Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
In combination with Mojave and APFS?
My 860 SSD (1TB - on a PCIe card) has been running with two containers for years - currently one has Catalina and one has Monterey (upgraded from Big Sur). I moved my Mojave off the 860 to another drive when I installed Big Sur.

8364R4

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
OK - thanks!

The questions were targeted to the following topics in particular:

- using SATA drives (860/850 EVO) with Mojave and Apple's "new" Filesystem APFS whether there are troubles expected when TRIM is enabled? I read some rumors about that... (unfortunatelly I have to use SATA SSDs as my PCIe slots are used for other cards)

- basically, if TRIM is disabled (with the above-mentioned configuration) premature failure of the drives or low performance is typically expected?

- thus, if it will be better anywey to run Mojave with HFS and TRIM enabled?

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
OK - thanks!

The questions were targeted to the following topics in particular:

- using SATA drives (860/850 EVO) with Mojave and Apple's "new" Filesystem APFS whether there are troubles expected when TRIM is enabled? I read some rumors about that... (unfortunatelly I have to use SATA SSDs as my PCIe slots are used for other cards)

- basically, if TRIM is disabled (with the above-mentioned configuration) premature failure of the drives or low performance is typically expected?

- thus, if it will be better anywey to run Mojave with HFS and TRIM enabled?
I apologize as I forgot to mention that my 860 is APFS and I have TRIM enabled. I don't pretend to understand the subtleties of TRIM being enabled or not but prefer to have it enabled.

I haven't had any issues with my 860 so I assume that TRIM being enabled with APFS on that drive is fine. I do use mine in a PCIe slot but other than speed I don't see why it would be different in one of the internal drive slots. I do have an old Crucial M4 SSD in one of my CD slots as all my internal SATA slots are taken by spinning drives.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
TRIM issues at boot time with Samsung drives formatted with APFS are more common with PCIe AHCI and NVMe drives, not with SATA ones. AFAIK, Samsung 850 and 860 series work perfectly fine with TRIM.

Reactions: MarkC426

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Been running a TRIM enabled 850 1TB (APFS) for years w/out problems, albeit in an 5,3 MBP with Catalina. The 870 2TB was a complete disaster though and I had to return the drive after exhausting all options with fault finding.

Jigga Beef

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2009
Philadelphia, Pa
BLEH got this drive on sale at Microcenter to use as a bootable clone for my 5,1. Obviously running into the same issues as everyone on here. I just reformatted the 870 QVO to be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and I am just going to run it as a backup with CCC (HOPEFULLY)

8364R4

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2022
Great news. Thanks for all those comments!

What are the specific issues you have read about...?
It's mostly about slow boot times. I found also a report of a SATA drive having this issue. But it seems to happen or not- depending the particular configuration.

There's a great article about the interaction of APFS und TRIM : Caring for SSDs: TRIM, wear levelling and APFS

I decided not to enable TRIM (on Mojave/APFS). It seems to be unlikely that issues will come up with recent SSDs, as they manage wear leveling by them self good enough and the implementation of the TRIM command under APFS/macOS is not very well known.

Regarding the "870-disappeard-after-warm-boot" issue I contacted the Samsung support and they concluded as follows: "860 EVO and 870 EVO has different controller, what shouldn't be the issue, because Samsung 870 EVO is compatible with SATA III, II and I.
Today we tested the 870 EVO on SATA for a warm boot and it works fine on our system. Unfortunately we don't have the same system as you, in which case we can't verify if the problem is with the older generation Intel Core or with the SATA connector."

Not very helpful, but thought to share it here.

If I get new findings I will post it here.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
It's mostly about slow boot times. I found also a report of a SATA drive having this issue. But it seems to happen or not- depending the particular configuration.
This doesn't really affect me, as my Mac rarely gets restarted....;)

erwinor

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2023
Old thread but ....I bought two 870evos 1T and after some testing I found out that if the 870 is the only system drive in my 5.1 I have no issues.Restart works as it should with no cold startup.My ssds have the latest firmware and are manufactured 7/2023.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Hmmm not sure what's going on but the warm boot issues are back BUT not all the time - weird....

Revisiting this for anyone else who might try the firmware update:

For the Mac Pro 5,1 - the firmware update for the 870 Evo works easily enough using the instructions provided but warm boots / restart still gives the forbidden symbol so it's not really any use. The firmware updated fine but doesn't fix the issue.

I used the Mac ISO SVT02B6Q on a 1TB SSD 870 EVO.

So probably use a different brand of SSD on the 5,1 for boot purposes.

LucMac

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2014
GERMANY
Hi!

Never heard of these problems mentioned here before.

I've owned a 5,1 until last week with one 860 Pro and one 870 Evo Samsung SSD.

The 4TB 870 Evo is my data-drive and I've installed it in my "new" Mac Pro 7,1.
The 870 Evo doesn't show up after restarts, which seems to be a known issue.

Should I just connect it via USB-adapter that came with my SONNET Fusion Flex J3i?
Is there a big difference speed-wise? (SATA vs. USB)

Second question:
The Evo is APFS fomatted. System profiler says TRIM is disabled.
Is TRIM still neccesary? Should I enable it?

x Lucas

Last edited:

LucMac

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2014
GERMANY
I've sortet out problem #1, just switched the SATA-port from 2 to 1 on motherboard.

Now the Evo 870 also shows up on reboot.

Last and important question:
TRIM issues at boot time with Samsung drives formatted with APFS are more common with PCIe AHCI and NVMe drives, not with SATA ones. AFAIK, Samsung 850 and 860 series work perfectly fine with TRIM.

Should I enable TRIM or not? I'm reading different things here and there.
It's obviously not a boot-drive, just for storage.
Would like to know it from you Alex, since you've helped me out multiple times for the last decade ;)

Thank you!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I've sortet out problem #1, just switched the SATA-port from 2 to 1 on motherboard.

Now the Evo 870 also shows up on reboot.

Last and important question:

Should I enable TRIM or not? I'm reading different things here and there.
It's obviously not a boot-drive, just for storage.
Would like to know it from you Alex, since you've helped me out multiple times for the last decade ;)

Thank you!

870 EVO is not exactly perfect with Macs and there are some reports suggesting that TRIM should be off with 870 series, but you should test and see if works for your config. If boot times suddenly become much greater, disable it.

Reactions: LucMac

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
870 EVO is not exactly perfect with Macs and there are some reports suggesting that TRIM should be off with 870 series, but you should test and see if works for your config. If boot times suddenly become much greater, disable it.
I've found that, problems with older Macs. Couple years ago tried to install a 2TB 870 EVO into a mid 2009 MBP as a secondary internal drive, even as primary internal and had all sorts issues, mainly higher memory pressure just idling. In my case think the EVO firmware just didn't support such an old Mac. That or it didn't like the Catalina patch but that SSD got returned after all the hassle but the 850 EVO in it still going strong.

Reactions: LucMac

zgagato

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2021
the 870 series have problems even in PC boxes. Low quality is another issue, they seem to just die. its better to get another brand or older samsung like 860 or older.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
the 870 series have problems even in PC boxes. Low quality is another issue, they seem to just die. its better to get another brand or older samsung like 860 or older.

For sure 870 QVOs die like flies when people use it as a non-archival disk. Can't say that is a quality issue, probably more a wrong tool for the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.