Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
China doesn’t care about privacy. This is purely political.

Their state spies and censors but they don’t want private companies collecting data on citizens because that data can be taken by a foreign country to spy on them.

That is how western social media platforms collected data and sold it to criminals and political operatives. The west is still allowing this crooked activity because our prostitute politicians take money from lobbies and donors.

In China they have weaker lobbying and they learn from western mistakes so they can reach their long term goals of stable growth. If they had a Zuckerberg or Dorsey screwing their society those two people would have been jailed long time ago.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Why? Apple has done nothing to suggest it will ever put principles before profits, especially when it comes to the Chinese market in particular.
it appears that as far as your are concerned, there is no problem with drumming up unfounded allegations against Apple on MR with this particular story, and then adjudicating them as guilty here on MR. I don’t subscribe to that kind of process. It isn’t logical or right.

Reactions: One2Grift and I7guy

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Interesting dilemma for a Chinese citizen: buy a new iPhone and lose access to Didi or keep the old iPhone to continue using Didi.

Apple got screwed on its $1 billion investment.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
Umm. You did see that it's "App Stores" - ie - Google will have to remove the app from their store in China as well.
Google's app store is not available in China.

There is a lot to criticize about Google's ethics and business model, but the way Apple kowtows to the Chinese regime is a disgrace to image the company tries to cultivate in the West.

Reactions: DanTSX

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Why does this headline claim they told Apple to remove it while quotes and other sites say China told Didi to request removal because of the privacy violation of the new owners.

Reactions: tongxinshe

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
China's CCP considers itself the only ones who are allowed to collect information on it's citizens and thus make it compulsory for any firm in China to give the CCP access to it's customer databases. Any company that defies this will be delt with. I therefore have no doubt the regulators are going after companies who do not allow the CCP direct access to their customer database.

It is illogical that they would get this far before this was discovered by the regulators. Fanciful even.

I would think it much more likely that this is a ‘repatriation of data’ issue - much like the Tiktok ban threat from the Trump Administration. The collection of data wasn’t an issue (see: existence of Facebook) it was just giving China access that was a problem for them. Well guess what? China has similar rules and views, and enforces them. Tesla has already had to isolate Chinese data in China and not send any of it to America in order to be allowed to continue operations in China.

ccsicecoke

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
With all due respect, Trump would push the button for WW3 instead of punishing China and CCP. Regardless of how ruthless CCP is, Trump prolly will destroy USA in the process, If 6 Jan 2021 is any indication.
You are in the WW3, ever since CCP delivered COVID-19 to us.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Oh, the Chinese Government is worried about an App that misuses user data, that's the all-seeing eye of the CCP being a hypocrite! Am I surprised, nope

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Interesting dilemma for a Chinese citizen: buy a new iPhone and lose access to Didi or keep the old iPhone to continue using Didi.

Apple got screwed on its $1 billion investment.
$1b to apple is a grain of sand on a beach. Now a billion here and a billion there do start to add up to real money. /s

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
Apple should just say NO. They have power and say to make a huge impact. Sounds like to me another case of the CCP throwing a foreign company under the bus to maximize their own home market. Quit catering to a country that doesn’t want your business, they just want your IP

• Haha
Reactions: freedomlinux

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple should just say NO. They have power and say to make a huge impact. Sounds like to me another case of the CCP throwing a foreign company under the bus to maximize their own home market. Quit catering to a country that doesn’t want your business, they just want your IP
Except, Didi Chuxing is an app owned by a Chinese company that has established link with CCP.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
It's a matter of national security. After Didi's IPO on Wall Street two days ago, the government just wants to secure data sovereignty against an increasingly assertive United States on the war path with China, since ride-hailing companies amass tons of big data (personal details, micro geography etc.) that can be weaponized against the country, for instance more insane claims of HR violations against minorities.

Didi will comply, and so will Pingguo. It will all be settled in a while.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004

Apple has been informed by China's cyberspace regulator that it must remove the Didi Chuxing ride hailing app from the Chinese App Store following concerns about the Uber rival's possible misuse of personal data.
Uber is not a rival in China. Uber is not even in the game anymore in China. And if Uber isn't careful they might have the same result in Japan. Uber was first, but Didi is (almost) as popular now even though Uber had a massive head-start in Japan. I use Uber for food and Didi for taxis and I suspect this is how it's generally playing out now in Japan. Uber is super popular for food delivery and Didi is for taxis. Additionally, the Didi navigation system seems to be better than Uber's and that's a big deal in a place like Japan.

Last edited:
Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Apple has been informed by China's cyberspace regulator that it must remove the Didi Chuxing ride hailing app from the Chinese App Store following concerns about the Uber rival's possible misuse of personal data.
Key words: “Uber rival”
How is DiDi an Uber rival when Uber no longer operates a ride hailing service in China market which is the country from which Apple was told to remove the app from?

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
On the other hand, “Didi” is actually controlled by Tencent so….
How does Tencent control DiDi when they only own 6.8% of shares, and the CEO, President, and Vice President of DiDi have 52% of total voting power?

DiDi's leadership team CEO Will Wei Cheng, President Jean Qing Liu, and Senior Vice President Stephen Jingshi Zhu cumulatively hold just under 10% of Class B ordinary shares and 52% of total voting power. DiDi's Class B shareholders will be entitled to 10 votes per share. SoftBank and Uber were two of its largest shareholders at the time of its IPO, holding 21.5% and 12.8%, respectively, as well as Tencent with 6.8%. Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and J.P. Morgan led the IPO as underwriters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.