Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewiccaman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
East Midlands, UK
Hi, hoping someone can help (and sorry if in the wrong forum) - Apple can't resolve this at all. I'm not technical and this is frustrating me to the point I am hating my iPhone at the moment.

And sorry if this is a bit long - I'll try & be brief.

In Dec, an issue arose on my 8+ when suddenly certain apps - examples of the ones that I know were problematic are NatWest Bank, Starling Bank, Readly, Sygic satnav, would freeze on opening and sometimes crash back to the home screen. The App store app too would show apps to update/download but they would be stuck on 'waiting' .Other Apps seemed unaffected - both Apple & 3rd party

Also, there would be a spinning gear wheel next to wifi on the status bar.

--> The only resolution was to force restart and issue went away for a while then came back.

I chatted with Apple 3 times on this:

1. got me to reset phone on handset
2. got me to reset phone via iTunes then restore from iCloud backup
3. Lastly got me to set phone up 'as new' and ignore last icloud backup

Was ok for a couple of weeks and started again! I managed to get the phone swapped under warranty but today it started again!! So new phone, new iCloud backup.

Speaking to a programmer friend, he thinks it may be a certificate issue? Or a wifi assist issue - now off, or a carrier issue (ee in the UK)

Currently, on his advice, mobile data is off and using wifi connection only to see if it is a 4G/mobile issue. He suggested if it is, request a new sim.

Any light that anyone may be able to shed on this would be gratefully received.

(I can provide a crash log from when one of the Apps crashed in the way I've described)

Thanks,
David

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
You phone doesn't seem to be working as intended and I would request a replacement. However, it's not nice to call your phone names. If anything your phone has special needs.

thewiccaman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
East Midlands, UK
You phone doesn't seem to be working as intended and I would request a replacement. However, it's not nice to call your phone names. If anything your phone has special needs.
Ha! Yes, it is special. In fact, this is a replacement under warranty - 2 weeks ago! So issue has carried over. I have an appt on Saturday at a genius bar to actually speak to someone in person & try & get a resolution.

thewiccaman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
East Midlands, UK
Did this get resolved? Or was it a conflicting setting?
Yes it did, touch wood, under my own steam so to speak.

My phone behaved impeccably for Apple of course but Sunday morning, crashing/restarting/instantly crashing. So I erased it and set it up as a completely new phone with no restore from backup and 'rebuilt' it and so far, so good ...

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
I am leaning toward an app that is having issues.

Have you tried a lengthy process of a clean install?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.