Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
So I got an email, stating, that the new Chromium based Edge is now available as an insider preview. As anyone taken the plunge and tried the beta version?

I'm usually hesitant to install any insider versions from MS, though I never had a bad a experience when I did that. I'm just more conservative.

I'm ambivalent towards Edge, I do use it on occasion but I'm mostly a Chrome user at this point.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Works like it's supposed to. Few small bugs, haven't tested it out myself, just read about it. It's based on Chrome, so it will work like chrome. But with way less spyware the google tends to use it, and it will be probably better for battery life over time.

I'm trying to move myself away from google as much as I can :D

Reactions: BigMcGuire

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Honestly, I've used Edge for three months now, and can't see why anyone wouldn't want to use this browser. The UI is clean, it uses a lot less RAM than Chrome does, it's integrated into Windows, and the performance is great.

When I first started using it I found out Google purposely gimps Google services performance on Edge, namely Youtube. installed the Enhancer for Youtube extension and that solved that problem, and made me decide I'll never go back to Google services again with that sort of attitude and business practice.

I put Google & Facebook into the same category of trash companies that won't get my business.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
Been using it since it came out. So far its been pretty stable. The scrolling is better than I expected it to be already Seems just as fast at loading like previous edge browser.

Reactions: Valdna

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Wow, that's a lot, I wonder if the browser is less resource intensive then chrome.

That is what I am hoping. That it's less resource intensive and less intrusive. Edge has always been fairly lean on resources. It was always far better for battery life on my SP than Chrome.

I wish the list had done a better job of differentiating what was replaced rather than turned off, but I am sure more thorough details will be coming as it rolls out.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I will try to see how it affects my battery life. I have noticed since installing.... Before un settings-battery-see which app is using battery it had Edge being at 36% of battery consumption, after installing Chromium Edge it says 45% ofsure it was pulling from battery consumption. (Yes I made sure it was pulling from the Edge Dev. Now it say's I have multiple Edge installs as before it had never said that.)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm still not sold, even after seeing this video. So far it seems like a re-skinned Chrome browser, I'm not seeing any incentive to switch

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
I'm still not sold, even after seeing this video. So far it seems like a re-skinned Chrome browser, I'm not seeing any incentive to switch

As soon as they add tab sessions, integration with rest of MS services (like OneNote, etc.), you will be tempted. I plan on using Edge when I'm on battery power, since Vivaldi is a powerhorse, and behaves like one as well. But not straight away, I will give them time to implement some features they had before.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX

Bookmark sync to me alone is worth it. I have been using Edge since it was available and jumped to new edge when it became available. When I was on Mac I only used safari. Never found a reason feature on another browser to tempt. I will say edge chromium has been really stable so far and fast at rendering just like old edge was so never felt I lost anything.

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
Can`t understand the hate for the traditional Edge. Maybe coders don't have all their tools but otherwise is fast, light on resources and offers me excellent battery life on laptop.

Reactions: Never mind

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I just opened the same site in Chrome and Edge at the same time (launching both "from fresh"). Chrome used 311 MB of RAM, and Edge 165 MB. That's a good start!
yeah I have noticed it is much less resource intensive than chrome.
[doublepost=1558675252][/doublepost]
That's true. But right now is quite usable.
yeah it has come a long way. The good news is chromium edge is just as stable in my opinion and bug free. Its just missing a few features to be brought over.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I've been using the beta since it was released and am in love - but still want some of the features of the previous Edge integrated without needing extensions.

Also, I really wonder how long it will take for Google to close the door on Edge siphoning one of Chrome's greatest strengths by cutting off the two browser's extension cross-compatibility.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Also, I really wonder how long it will take for Google to close the door on Edge siphoning one of Chrome's greatest strengths by cutting off the two browser's extension cross-compatibility.

Lot's of browsers use chrome extensions. But even if google does that, it won't mean nothing, since it will take developers like 2mins to upload their extensions to Edge store or whatever it will be called.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.