use one reliably with a Mac Pro is to use it via an USB->SATA adapter. This could be also the case of 870 EVO, needs confirmation.
Thanks for the thorough explanation - as usual you are really on top of things relative to our old cMPs.

Regards,
sfalatko

norda72

macrumors member
May 27, 2016
Bollnäs, Sweden
I have 860 EVO 4 TB in my Mac Pro 5.1 with the issue UDMA CRC Error Count. Can something be done about it? I have maybe asked this before. Right now the disc is formated but I can’t install anything because it hasn’t any firmware. Is it BOOT Rom 144.0.0.0.0 that is needed? How do I install it?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I have 860 EVO 4 TB in my Mac Pro 5.1 with the issue UDMA CRC Error Count. Can something be done about it?
UDMA CRC errors are cabling/connectors problems. Each time a communication error is detected, the counter increases. It's not a user resettable setting, only the manufacturer can do something about the counter. You can repair the defect and then the counter will not increase anymore.

I have maybe asked this before. Right now the disc is formated but I can’t install anything because it hasn’t any firmware.
Maybe you are talking about partitioning?!?! You don't install firmwares to a SSD, you update it when the manufacturer
releases an updated version.

Is it BOOT Rom 144.0.0.0.0 that is needed?
Not related in any way, Mac Pro BootROM is stored on a SPI flash memory located on the backplane and SATA support itself didn't change from the old MP51 series of Mac Pro EFI firmwares to 13x and 14x.0.0.0.0 versions.

How do I install it?

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I have a 870 EVO 500gb running in a 4.1>5.1 fitted to the spare DVD sata connector.

it works fine as boot drive. Im running catalina via dosdude patch.

maybe we should collect the ssd drive firmware details for comparison?

AppleGeezer

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2021
I just bought a 1TB EVO 870 last week to replace a smaller 840 Pro on my Accelsior PCIe card. Have been using it it as a boot drive with Mojave (and experimenting with OC + BS) with no issues so far....

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
Had some problems with that EVO 980 drive.

What would be the best SSD (SATA) to buy for these machines?
And what is the recommended NVME for these machines?

Thanks!

jackfp

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2021
Hi people,
I had to hard reboot ?
Be cautious !
I have had the exact same problem with Samsung 870 EVO 500GB. did not expect it.

Scrotorr

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2019
I am having a similar issue with new ADATA 750 and WD Blue 3D NAND SSD - both 2.5" 500gb. Older SATAII SSDs that I have sitting around work just fine.

jackfp

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2021
Hi people,
I had to hard reboot ?
Be cautious !
I can verify the same, installed 500GB Samsun 870 EVO into Mid 2010 13" macbook pro, had same problems as post, changed to 500GB 860 EVO and it is working great!

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
Anyone know if a Samsung 870 QVO 4TB will work as purely a storage drive?

zedex

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2018
Perth, WA
Good point - so many ways to skin the cat..

1) CLASSIC METHOD: "Clean Install" or BOOTABLE OSX INSTALLATION (createinstallmedia)
2) CLONE METHOD: Cloning a fresh OSX installation from a "personal master build" using either CCC or SuperDuper

..then, of course, Forum members reporting issues should specify whether they have used HFS+ or APFS -- so 2 pretty major disk function diagnostics/considerations missing from this thread(!)

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I would steer clear of QVO drives, even for storage.
They seem to have a lot of issues with cMP.

I know they are bit cheaper than an evo, but your data is still important, go with the tried and trusted.

Reactions: KeesMacPro

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
My experience is yes they will work for storage only duty. I ran an 860 QVO in the early days before I knew better. Used it for storage only. Never had any issues with it. I sold the QVO when I sold my 5,1 cMP. Would I do it today❓ Nope ?

Lou

Reactions: MarkC426

kings79

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
My experience is yes they will work for storage only duty. I ran an 860 QVO in the early days before I knew better. Used it for storage only. Never had any issues with it. I sold the QVO when I sold my 5,1 cMP. Would I do it today❓ Nope ?

Lou
Thanks Lou. Yeah I took the plunge and opened the packet. Seems ok.:cool: What would you do again? @flowrider

** Now onto my 870 EVO m.2 in my kryo PCIE slot. Because this is my main work drive. That is all my Pro Tools sessions run from this. I had to free up a few hundred gigs from it. Files/folders have bveen deleted but the space does not show as available.

See below the disk in question.

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 8.03.25 am.png

Shows 40 odd Gig available but when I inspect each folder they add up to around 435Gig

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 8.03.37 am.png

Ive repaired the disk with disk utility and turned Trim on.

Any one have any idea what might be causing this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.