Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raull1

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
wow, this thread went the wrong way very quickly. I just ordered mine yesterday. The point of these threads is to discuss the product. I don't earn much money, so even when I'm spending $40 on a case, it's money I want to have it be well spent.

It's funny, I purchased the chinao case, but that was after looking at every corner of the internet for every other case available, for pictures, reviews, anything I could find. I wasn't even a member of this forum, but out of all the ipad related ones, it had the most information. I probably scanned through over 60 pages of threads here in about 5 hours. for one case!!!

I see that the discussion has turned into something else.

From my brief stay here, I was able to get to kevikev's store because of his posts, but more because other users showed that they had dealt with him and he had given them the product. I also saw that this "bilcook" user, is advertising an ebay store that he links more than once on the posts I browsed through. I would have bought from him because he was mentioning himself in recent posts, but i reade through older ones and found the other guys store which was cheaper, and in the us, where I reside.!

can y'all talk about your impressions of the case! and forget the rest? for all my research, the best deals for what I was looking for were the yobaoo case, i liked this one because it was all the good things of the apple case without the bad ones!

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
The bottom line is that NOT all people...if any...who have tried out a number of cases, and offered opinions, are "shills" or "receiving perks."

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, and, if, for example, I prefer my Yoobao Magic Case, then it is based on experience, pure and simple.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
I recieved mine today. While not perfect I like it and this will certainly do me for now. Some points:

The good:

- It seems to be well made, of good leather effect material and it doesnt have the fake leather smell.
- Its pretty much like the iPad case but doesnt pick up dust like a vacuum cleaner.
- Its nice and thin and the edges dont feel as sharp.
- Its a good case for the price and superior in most ways to the apple stand.
- Its very stable when stood upright in landscape mode.

The not so good:

- While typing mode raises it to a good angle there is more "Sag" than with the apple case. Its still at an angle but it doesnt feel as high as the apple case. Its not like the first gen Piel Framas though - its still useable.
- The lovely soft interior does pick up some dust which is a shame because its main selling point is that its not that apple made dust magnet. Not sure why the interior couldn't be the same material as the outside, especially as when in the stand mode the fabric is on the outside and can pick up dust off the table. Maybe when the maker does a real leather version this could be considered. It is worth pointing out though that, while it does pick up dust it doesnt seem to make it out of thin air like the apple case which is good.
- The holes. However they aren't really noticeable after a while and dont bother me and I understand future production will not have these.
- I am not sure if the front cover could be slightly wider. As I no longer have the apple case I cant compare but I think more of the back of the case is visible.
- The front logo. I dont like it much but as its the same colour as the case its not a killer issue. Ideally I would prefer no logo though or some sort of arty obscure symbol.

The pointless:

- The bag accessory that comes with it. Not sure if its useful, especially if it impacts on the price.

Overall:

I like it with reservations. The apple case design is a great one and needed improving on. This has done that. I still think that more improvements can be made but for the price its good value. Ultimately Im thinking of blowing my cash on a Vaga Agenda 2 but this will tide me over. If the rumoured real leather version addresses the negative points though I would be tempted to get it.

Excellent, objective, and balanced review. Thanks for that.

Its always nice to see a newbie bringing real value to the forum. Don't know why some of the oldies are engaged in childish squabbles unrelated to the thread!

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
Can someone with the case please tell me whether the rim that goes around the iPad is rigid? I tried out my friend's Apple case yesterday, and the part covering the iPad's bezel had something reinforcing it. I think as long as this part isn't just some floppy material and atleast has a little bit of rigidness, I'll go ahead and buy this. And if anyone with the case could be kind enough, can you please show us a picture of the home button to show how much it gets covered by the case? If it covers the button no more than the Apple case, I'll be able to put up with it, but any more and it'll be a deal breaker. Thanks!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
^ Is is not floppy at all. Just like the Apple iPad Case.

Man I got a headache from this thread lol. I reviewed it (can be found via Google). I know that a lot of members here told the guy that they want this case made from real leather, so guess what the guy did? He went and ordered a few real leather cases and he said he will have them up by Monday. I guess the price will be up as well.

iTouch.lover22

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009

Man I got a headache from this thread lol. I reviewed it (can be found via Google). I know that a lot of members here told the guy that they want this case made from real leather, so guess what the guy did? He went and ordered a few real leather cases and he said he will have them up by Monday. I guess the price will be up as well.

Ok thanks. I'll most likely buy the case sometime within the next week, unless I find anything else that appeals as much as this one. I'd love a real leather one, but can't really afford it right now :p

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010

Interesting.

Are you planning to review the leather version too?

I'm hoping it addressed all the feedback I gave him since I was one of those who expressed interest in a premium leather case. The other elements of the request were no logo, no dirt magnet interior material, no holes, and stable in the horizontal upright position.

billbusy

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
Really nice review.

Just got one from ebay.

I recieved mine today. While not perfect I like it and this will certainly do me for now. Some points:

The good:

- It seems to be well made, of good leather effect material and it doesnt have the fake leather smell.
- Its pretty much like the iPad case but doesnt pick up dust like a vacuum cleaner.
- Its nice and thin and the edges dont feel as sharp.
- Its a good case for the price and superior in most ways to the apple stand.
- Its very stable when stood upright in landscape mode.

The not so good:

- While typing mode raises it to a good angle there is more "Sag" than with the apple case. Its still at an angle but it doesnt feel as high as the apple case. Its not like the first gen Piel Framas though - its still useable.
- The lovely soft interior does pick up some dust which is a shame because its main selling point is that its not that apple made dust magnet. Not sure why the interior couldn't be the same material as the outside, especially as when in the stand mode the fabric is on the outside and can pick up dust off the table. Maybe when the maker does a real leather version this could be considered. It is worth pointing out though that, while it does pick up dust it doesnt seem to make it out of thin air like the apple case which is good.
- The holes. However they aren't really noticeable after a while and dont bother me and I understand future production will not have these.
- I am not sure if the front cover could be slightly wider. As I no longer have the apple case I cant compare but I think more of the back of the case is visible.
- The front logo. I dont like it much but as its the same colour as the case its not a killer issue. Ideally I would prefer no logo though or some sort of arty obscure symbol.

The pointless:

- The bag accessory that comes with it. Not sure if its useful, especially if it impacts on the price.

Overall:

I like it with reservations. The apple case design is a great one and needed improving on. This has done that. I still think that more improvements can be made but for the price its good value. Ultimately Im thinking of blowing my cash on a Vaga Agenda 2 but this will tide me over. If the rumoured real leather version addresses the negative points though I would be tempted to get it.

Darth Maniac

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
Interesting.

Are you planning to review the leather version too?

I'm hoping it addressed all the feedback I gave him since I was one of those who expressed interest in a premium leather case. The other elements of the request were no logo, no dirt magnet interior material, no holes, and stable in the horizontal upright position.

Yeah - further to my original review at the beginning of the thread, the interior material really does collect dirt. Still less than the Apple case but its a real bummer. Just make the case out of a nice soft leather - Inside and out!!

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
I'm interested in this case. At first I assumed pu leather was real leather with some coating, then I read that it wasn't leather at all. Now my wife tells me that one of our childrens toys is made with PU leather and is very good quality and durable. I've also read comments be some people with real leather cases where the leather has stretched and the iPad has become loose. I starting to look on the pu leather as being and advantage.

Just a shame postage to the UK is so expensive, not sure why it's so much more than the yoobao for posting to the UK...

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Hey hey Kev is back!

I think people are being a little harsh--I would gladly buy one of the Chinao cases but delivery to the UK costs more than the case itself. If he does manage to get the same design (without the weird holes perhaps) but made in leather then I would definitely pay the cost and the delivery to the UK. I really can't understand why no case manufacturer has released such a case:
1) same folding front-cover design as the Apple case (NOT the "Magic" design of the latest Yoobao)
2) protects the edges and the corners of the ipad when the case is closed (unlike the Yoobao Magic and Slim, which protect the corners but leave the edges exposed)
3) made from leather
How hard can it be?

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
MartyrKevikev,

You continue to suck as a salesman. LOL!

-A

Definitely NOT true. I have purchased three cases from him...I do not know him, nor have I ever met him personally...His service was TOP-NOTCH. He shipped the items quickly, communicated well, was responsive...What more could you want from a seller? He's also VERY honest, too. When the price of one of the cases went down right after I purchased, he, without asking, refunded the difference.

I have dealt with MANY Ebay sellers over the years. He is definitely at the top of my recommendation list. Why is everybody so harsh on him?

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Yoobao and Chinao are what I call cheapo brands. I would rather have generic than have Chinao written on the case. It's only good to have a brand name printed on something if it stands for quality - like Apple.

I bought the Chinao case for $28. For that price it's pretty good. But I will chuck it in the bin once the Powersupport Premium Leather Folio is out.

stringbeanie

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Southern California
Definitely NOT true. I have purchased three cases from him...I do not know him, nor have I ever met him personally...His service was TOP-NOTCH. He shipped the items quickly, communicated well, was responsive...What more could you want from a seller? He's also VERY honest, too. When the price of one of the cases went down right after I purchased, he, without asking, refunded the difference.

I have dealt with MANY Ebay sellers over the years. He is definitely at the top of my recommendation list. Why is everybody so harsh on him?

I second all the above. Kevikev has sold me 2 cases with excellent service and the quality of the cases were excellent. Same day shipping and great communication! I even purchased a case before I was getting ready to go on an extended trip. I received notice that it would possibly arrive after I left and he was kind enough to refund my money and left me a decent feedback to boot. Find another understanding eBay seller who will treat you that well! Thanks Kevikev for having awesome cases at decent prices and excellent customer service.
BTW, I also have never met Kevikev, nor do I owe him anything. I am just a satisfied repeat customer.

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
Wish I could contact kevikev

Ordered a magic case from him and since I refuse to sign up for ebay I can't message him. My magic case is faulty. The material where the case locks under that little flap has been peeling slowly. It's almost half way off and leaves residue on the side of my iPad and makes it harder to close with the loose fabric. Great case and great seller just wish there was a way to contact him and get an exchange or refund.

batman75

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Ordered a magic case from him and since I refuse to sign up for ebay I can't message him. My magic case is faulty. The material where the case locks under that little flap has been peeling slowly. It's almost half way off and leaves residue on the side of my iPad and makes it harder to close with the loose fabric. Great case and great seller just wish there was a way to contact him and get an exchange or refund.

If you won't sign up for ebay what do you expect. The rest of us have embraced the internet commerce age.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008

How the hell did you order from him and you don't have his email address? I bet he would fix your issue though.

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Im thinking of buying one of these shortly and i was looking at the ebay page where it says "MacForum Menbers please note your request in notes at check out, you should know what that is..." - what does this mean?

Can someone explain the options available and save me the time of going through all the posts to find out what he is referring too?

Thanks.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
I really can't understand why no case manufacturer has released such a case:

1) same folding front-cover design as the Apple case (NOT the "Magic" design of the latest Yoobao)

2) protects the edges and the corners of the ipad when the case is closed (unlike the Yoobao Magic and Slim, which protect the corners but leave the edges exposed)

3) made from leather

How hard can it be?

Impossible, apparently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.