Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
This is what I got (some redaction!):

Last login: Sat Nov 12 13:42:06 on ttys000
Apple-Core-i7-Fusion-iMac:~ ____$ /Volumes/Chromium\ Legacy\ Downloader/Uninstall.command ; exit;
launchctl remove error: No such process
rm: /Volumes/Mavericks: No such file or directory
rm: clone: No such file or directory
rm: 1/Applications/Chromium.app: No such file or directory
rm: 1/_CCC: No such file or directory
rm: Archives/2022-10-16: No such file or directory
rm: (October: No such file or directory
rm: 16): No such file or directory
rm: 21-01-51/Applications/Chromium.app: No such file or directory
rm: Archives/2022-09-13: No such file or directory
rm: (September: No such file or directory
rm: 13): No such file or directory
rm: 20-21-41/Applications/Chromium.app: No such file or directory
rm: Archives/2022-05-26: No such file or directory
rm: (May: No such file or directory
rm: 26): No such file or directory
rm: 20-16-00/Applications/Chromium.app: No such file or directory
rm: Archives/2021-12-10: No such file or directory
rm: (December: No such file or directory
rm: 10): No such file or directory
rm: 21-03-57/Applications/Chromium.app: No such file or directory

rm: /Users/____/Library/PreferencePanes/Chromium Legacy Downloader.prefPane: No such file or directory
logout

[Process completed]

It seems to have operated at the user level and on my external drives, but possibly not at root level?.
It looks like I screwed up path quoting in the uninstall script.

I'll fix that in a few days. In the meantime it sounds like you have a working Chromium Legacy.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
It looks like I screwed up path quoting in the uninstall script.

I'll fix that in a few days. In the meantime it sounds like you have a working Chromium Legacy.
Except that the uninstall script did actually remove the app! I'll use the zip file I downloaded previously and install it again.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Except that the uninstall script did actually remove the app! I'll use the zip file I downloaded previously and install it again.
Or you could try using the PrefPane which may work fine. :) I'm mostly confused as to why you don't have an Application Support folder.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Or you could try using the PrefPane which may work fine. :) I'm mostly confused as to why you don't have an Application Support folder.
Yeah. There is a Chromium folder in there, but all it has is a NativeMessagingHosts folder in it.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Just one more thing: like once before, there has been a change to the widevine plugin, which is not reflected in the latest build of Chrome. I can't play Amazon Prime video, nor stream ITV or Channel 4. It won't get into the no-longer-supported Firefox 78 either which means I can no longer stream any video or TV on my Mac.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
Just one more thing: like once before, there has been a change to the widevine plugin, which is not reflected in the latest build of Chrome. I can't play Amazon Prime video, nor stream ITV or Channel 4. It won't get into the no-longer-supported Firefox 78 either which means I can no longer stream any video or TV on my Mac.
Widevine won't work out of the box with the vanilla builds on Github, that's one of the things my PrefPane sets up. If you download via the PrefPane it should work, if that's working now.

And it should work if you have the latest version and ~/Library/Application Support/Chromium Legacy Downloader doesn't exist, since that's where recent versions of the PrefPane cache downloads.

Last edited:

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Widevine won't work out of the box with the vanilla builds on Github, that's one of the things my PrefPane sets up. If you download via the PrefPane it should work, if that's working now.
Yeah, that worked! It's now Chrome 107 not 109 but hey ho, that's not important :) :).

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
I'm on OS X 10.9.5 and trying Chromium Legacy but having some problems.

PDF files created from Chromium Legacy downloaded via your Chromium Downloader contain non-selectable, non-searchable text, probably because they are converted to outlines. And some images are missing.

Chromium Legacy downloaded directly from Github doesn't have this problem. Its own print settings will show up when you press Command-P and the OS X's print settings can be accessed by pressing Command-Option-P.

After installing the direct-from-Github Chromium Legacy, this problem went away. Perhaps some shared resources fixed it.

There is another problem. Try opening a new page, type in a word such as "command" slowly in the the Google's search box, after you type the "n", (if you type slowly enough) the cursor will jump back to the former character, resulting in "commadn" instead of "command".

command.jpg

Another example, "fundamental" will result in "fundmentala" since the cursor will jump back after you type the letter "a".

fundamental.jpg

If you want to try reproducing the problem, you should clear the Browsing history first to reset the search box's auto-completion.

A workaround for me is unchecking "Autocomplete searches and URLs" in Chromium's preferences > You and Google > Sync and Google services.

Both the the direct-from-Github version and the Chromium Downloader's version have this problem but Google Chrome works fine in this part.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
PDF files created from Chromium Legacy downloaded via your Chromium Downloader contain non-selectable, non-searchable text, probably because they are converted to outlines. And some images are missing.
Odd, I can't reproduce this. I tested by creating a PDF of this very page (ie page 11 of this thread).

There is another problem. Try opening a new page, type in a word such as "command" slowly in the the Google's search box, after you type the "n", the cursor will jump back to the former character, resulting in "commadn" instead of "command".
I tried reproducing this in incognito mode (to avoid having to clear my browser history) and could not. Does it happen to you in Incognito?

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
Odd, I can't reproduce this. I tested by creating a PDF of this very page (ie page 11 of this thread).

I tried reproducing this in incognito mode (to avoid having to clear my browser history) and could not. Does it happen to you in Incognito?
I think the PDF problem is complicated to reproduce.

I believe the search problem is easier (to reproduce), though.

The page in Incognito doesn't have the default Google search box.

I think you need to clear the history then. Because it only happens in the Google search box of the default new page, not in the google.com web page when you type in google.com in the address bar.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
I think you need to clear the history then. Because it only happens in the Google search box of the default new page, not in the google.com web page when you type in google.com in the address bar.
Ah, I see, I was using google.com.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to reproduce this even with a completely fresh Chromium profile.

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
It looks like you don't have the problem indeed. I tried it with a new profile but the problem persists.
Thanks for testing it out.

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
You mentioned it went away with stock bluebox chromium. So if this is reliably reproducible then the cause is one of the patches wowfunhappy added. Could just go through those and see which might contribute. IIRC they're pretty superficial though so it might be a fluke unless you can reproduce it?

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
I don't have these problems in 10.9.5 (though I would NEVER delete my search history anyway).

1. I use DuckDuckGo not Google and it doesn't reproduce the problem

2. I must admit I never create PDFs in Chromium EXCEPT in Writer View which is an extension as it doesn't come as standard in Chrome for some reason. I then use Cmd-P but instead of printing I choose Save As PDF....

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
There's a problem I've noticed with the last few versions of Chromium (though it may be my Mac?). There are occasions when a YouTube tab just endlessly sticks loading, even though the URL is there. When I switch to another tab - e.g. Facebook or Twitter - they won't load or refresh either, nor any other tabs.

I quit Chromium and relaunch, and everything is fine again - and remains so for the rest of the session.

Is it perhaps, that I allow Chromium access to my keychain and location, but I Deny the "Chromium helper.app" access because of previous kernel panics involving that app?.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
There's a problem I've noticed with the last few versions of Chromium (though it may be my Mac?). There are occasions when a YouTube tab just endlessly sticks loading, even though the URL is there. When I switch to another tab - e.g. Facebook or Twitter - they won't load or refresh either, nor any other tabs.
I've occasionally had tabs refuse to load for as long as I've been using Chromium Legacy, but it has never happened to every tab at once (and not only on Youtube). However, I don't think it has anything to do with Keychain Access—that doesn't make sense to me.

(On the other hand, I don't think denying Keychain Access is going to help with kernel panics. And those kernel panics should go away if you're using the kext that comes with the PrefPane.)

Unfortunately, I don't think it's going to be feasible to fix any issues which can't be consistently reproduced—I don't bother reporting them on Github, because I don't have any useful information to provide.

Last edited:

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
Last night I've downloaded the 1056107.tar.xz i.e. the Chromium version 105.6107 on Mac mini mid-2010 with my patched Mojave (10.14.6) and installed it. Today when I opened it, it displayed itself as Chromium-108.0.5346.0. I assume it updated itself automatically. If that is the case, how to turn off automatic updates? Did anybody else suffer from that problem before?

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Last night I've downloaded the 1056107.tar.xz i.e. the Chromium version 105.6107 on Mac mini mid-2010 with my patched Mojave (10.14.6) and installed it. Today when I opened it, it displayed itself as Chromium-108.0.5346.0. I assume it updated itself automatically. If that is the case, how to turn off automatic updates? Did anybody else suffer from that problem before?
My version says it's 108.0.5359.124, with automatic updates. I haven't had an update for a day or three...

How do you get Mojave? My 2011 iMac only goes to 10.13, though I run 10.9.5.

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
My version says it's 108.0.5359.124, with automatic updates. I haven't had an update for a day or three...

How do you get Mojave? My 2011 iMac only goes to 10.13, though I run 10.9.5.
I've just followed the instructions at macOS 10.14 Mojave on Unsupported Macs Thread
I remember installing it in December 2020 and I've been using it ever since. The one and only problem with the Mojave on a Mac mini mid-2010 is the slowness of the harddisk, i.e. you'd better install it on an SSD.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
I've just followed the instructions at macOS 10.14 Mojave on Unsupported Macs Thread
I remember installing it in December 2020 and I've been using it ever since. The one and only problem with the Mojave on a Mac mini mid-2010 is the slowness of the harddisk, i.e. you'd better install it on an SSD.
thank you for the link (OMG, 793 pages!!!) - my 2011 iMac has long had an SSD as its main drive.

Last edited:

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019

The bolded is incorrect. The build numbers don't correspond to the version numbers that way.

Build 1056107 is Chromium 108.0.5346.0. See on Github: https://github.com/blueboxd/chromium-legacy/releases/tag/1056107. So nothing updated, it is the version it always was.

But, why are you using Chromium Legacy on Mojave anyway? Just use normal Chromium.

Reactions: Amethyst1

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
The bolded is incorrect. The build numbers don't correspond to the version numbers that way.

Build 1056107 is Chromium 108.0.5346.0. See on Github: https://github.com/blueboxd/chromium-legacy/releases/tag/1056107. So nothing updated, it is the version it always was.

But, why are you using Chromium Legacy on Mojave anyway? Just use normal Chromium.
Ops. I didn't check the version number on the Github page actually, I just gathered from the filename.

As for why I don't use normal Chromium. I first downloaded and installed the latest version of Google Chrome on Mojave but it got stuck at the initial secreen, don't remember now it popped up a blank window and shut off later, it just didn't work.

MacBiter

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2021
Ops. I didn't check the version number on the Github page actually, I just gathered from the filename.

As for why I don't use normal Chromium. I first downloaded and installed the latest version of Google Chrome on Mojave but it got stuck at the initial secreen, don't remember now it popped up a blank window and shut off later, it just didn't work.
Had you previously used Legacy on that machine with an earlier OS ? If so, maybe Chrome in Mojave tried to use the same support folders (i.e. as Waterfox will use a Firefox folder if there) but they're not fully compatible with each other?.

aurora72

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Türkiye
Had you previously used Legacy on that machine with an earlier OS ? If so, maybe Chrome in Mojave tried to use the same support folders (i.e. as Waterfox will use a Firefox folder if there) but they're not fully compatible with each other?.
Nope, I had never used any version of Chrome on that Mojave Mac mini. Actually, I don't use any version of Chrome on any machine or OS. I am a long-term Firefox user. The sole reason I tried to install Chrome on Mojave was because I had to download the list of service / maintenance compaines at our natural gas provider's website and that list didn't come up even with the latest version of Firefox. Later they informed that it would come only on Google Chrome, what a shame:p So I installed the Chromium Legacy on Mojave and that damn list finally came up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.