Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
^^^^I'm not sure you are correct. As far as SSDs go, I believe some Macs contain Toshiba devices. However, I do believe Samsung SSDs are the more prevalent brand.

As far as RAM is concerned, the RAM supplied by Apple in my NcMP is branded Hynix.

Lou
Yes, my original 3x1gb modules in my cMP where Hynix also.
I thought Hynix was Apple's long-standing brand.

ptfuzi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2019
^^^^I'm not sure you are correct. As far as SSDs go, I believe some Macs contain Toshiba devices. However, I do believe Samsung SSDs are the more prevalent brand.

As far as RAM is concerned, the RAM supplied by Apple in my NcMP is branded Hynix.

Lou
Yes I think older models have samsung and Toshiba, and also SanDisk with marvell controllers.

M1 uses kioxia chips (Toshiba)

jimmueller

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
NJ
Hmmm not sure what's going on but the warm boot issues are back BUT not all the time - weird....
I had hoped the SVT02B6Q firmware would have resolved the Ø on reboot issue on our new cMP 4,1>5,1, but after I had done the update last night it still has to be shut down completely before it will see the 870 EVO in bay 1.

Backstory- Our 3,1 had died several weeks ago (maybe PSU, maybe logic board, tests inconclusive) so we found a reasonably priced 5,1 (appears to be a 2010 4,1 flashed to 5,1). The 3,1 had been maxed out on El Capitan for years on a 850 EVO booting from an OWC PCIe card. I was looking forward to having a second x16 slot to get some more speed out of the SSD, but to be safe I cloned it to the 870 EVO via CCC in case things went pants. Booted fine on the card, so I got greedy and tried to update to the latest MacOS the cMP would take (Monterey) without taking the plunge into patches and open source firmware. Had to step up to High Sierra first and it failed saying the drive had no firmware partition. I had cloned over the Recovery partition so it took some google-fu to figure out why it would not install. Suggestion was do reinstall via Internet Recovery to have the partition created. That's when I found that when I did Command-R or Opt-Command-R the cMP would not make any network connections (both ethernet ports took self-assigned addresses, and the Airport said the WAP five feet away is too far away to connect to). Moved the 870 EVO to bay 1 and the cMP still would not make network connections in recovery modes but the High Sierra installer no longer complained about a missing firmware partition. This is when I encountered the Ø on reboot issue. some more fu and I found this forum among others saying had to shut down to see the 870. And that got me through the MacOS upgrading steps.
Now I'm going to move the SSD back to the OWC card and see if the Ø on reboot still happens.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Yep. Because of required firmware updates, it is recommended that you update to Mojave first through the App Store, then Catalina, then Big Sur before attempting Monterey.

Catalina
DodDude1 Catalina patch

Big Sur
Big Sur over MP 5.1

Monterey
Monterey over MP 5.1

Let us know.
Last firmware update for MacPro5,1 ever released is 144.0.0.0.0 with Mojave.

It's completely unsupported after you leave Mojave and don't matter if you jump from Mojave to Monterey.

Reactions: czs and MarkC426

jagaloon

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
NH
I came across this thread as today on my 5,1 with Mojave and a newly purchased 870 Evo in the Sata 2 backplane, the drive just disappeared. I had to reboot and it showed up again.

This is the first time I've added a ssd to the sata2 backplane to use for extra storage, while a Kingston PCIe hyperX card is my main boot / os drive.

Is there something special I'm missing to get the drive to not disconnect or is there something more to this?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
The title of the thread says it.
870 Evo drives are not FULLY compatible with cMP.
Some people have no issues, but some do.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
has anyone tested a 3,5 to 2,5 adapter with a pcb like this?
7a4f818d2a9ad259ca34145c38c4bff234511143_original.jpg

Did anyone test to disable trim?

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
What a passive adapter have to do with TRIM? Some drives have issues with TRIM, not the adapter.
I talk about the issues with the 870 Evo. Some harddrive has this warm boot problem too and i was reported disabling trimforce will help in some reasons.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I talk about the issues with the 870 Evo. Some harddrive has this warm boot problem too and i was reported disabling trimforce will help in some reasons.

Big size hard drives have a different pin-out than what the south bridge SATA ports expect, 3.3V pin, not the same problem as 870 EVOs.

TRIM issue is related to the SSD firmware doing things that macOS don't expect, sometimes lying to the controller, problem is much complex and deeper. A lot of SSDs have issues with TRIM and write cache.

Fastsavage

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
I came across this thread as today on my 5,1 with Mojave and a newly purchased 870 Evo in the Sata 2 backplane, the drive just disappeared. I had to reboot and it showed up again.

This is the first time I've added a ssd to the sata2 backplane to use for extra storage, while a Kingston PCIe hyperX card is my main boot / os drive.

Is there something special I'm missing to get the drive to not disconnect or is there something more to this?
I ended up selling my 870 Evo as it would not consistently mount on reboots.

jagaloon

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
NH
This is a first for me. Since when did hdd’s become so finicky? Used to be you could buy hardware and use it rather than spend tons of time researching if it will work or not.

Rebooting worked and brought the drive back and I’m using an adapter which has a bit of circuitry on it to make the connection but I doubt that would cause issues.

So I’d the 870 evo III are not compatible with the 5,1 cMP how about the crucial line of 500/1000 ssd drives?

Also I have not enabled trim on any drives so it’s unknown is it needs that now or not. At the time of my installing a Kingston Hyper X PCIe ssd, it was said to not enable trim.

I also do not have power settings enabled that would put the hdd’s to sleep.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
TRIM is not the issue—never was. It's built into the MacOS since 10.6.8, also Windows and UNIX. All it does is prepare the cells for new data about twice as fast as a drive's own Garbage Collection utility in the firmware. That's all it does.

Since Apple never used 2.5" SSDs, TRIM is blocked in the MacOS when one is detected. Running sudo trimforce enable in Terminal unblocks this in Yosemite 10.4 and later.

There's a lot of misinformation out there, a lot of it generated by OWC and Kingston in an effort to sell their SSDs before Apple made the change. It was interesting to see both companies walk that back but a lot of that misinformation is still parroted by the uninformed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.