Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I have a brand new Iphone 13 Pro. Got it about a month after they came out. The phone has never charged 100 % ever. 98 most of the time and a few times it went to 99. Different chargers give different results. The Belkin Boost up goes to 98%. The Iphone 11 Pro brick and my new cable goes to 99%. Not sure why it does this. Not even hardly 2 months old and battery health is 98. Any Ideas?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Discharge it all the way until it shuts itself down. Then charge it overnight, plugged in overnight.
That might help it wake up.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
I would ask Apple… this is not normal behavior .
Modern batteries don’t need any calibration (to fully discharge them you are making just more damage), and your battery should show 100% even when its health will be low. It will last less, but when fully charged, it has to show 100%.
Especially if you are using original charger and cable.

Reactions: Taz Mangus

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
I encountered this once or twice with iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone X. Just simply use your iPhone until the battery fully drain to 0% and shut down. Recharge it to 100% without using it. This is an old school method and worked for me. Since then the iPhone was always charged to 100%.

It is only a matter of display. When the battery is charged and stands at 99%, just restart the iPhone and you'll see 100%. The calibration method above just helps the iPhone correctly read the stats.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Tried those things and nothing changed. The battery life reads 98%. I do not ever remember since new ever charging to 100%. It may have just do not remember. Going today to Apple to see what they say. I did try to do online chat where they can see the diagnostics and an error came up so they could not help. I do not have an appointment the store does not show any ever. Hopefully I will not be there all day.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Went to Apple and was in and out in about an hour. The GB tech tested it and did a restore on it saying probably a hardware issue. So will see if this fixes phone to where it will charge to 100%.

Reactions: now i see it

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Got up this morning still only charge to 98%. As of now I think my hands are tied because they did all the tests and it tested fine. I have until October 19 to take it in if the battery keeps degrading like it is close to 80%.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Got up this morning still only charge to 98%. As of now I think my hands are tied because they did all the tests and it tested fine. I have until October 19 to take it in if the battery keeps degrading like it is close to 80%.
They did all the test except the only one that counts: just check the battery indicator.
If it doesn’t reach 100% on a new device, it doesn’t work as intended and has to be replaced.

• Haha
Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
They did all the test except the only one that counts: just check the battery indicator.
If it doesn’t reach 100% on a new device, it doesn’t work as intended and has to be replaced.
Do they have a test for that? They are not going to take my word for it.. I just want it to charge to 100%.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Do they have a test for that? They are not going to take my word for it.. I just want it to charge to 100%.
Use the application CocnutBattery on a Mac computer. See what it reports for design capacity and full charge capacity. It will also tell you the true battery health percentage.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Talked to Apple tech on the phone about a month ago .. same thing everything seems fine to them. He said since I have contacted them twice about this issue, they have all the this documented so everntually I AM gonna get a new replacement 13 Pro. It has only charged to 100% 3 times since new. Now only charges to 96%.

Last edited:

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Had chat today. Apple senior manager is calling back tomorrow. Turned off optimize battery performance. He needs to prove that there is a problem with the battery.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
He called back and saw what i have been talking about the whole time I have owned the phone. So now in a waiting period to hear back on how to resolve my issue. Hopefully can just get a replacement with BN battery.

Reactions: Growlernz

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Still getting data from me. Does not look like they will replace phone they say probably a software issue. Not sure how they would be able to fix it.

reggavegga

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Did the latest update it may have fixed the issue. I got up this morning and it did charge to 100%. Will see if it charges to 100 in the next few days. I didn't hear anything back for a while and placed a voicemail on the apple website. I got a call the next day voicing concern and asking me to update to 16.1.1 .

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
It’s definitely a hardware issue

Good news is that it’s now time for a brand new battery or brand new iPhone replacement

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.