Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Guam, Mariana Islands, U.S.A.
In visiting the official Apple Support forums, as well as a number of other Apple related forums -- such as this one -- it becomes rather apparent that at the very least, for years now, thousands of users have been asking Apple to give them the ability to change the Dock background color, as well as the color of the Dock indicator lights.

Personally, I do not understand why Apple has been so slow to implement such a basic and much-asked-for feature.

If Apple can give us the option to change the desktop background image, or to even use a solid color for our desktop background if we so desire, what is so difficult about adding similar features to the Dock prefs pane? Surely it is not a difficult coding feat.

Over the years, I have used a variety of apps and haxies to alter my Dock, the last one being cDock. However, as we all know, using third party apps and haxies, or altering system files manually ourselves, can lead to slowness and instability in our systems. This is particularly so when one uses a number of different third party apps and haxies on their machine. You just never know how well they may play with each other, or with your system.

Personally, as I have mentioned before, I recently discovered that by removing Windowmizer, Bartender and cDock from my system, my machine runs a lot more smoothly and quickly . . . and I paid for the first two.

But the point is, none of us would be forced to resort to such third party apps and haxies, if Apple would just be a little more flexible, by showing us a small measure of kindness and consideration for the years that we have all been dedicated Apple product users, by adding the ability to change the Dock background color, as well as the color of the indicator lights.

Even if Apple does someday implement these features, unless they make them backwards compatible with previous OSes -- such as El Capitan, which I am using again -- I suppose I won't be able to take advantage of them.

Anyway, I just felt the need to vent my frustration regarding Apple's refusal to implement such basic features.

What do you think?

Reactions: jbarley

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
This does not concern me. Not sure if you have data for the "thousands" claim, but I'd be interested to know percentages. My bet is that you are one of very few, in those terms.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If Apple won't even include a single drop down menu or checkbox to change the behavior of the green button back to what it had been for over a decade, the chances of something like this becoming a reality are very, very slim.

I can't imagine cDock slowing down your performance noticeably though.

RumorzGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Guam, Mariana Islands, U.S.A.
If Apple won't even include a single drop down menu or checkbox to change the behavior of the green button back to what it had been for over a decade, the chances of something like this becoming a reality are very, very slim.

I can't imagine cDock slowing down your performance noticeably though.

Agreed. I know that it is probably wishful thinking to expect such from Apple.

To clarify, I was not suggesting that by itself, cDock is slowing down my system. Rather, I think the combination of simultaneously using several different third party apps -- all of which directly manipulate the GUI in some way -- contributed to slowing down my system.

eco7777

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2012
This does not concern me. Not sure if you have data for the "thousands" claim, but I'd be interested to know percentages. My bet is that you are one of very few, in those terms.
I am another one of the few.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.