Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingCachapa

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2020
Update on the transfer speed issue – so far so good. Not sure what was up TBH!

I'm making sure I activate / plug in my external drives only when the OS is loaded, and I'm being able to transfer at up to "normal" expected speeds with this setup.

It still starts telling me 5-6 days for 1TB but within some time it will update to the expected +/- 1.5 hours.

Circling back on the main topic - 870 EVO SSDs looking good so far otherwise specially when interacting with the main OS on NVME (using as active / supplemental workspace storage).

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I put an 870 EVO 2TB in the less powerful MP5,1 in my signature and it seems to be working fine. It's in drive bay 1 using the blue OWC adapter tray..

I first suspected it was to blame for Big Sur 11.6 (with 0.7.4) not installing. To disprove that I tried installing 11.6 on an old HDD but that also failed. It turned out to be just needing to do CMD OPT P R first then the install ran fine.

Pretty happy here.

That's 2 random Samsung 870 drives of different capacities that are both working fine.

Last edited:

Dt990

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2020
Oregon
I had a 2 TB 860 Evo direct plugged into my 5,1 as my Windows drive I bought in mid/late 2020, worked great. Still using it, it's my 7,1.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
Yep, 860 evo's work without issue.
The 870's are touch and go with different people.

GlynH

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
And I might just be one of those people!

I was about to start a new thread until a search turned up this one.

Genuine 2010 5,1/Dual X5690/96GB ECC RDIMM/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 in PCIe Slot 4/Apple SuperDrive in top 5.25" Bay/Quadro NVS510 running 10.13.6 High Sierra and all working as expected.

Nearly a week ago I added a 16TB EXOS in Drive Bay 1, booted and formatted to HFS+ to use exclusively as a backup destination disk. I have since run Time Machine locally and it has done half a dozen or so backups since.

It's not as quiet as I would have liked but it was cheap compared to other big spinners.

I decided to add a brand new 870 EVO SSD in the blue OWC Mount Pro into Drive Bay 2 and on booting I never saw the EFI OpenCore Boot Menu as I normally would because it went straight into Recovery Mode after a lot of seeking noises from the EXOS which seems odd as it only acts as a Time Machine Destination disk and has no OS on it.

But in the end at least I did see the 870 EVO SSD in Disk Utility so I Erased it and formatted to APFS and rebooted.

However it booted straight back to Internet Recovery Mode again.

I set the 970 NVMe drive as the System restart disk as it should have been anyway but on rebooting it again went back to Internet Recovery Mode so I powered down and removed the 870 SSD from Drive Bay 2 and switched back on.

This time it booted although I didn't get the OpenCore Boot Menu any more and it seemed to take longer than usual. I also noticed the Boot ROM version had changed from 9144.0.7.3.1 to 144.0.0.0.0 which seemed to indicate OpenCore is no longer being run at boot.

Yesterday I tried again adding the same 870 EVO SSD in the same slot and this time would you believe the machine booted into the Desktop and I was able to Erase & format it APFS with no issues.

Fantastic...or so I thought.

At some point the 870 EVO completely disappeared not only from Finder but also Disk Utility in both Desktop & Recovery Mode. Also running diskutil from a command line fails to find it.

It has to all intents and purposes just disappeared despite still being physically plugged in! At some point my system has also downloaded Install macOS Mojave which has automagically appeared in Applications.

And as I had lost my OC Boot Menu I decided to re-bless the 209.7MB EFI partition to get the OpenCore Boot Menu back again and that side of things is now back to normal and the Boot ROM version is once again back to 9144.0.7.3.1

Still no sign of the 870 EVO anywhere in software although it is still physically present in its drive bay. Might as well pull it out I suppose as its not recognised any more.

I bought 3 of these from Amazon having used many of their 850 and 860 EVO SSD in iMac, Mac Mini and MacBooks in the past with no issues and am left wondering whether to send them back if they are not going to be suitable for the cMP?

Where next I wonder? I do have a 2TB 860 EVO that was earmarked for another machine that I could try in the cMP as I am not keen on the idea of trying another 870 in case I do end up returning them to Amazon and removing its entry from my signature! ;)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Last edited:
Reactions: czs

GlynH

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
We'll...I've just changed my signature to reflect removing the 1TB EVO 870 and replacing it with the 2TB EVO 860 that I had earmarked for my iMac. Says it all really...;)

Installed, rebooted with no issues this time, went into Disk Utility, Erase & Format APFS, warm reboot, cold reboot and all looking good right off the bat.

Early days yet but have my peace of mind back!

So although I have seen where for one or two it seems to be working for them I can only speak as I find in joining the ranks of the majority as for me the 1TB EVO 870 would NOT work in an internal drive bay of my 5,1 cMP throwing various issues before doing a disappearing act but the 2TB EVO 860 installed in that same drive bay is working no problem.

Still seems odd that the earlier generation Samsung SSD such as 850/860 Series and the latest Samsung EVO 970 Plus NVMe M.2 all work and yet the middle generation 870 SSD does not?

Ah well stranger things have happened I'm sure.

Just wanted to update my findings in case some other poor soul wanders down this path in the future...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Still seems odd that the earlier generation Samsung SSD such as 850/860 Series and the latest Samsung EVO 970 Plus NVMe M.2 all work and yet the middle generation 870 SSD does not?
Just a correction, 870 is newer than the 970 series. 8 = denotes a SATA drive while the 9 equal PCIe blades.

Reactions: czs and MarkC426

GlynH

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
Ah OK...thanks for pointing that out tsialex.

I had assumed (incorrectly it appears) that the higher number denoted a newer device.

That'll teach me for going with logic above research! ;)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ah OK...thanks for pointing that out tsialex.

I had assumed (incorrectly it appears) that the higher number denoted a newer device.

That'll teach me for going with logic above research! ;)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Both SATA (870 series) and PCIe (980 series) current lines from Samsung have issues with MacPros, with the current firmwares.

Back in 2019 when the 970EVO+ firmware problems were reported, Samsung solved it relatively fast since it was completely incompatible with macOS. I'm not so sure that Samsung is gonna act the same way again, QVO drives are incompatible for years and no improvements whatsoever.

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Both SATA (870 series) and PCIe (980 series) current lines from Samsung have issues with MacPros, with the current firmwares.

Back in 2019 when the 970EVO+ firmware problems were reported, Samsung solved it relatively fast since it was completely incompatible with macOS. I'm not so sure that Samsung is gonna act the same way again, QVO drives are incompatible for years and no improvements whatsoever.
I found new firmwares for the Samsung 860 and 870 SATA SSDs on the Samsung Website, but I haven't installed them yet.

I had problem with a 2TB Samsung 870 EVO which caused a KP and restart on wake from sleep. I was using Dosdude patcher for Catalina. Since upgrading to Opencore and Monterey the KPs have stopped and the drive is rock solid.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I found new firmwares for the Samsung 860 and 870 SATA SSDs on the Samsung Website, but I haven't installed them yet.

I had problem with a 2TB Samsung 870 EVO which caused a KP and restart on wake from sleep. I was using Dosdude patcher for Catalina. Since upgrading to Opencore and Monterey the KPs have stopped and the drive is rock solid.
Where you are connecting the Samsung 870 EVO? MacPro own SATA ports (southbridge)?

People seems more lucky with the 870 series when connecting to a SATA3 PCIe card.

krakman

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Where you are connecting the Samsung 870 EVO? MacPro own SATA ports (southbridge)?

People seems more lucky with the 870 series when connecting to a SATA3 PCIe card.
I'm using the dvd drive connectors. I have a 2TB 870 EVO and a 1TB 840 EVO. The KP on sleep started when I added the 2TB SSD.

Since last week, when I installed OC and Monterey, it is rock solid. I wonder if the original problem was to do with Dosdude Catalina Patcher. The panic report always referred to USB driver error.

Reactions: tsialex

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

I think it's the firmware of those 870 Evo drives which is the issue. Earlier firmware gives troubles - but the current firmware is okay.

In my two 5,1s the Samsung drives are both connected to the normal drive bays in the mac pro using the OWC blue coloured tray. They work fine.

I also don't have any patchers or similar, just the standard Mac OS Monterey 12.1 with Martin Lo's 0.7.5 package. The only deviation from standard on that is enabling thunderbolt since I have Titan Ridge 2 thunderbolt cards on both 5,1s.

GlynH

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
Could well be and I did take a look on the Samsung website and saw firmware SVT02B6Q but there was no date against it so I don't know when this was made available nor was is it supposed to fix. :confused:

It never stayed around long enough in my system for me to get the firmware revision from it either! :oops:

I'm running 10.13.6 High Sierra here on a cMP that is pretty close to standard but it is running OpenCore if that might make a difference?

What I do know is I had three brand new 1TB 870 EVO's delivered 7 days ago and the one I opened, fitted to the OWC Mount Pro (blue tray as like you I wanted to do the job properly) and fitted into Drive Bay 2 (as I have a 16TB EXOS in Drive Bay 1) gave me a few different problems on two separate installs before disappearing from view altogether never to be seen again.

A quick search here led me to this and a few other threads where people had also experienced issues.

On contacting a used Mac Pro reseller they advised;

In regards to 870 EVO, I did some digging! It does not work in mac pro! You would have to get 850 EVO Glyn and it works like a charm.

Ah, that's not good, for some reason they have different firmware and do not work! Samsung broke it!

Should I have tried to update the firmware (which seems like it might need Samsung Magician which looks to be PC only) on that drive risking either it still not working as Samsung don't seem to have acknowledged an issue or bricking it completely?

Well I decided not to and as the older 2TB 860 EVO I installed in its place is working flawlessly I think I might return all three 870's, exchange to for a 2TB 860 EVO and pocket the change! ;)

I'm pleased it works for you and long may it continue but my peace of mind is shot and when that a happens I might as well knock it on the head and move on.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Reactions: czs

Fastsavage

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
I have recently fitted a 2T 870 Evo in my Mac Pro 4,1 running Opencore and Montery.
Seems to work great BUT doesn't mount on a reboot. Need to do a shut down and restart to get it to mount.

I have tried it in 3 drive bays and it makes no difference.....
The revision is SVT01B6Q - there is a newer version SVT02B6Q so I might try that and report back.

****** UPDATE *****

So updated the firmware to SVT02B6Q. Not sure of the release date but might be 24 November 2021
Relatively straightforward process using Samsungs Instructions and UNetbootin

And what do you know? issue solved !!:)

===== UPDATE AGAIN =====

Hmmm not sure what's going on but the warm boot issues are back BUT not all the time - weird....

Last edited:

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
I have recently fitted a 2T 870 Evo in my Mac Pro 4,1 running Opencore and Montery.
Seems to work great BUT doesn't mount on a reboot. Need to do a shut down and restart to get it to mount.

I have tried it in 3 drive bays and it makes no difference.....
The revision is SVT01B6Q - there is a newer version SVT02B6Q so I might try that and report back.

****** UPDATE *****

So updated the firmware to SVT02B6Q. Not sure of the release date but might be 24 November 2021
Relatively straightforward process using Samsungs Instructions and UNetbootin

And what do you know? issue solved !!:)
Amazing when that happens, yes?

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
I would stay away from any samsung blade or sata drive. They don't seem to understand that apple is a real company or maybe because of how badly they get beat up over cell phones made by apple.
try crucial instead. I've had some samsung drives work reliably and some that are trash.

• Haha
Reactions: mikehalloran

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Hmm - I have ten SSDs in my 7,1 NcMP. Six are M.2 blades - all are Samsung. Three are 2.5" and are Samsung. I have a feeling the OEM drive is also a Samsung. I only use Samsung SSDs. History tells me I'm right.

Lou

Fastsavage

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
My M.2 genuine apple blade out of a damaged MacBook Pro is a Samsung

IMG_4550.jpeg

Reactions: KeesMacPro

ptfuzi

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2019
I would stay away from any samsung blade or sata drive. They don't seem to understand that apple is a real company or maybe because of how badly they get beat up over cell phones made by apple.
try crucial instead. I've had some samsung drives work reliably and some that are trash.
What? Samsung provides Apple with many parts.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
I have 6 Samsung SSD's in my cMP.
My boot drive has been running for over 7 years with zero problems.
I will only buy Samsung SSD's.

A cMP is 10+ years old, so you need to use the compatible ssd's.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeesMacPro

GlynH

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
I wish I had seen this before I installed a 1TB 850 EVO in my iMac way back in 2015 that has been working fine ever since outliving the original 1TB Seagate spinner by many years.

I've since fitted a 2TB 860 EVO in the second bay of the same machine that has also been working perfectly.

In addition I fitted a 1TB 850 EVO in both my 2012 MacBook Pro 13" & 15" along with 2 x 1TB Samsung 850 EVO in my 2012 Mac Mini, 2TB 860 EVO and 970 Pro in my 2010 Mac Pro.

Even my HP Spectre X360 15" has a 1TB MZVLB1T0HALR-000H1 whatever that is and has also performed flawlessly since purchased back in 2018

That's 9 Samsung drives fitted that have not given me any trouble whatsoever and I originally chose Samsung on the strength of many positive reviews and because Apple also use Samsung manufactured SSD's as OEM.

Should I be worried? :confused:;)

I realise we can only speak as we find but apart from the 870 EVO SSD issue that I mentioned earlier in this thread (that could probably be resolved by updating firmware) that's a pretty impressive record and certainly won't stop me buying Samsung SSD's in the future.

In fact I am awaiting delivery of another 970 Pro for the Mac Pro as I type this...

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Last edited:

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Then do not buy any Apple product with an SSD. Samsung has been the sole manufacturer since 2015.

Now IF you'd been paying attention, you'd know that a firmware upgrade solved the problem. But nooooooooo

Micron has been supplying Apple's RAM for many years now (except for Apple Silicon). Crucial is Micron's retail division.

Reactions: MarkC426

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^I'm not sure you are correct. As far as SSDs go, I believe some Macs contain Toshiba devices. However, I do believe Samsung SSDs are the more prevalent brand.

As far as RAM is concerned, the RAM supplied by Apple in my NcMP is branded Hynix.

Lou

Reactions: MarkC426
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.