Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarckyG

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2014
Germany
Hey all,

I recently got a new iMac and it came with High Sierra installed.
Previously I was on Sierra.
I use it combined with a Thunderbolt Display from Apple (damn... the difference in display quality...).

What's new to me is... the display brightness control doesn't work as it used to.
I used to press F1 and F2 to control the brightness on my iMac. Then press ctrl+F1 or F2 to control the brightness on my Thunderbolt Display.
But now... When I'm in a window on my iMac F1 and F2 control the iMac brightness and ctrl+F1/F2 controls the Thunderbolt Display brightness (as used to)
AND when I'm in a window on the Thunderbolt Display... F1 and F2 now control the brightness pf the secondary Thunderbolt Display and ctrl+F1/F2 controls the iMac's brightness.
So depending on which monitor I do something, the functions of F1/F2 and ctrl+F1/F2 change... this is confusing me and since the brightness and color of the Retina iMac and the Thunderbolt Display are so different... I change them constantly to adjust but I keep adjusting the wrong display because of this ...

Is that a normal behaviour in High Sierra (and maybe also Mojave) ?
If yes, how can I change it as it was MANY years before that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.