Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
SwitchRes and I do not have a cooperative history and any time I install it, it becomes a royal pain in the butt to get rid of it.
I see. It can be a bit irritating sometimes, yep. If you don’t want to risk your main system, you may be able set it up on another and hopefully copy the override file it creates for the custom mode to the main system, enabling the mode without needing to have it installed. I’ve never tried that though.

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The other day I had another 23" Cinema Display fail on me. My Mac Pro still sees it and is still sending signal to it, but the display power light is off and it is not displaying image. The power supply for that display is cold. I swapped power supplies to test and no change.
That your system sees the displays are detected suggests the data from the displays are still getting power to self-check and announce what they are to anything connected to them.
I've just tested hooking up my 20" ACD to my 2011 MBP using only DVI, without the PSU connected to the display: The Mac still sees it. So Erik's scenario sounds like the display isn't getting any power despite the PSU being OK, which could mean e.g. a faulty display power cable or a blown fuse, if the ACDs have one. In any case, disassembly is required to get to the bottom of this.

IMG_0799.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.