Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
Okay, not so bad, but still... in your screenshot, there looks to be clearly some space to the left of the video where the video could fill the space while maintaining a rectangular shape. For the iPhone X to not take advantage of that seems kinda silly to me...

In first pic 2 big black bars looks like watching video on 7 plus, 2nd pic is much better but still.....

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I want to see hands on video showing what this looks like. I don't want to see no mockups.
Try this one at ~00:50 in...

Although, the side bars look thinner, which makes me think it's not in original aspect ratio?

Photos are also rendered fine in both landscape and portrait (no notch):

YhU03Xb.jpg

[doublepost=1505253596][/doublepost]Its the home indicator at the bottom, it looks terrible (wish you could turn this off as its on all of the time in apps and web browsing but not when viewing full screen content):

4EzrfSd.png
Re: Home Screen 'stripe'....I think it's meant to blend in, chameleon-like, depending on the background. I understand you're not focussing on that. I'm just pointing it out. :D

Reactions: Starfyre

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
My hope is that there will be an option for 'right justified' use. So in landscape mode it fills all the way to the bottom, and all the way to the start of the notch, blacking out the ears.

I don’t want the notch to intrude into my video, but I also don’t see the point in forcing a symmetrical view with an artificial right bezel.
[doublepost=1505649364][/doublepost]
the notch doesn't really bother me, the home indicator at the bottom when you are browsing the internet or using an app really get to me....
[doublepost=1505253182][/doublepost]
See my screenshot above for how the videos are rendered

I hope after a few Os updates they’ll let us optionally turn that off. If you swipe up from off the bottom of the screen you don’t need that wasted space.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Try this one at ~00:50 in...

Although, the side bars look thinner, which makes me think it's not in original aspect ratio?

Re: Home Screen 'stripe'....I think it's meant to blend in, chameleon-like, depending on the background. I understand you're not focussing on that. I'm just pointing it out. :D

Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted to see. It doesn't look bad. I know the Samsung S8 Plus has a weird aspect ratio, but the iPhone X does have higher resolution.. not sure if it is not in original aspect ratio or not. I like how the video takes advantage of the rectangular screen shape where possible, which is bigger than what iPhone 8 has.

The question is, whether the S8 or iPhone X shows more or less width total for the bezels+black space if you measure from edge of phone to video content from both sides of the phone and add them up.

ShawnMccall

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2017
100% agree with you. This is the reason I will not buy the X.
A simple settings option to restrict apps to a rectangle without going into the 'ears' and I would buy it without hesitation.

I was the same way but I finally broke down and bought one and let me say I’m so very happy I did. I loved my 8 plus but to me it was the same phone I had since the 6 plus. I actually like the notch and video play back is not a issue. I haven’t been this happy with a apple device since the 6 plus and I really think you should give it a go.

Reactions: Ralfi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.