Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
Hmm...now that we're talking about the iPhone...er...whatever Apple's going to name it...I wonder if it would have free laser engraving if it turns out to have an aluminum backside...

I saw posts about "MacPhone" for the name. That seems like a perfect fit, seeing as there's "Mac Pro", "MacBook", "MacBook Pro", "Mac Mini"...maybe they should have the network MacTalk. Sorry if someone else thought of "MacTalk"; I didn't read all 130 posts :eek:

From a consumer standpoint, naming it "Mac" probably wouldn't be a good idea. Most people would think its a phone that can only be used with a Mac...no joke.

classof2011

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2006
Flying with American Airlines
PS: This is the first picture I ever saw of iPhone, back on Gizmodo.com . It was this that made me fall in love with Apples, and out of the world of Windows....

Here it is

Attachments

• iphone.jpg
    iphone.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 87

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Same here with my Nokia, so we can say that iSync is great, phone interfaces not so, I agree with LostPacket, iPod Mobile is much more plausible than iPhone.

Huh?

I have an iPod, and it's already mobile. What do I want the "Mobile" version of it for? Is it going to grow legs and start running around on its own? Cause that might be cool for the first few minutes, but I suspect it would get old pretty fast!

I'm personally partial to "iPod chat". But that's probably just the drugs kicking in again :)

pyramid6

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
Fallout for Gizmodo

Yeah, we knew it was too good to be true, we just hoped they had some insider information. All they did was, one: prove that they don't know anything new that people care about, two: they are willing to insult their userbase to get a good laugh/few page hits.

They could call it the macPod. Damn that is dumb.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Although I thought the announcement was funny, Gizmodo has lost some of its (already small) credibility in my eyes.

It had no credibility in my eyes, which is probably why this whole stunt got nothing but a shrug from me.

I mean, has Gizmodo been right about anything? He's taken several jabs at Apple of late, and I took this as just yet another. If I recall, the first or second comment on his "iPhone Monday" post pretty much said what I thought any reasonable thinking person would think: this is a joke, and it's probably some Taiwanese rip-off company releasing their abomination on Monday. Turns out that was a bit more cynical than necessary (Cisco/Linksys are actually legitimate companies).

Anyway, the net difference here for me is that "iPhone" is no longer valid shorthand for the eventual Apple offering, so we've got to decide on something else to call it.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Mac Mobile.

not to be confused with MacMan 's mode of transport.

They have to go heads up with the idea that mac's don't interface well. and i wouldnt mind if it only worked with macs at first. i really wouldnt. it happens the other way already, people could cope. the only problem would arise when they DID make it operable on windows comps. people would still think it was mac only.

no pdas or smartphones really interface well with mac os x. i mean, REALLY well and elegantly.

kddpop

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
...walked out with a new handset, activated and all my settings transfered. Thats convenience. I could have done all that myself, but it only took them 20 minutes in store. Thats what I like to call seamless integration. What Steve like to have on his products. Walking in, picking up a phone and knowing exactly what your going to pay per month and walking otu with a working phone is great, one store one stop.

i agree that this seamlessness is very apple. but why does this preclude an unlocked phone from apple. apple makes things easy. apple makes things so that i don't have to rely on "experts" to do them. the type of things my parents (both over 60) pay to have a windows guru over to fix are simply user-fixable on a mac. heck, apple has already addressed an issue similar to the one you describe....buying a new computer and transferring all your data...

hook new computer up to old computer via firewire....and the new computer (after asking permission of course) grabs all the necessary doodads from the old. easy peasy. its a mac. it just works. the phone could work the same way. old phone is backed up to computer via isync. you get a new phone (either by purchase to stay on top of the "latest greatest" or as a warranty replacement). you plug the new phone into the computer and "boom"....all the contacts from address book, all email from mail, all buddies from ichat, all bookmarks from safari/firefox/all pictures from iphoto/photobooth. all instantly and quickly in your shiney new phone.

unlocked is the way to go. its actually more simple than a phone tied to some arcane contract or oppressive telcom service.

just my thoughts,
~kyle

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Newton it is for the smart-phone the most mythical name in computing. Who wants an iphone in their pocket anyway. It's like icomputer icar. Anyhow, I think the newton was actually just the OS so bringing back the Newton would be impossible, it was I believe the messagepad. I am sure Apple has dozens of names trademarked that they aren't using. Look at the ipod, they had that trademarked since 1988 or something and only in 2000 was it brought out of storage.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
it will be called Mac pod. and then the new zune will be called micro zune :p
first there will be mac pod then mac pod pro ;) . it makes $en$e :p

JonMan

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
I just want to know ONE reason why you're all so sure that Apple is even working on a phone?

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
A mobile is what most people in the world call a cell phone (they aren't really "cellular" anymore, are they). Thus, mobile in this context is a noun.

I don't know about "most people in the world", but I do know that I never call a cell phone a "mobile". 'Course, I never call it a "mobile phone" either, or for that matter "wireless phone", as it is clumsier to say and needlessly more vague (I've got several "mobile phones" in that even the old plug-in-the-wall kind moves around; I've also got a 5.8GHz wireless phone at home).

In fact, to make this descend all the way to the dictionary-duel depths at which it must necessarily end: I just looked it up in my OS X dictionary and, it turns out, the two definitions are:

(adjective) (the one we all know and love: something that can move)
(noun) a decorative structure that is suspended so as to turn freely in the air.

Hmm. Yeah, I don't think "mobile" as common replacement for the noun group "cell phone" has quite made it as far as you think it has.

Nyah!

But I still go for a Newton rebirth.

Mmmmmm ... Apple Newtons ....

icon_newtons.gif

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Hmm. Yeah, I don't think "mobile" as common replacement for the noun group "cell phone" has quite made it as far as you think it has.

Nyah!

In the UK, 'Cell Phone' is never used to describe a mobile phone. They're either 'phones' or 'mobiles.'

To put things in context ;)

MA.

(P.S. In German, they're Handys)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I find it funny that so many people are rating this negatively - and it's almost assuredly just because it's not the Apple phone. Sometimes people here are so fickle! :D We're less than a month away from MWSF, and folks seriously expected a brand new product announcement from Apple... in mid-December?

Phones that work seamlessly across both cell networks and available 802.11 networks are likely the next big thing. It's not like Cisco just came up with this idea - other companies are working on this as well; it's been talked to death for the last year or two (just not on Mac rumor sites).

AppliedVisual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2006
Recent patent applications.

...Since when does that mean anything? ...Especially with Apple. They're always continuously applying for patents on all sorts of things, often referencing hardware designs that are several years old. It's a smokescreen and a way for them to patent certain minor concepts or ideas that may translate to new products eventually. However, there have been no real indicative signs that Apple is indeed producing a phone product. So far there has been nothing to substantiate any of the recen rumors on pricing and specs. At this point it wouldn't surprise me one way or another if they release a phone or not. Personally, I think it could be a good product for Apple, but it better run a mobile version of OSX with suppoort for iChat, iPhoto, iCal, Mail, etc.. Obviously, I can sync it with my Mac (something most other smartphone models can't do) and I can use it with iTunes just as I would use my iPod. I should be able to use iTunes content for sounds and ringtones without extra fees and restrictions. ...If a carrier cripples the phone and locks out any of those features, I won't buy it. If it doesn't have all those features, I won't buy it. I know I'm not alone in this thinking -- Apple has a tough road ahead for such a product. Like I said, it could be a great market for them and will be tough to get into it. In the end, it may not be worth it for Apple due to the way many carriers work... Sure, there are lots of options for unlocked phones, especially in the Euro market, but that is not normal on a global scale and most phones out there are still sold as part of a subsidized plan and have various features crippled in some way.

Enigmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2006
Who cares?

Frankly I didn't care much about the "iPhone rumor" anyway.

But look at it this way, guys.

Apple has been putting more time and effort into LEOPARD!!!! :D :)

We'll certainly find out on January 9, 2007. Only 23 days to go!

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
...Since when does that mean anything?

Quite right :)

I was just adding 'one point'.

There are a whole host of small details that have made up the iPhone rumours, and whether it's true or not, there's enough out there to get a rumour site buzzing.

But yes- don't always trust the patents.

MA.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
Thats why I don't think there will be an unlocked phone. As much as we all might want it, its just not as easy or convenient for the Average American, this is not to say that the Avg. Amer. lacks intelligence and couldn't figure it out, the question is do they want to? Case in point: my Sprint Treo got the LCD busted the other day when i smashed my belt clip.(dont ask I know I'm an idiot)
I took it over to the local Sprint Store and told them what happened and with the insurance on my plan (5 extra a month) walked out with a new handset, activated and all my settings transfered. Thats convenience.

Okay, you lost me. How, exactly, would an unlocked cell phone preclude any of these from happening:

* Sprint selling the phone in their stores. Or Verizon, Cellular One, er, Cingular, etc?
* Any of the above and/or third parties who also sell the phone from providing walk-in-servicable warrantees?
* For that matter, Apple providing their own walk-in-service warrantee (let's call it "AppleCare"!)?

And, let me state for the record that the whole racket of "transfering" your address book, etc, from your phone is a needless pain in the ass. I'd much rather my phone properly sync with my computer, which is where my actual address book and calendar reside. Then, getting a new phone should be nothing more than ditching the old one and syncing the new one to my computer instead. The primary bit of information lost doing this today are speed-dials. Which just seems silly: why isn't that information sync'ed over as well? Sigh.

In any case, I'd expect an Apple phone to sync all its data and settings to my Mac flawlessly, so I don't need the Sprint store to use its magical device (also known as a personal computer with a sync cable) to do it for me. Doesn't help getting everything off whatever POC I currently have, but at least it'll help when time to upgrade two or three years hence.

I think that Apple will follow the Razr model in terms of how that was released. That first went to Cingular as a exclusive phone and then a year later was placed in other service providers. Because of Sprint and Verizons large market share, CDMA is not something they can ignore, just like placing the iPod on windows. We all know the mac is better but we need to give all people a chance to use it. (excpet here in the states CDMA is the better one right now).

I just don't see Apple getting into the phone business just to be a "me too" phone manufacturer. It's just not exciting enough for Steve, IMHO, and not rewarding enough for the bean counters. The cell phone market as it exists today is remarkably mature. I can see Apple getting in in two scenarios:

1. They transform it completely via product offering.
2. They transform it completely as a business model.

I'm not sure how any of the designs being bounced around here could qualify in the first case. Everything's been done before.

What excites me is Apple taking a marginal win on the first (I know they can do a marginal win there) and using it to force a major win on the second (making the cell phone manufacturer the chief brand identity when talking about a cell phone, not the company that owns the towers). No commitment discounts. No lock-in. No crippling of hardware to force network usage (I'm looking at you, Verizon!)

If this succeeds, then we can start seeing true multi-media phones and devices where the media doesn't need to come through the phone network, where "ringtones" are no different from any other music you own, where in short the phone is an integral part of the rest of your gadget repertoire instead of an island protected by the company with whom you signed an 'n'-year contract.

If apple wanted to run their own network, they could, but they would have to wait 2 years to see the kinds of numbers that they would be looking for as "success". Most people are in contracts, and don't just jump ship to a new provider who they know nothing about (service wise) it would take 2 years for enough people to be released from their contracts. In cases like mine, I have an excellent contract with sprint, and I have had it for 5 years now. Since I keep re upping the contract, they can't raise my rates, or charge me other fees. There are many people in contracts like that who wouldn't want to sign with Apple because it might be more expensive.

Question: you re-up your contract after two years (and, believe me, Sprint is NOT under any obligation to re-up the contract; they do it because they make money off you!) Do you get any kind of discount on a new phone at that time? Or, do you just buy new phones whenever you feel like it?

See, my experience is this: people don't buy new phones except when that contract runs out. Then, they can either get a $200 subsidy/discount by jumping to another company, or settle for the $0-100 discount their company offers for re-upping for another 2 years. Maybe I just hang around with cell-phone cheapskates, but that's the pattern I see.

Seems like, in general, the cell phone market is on a 2-year upgrade cycle, and Apple wouldn't necessarily be any exception to this. Of course, this isn't all that different from the MP3-player market or computer market either, and Apple seems to be doing okay in both of those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.