Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Which version of Edge comes with Windows 1903 - is it the chromium based one?

I was able to import my chrome bookmarks but not saved passwords. I'm also unable to change the search engine from bing to google.

Queen6

macrumors G4

I was able to import my chrome bookmarks but not saved passwords. I'm also unable to change the search engine from bing to google.

Not Chromium as is Microsoft Edge 44, believe that the Chromium based browser will be Edge 75. Currently 1903 installs with Microsoft Edge 44.18362.1.0

Q-6

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX

Also the new builds allow you to finally sync bookmarks if you are using an android device. Don't know if thats relevant to you but it was driving me crazy lol.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I have been using the dev channel since it was released, to be honest I haven’t opened Chrome since spellcheck was enabled. Last night I installed it on my MacBook Pro, same experience I chose not to import keychain passwords, frankly a little surprised Apple would allow access. I use LastPass and the extension works fine on W10 and MacOS versions.

Reactions: derekamoss

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Finally!!! Seems like MS has got it right this time. Can't go wrong with Chromium.

I installed the beta on my Windows Desktop and MBP, and it runs flawless so far.

I doubt I'm going to stop using Chrome Browser anytime soon, but it's good to see MS will have a default browser that runs like it suppose to.

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
So far I am happy with Edge beta.. It's pretty darn stable!

@maflynn, I am sure you figured it out but you can change the search engine to Google. It's under Privacy and service >> Address bar

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
So far I am happy with Edge beta.. It's pretty darn stable!

@maflynn, I am sure you figured it out but you can change the search engine to Google. It's under Privacy and service >> Address bar
It's pretty much been stable since they started pushing canary builds. I have had chrome edge probably crash 1 or 2 times since its been out which is amazing considering the old edge would crash that many times in one week.

Reactions: raqball

Silvestru Hosszu

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2016
Europe
I updated today the old Edge to the new one on one of my laptops (Huawei Matebook X Pro).
I truly hate the new Edge.
First and foremost the scrolling is choppy as hell as on every other chromium based browser.
I ended installing Firefox...
I really miss the old Edge and carefully avoid the "upgrade" on my other computers.

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
I updated today the old Edge to the new one on one of my laptops (Huawei Matebook X Pro).
I truly hate the new Edge.
First and foremost the scrolling is choppy as hell as on every other chromium based browser.
I ended installing Firefox...
I really miss the old Edge and carefully avoid the "upgrade" on my other computers.
Honestly, I havent noticed a real difference in scrolling between the two. No choppiness here. Not saying your's isn't, but mine is pretty darn smooth.

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Updated my work laptop today and it works fine. Still sticking with Brave across all my platforms and mobile for now.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Working well on my SB2. I played with the betas as well. Doesn't "feel" any different than Chrome -- not as smooth as the original Edge but no better or worse than Chrome. I'm hoping it's a little more optimized for better battery life, so I'll give it a try for a few weeks and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.