Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lunja

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
....and all the cars have "boots" and "bonnets" too which is obviously so much more intuitive than the way it's done in NA.

A bonnet goes on the head in much the same way a hood does, and both appear at the head of a car, so they're both in the same area ;)

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Not a double negative, just redundant.

Or 'tautological'.

Either way, iPod-mobile is not a great name.

I'd be happy with iChat-Mobile, personally.

Just not MacPhone Pro, or Safari-Newton-Mac-Sync-X.

If the thing exists, that is.

MA.

Lunja

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
Yes, that's my point; both "mobile" and "cellphone" describe the same thing.

Ahh, sorry. Anyway, I started wondering why we call it the boot, and found this:

The term "boot" in this sense is simply the British equivalent of our car "trunk," and originally (back around 1608) referred to the step along the side of a carriage where the servants sat or stood. The term "boot" was later applied to the luggage or cargo compartment of a coach, and then logically carried over to the luggage compartment of automobiles

rubberduck007

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2006
London
I like it, but I'm rooting for "AirPod". Infact, I'm going to exert intellectual copyright over that. Steve, if you want it, make mine an iMac (I'm not greedy you see:rolleyes: )

EDIT: Oh, and a 0.1% share of profits would be nice:)
EDIT AGAIN: Or WiPod, as in Wireless iPod.

WiiPod is a connector for Wii to iPod, coming in March 2007

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
It's looking like Apple's iPhone is now the eWorld...??

As of midnight tonight, and not before (I searched through midnight to be sure), a google search for "iphone" is now taking you to eWorld.com which comes up as the apple.com homepage with "eworld.com" as the url. No redirect.

Is it the Apple eWorld, then? Hmmmm....

-S

It *could* be that Apple just has a page for all of its old products - eWorld was their branded version of AOL in the early 90's. That's more likely than they'd use a 90's naming convention for a new product.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Newton.

Prediction: Apple will bring back the Newton, using that name for the new mobile handset.

Makes perfect sense, since the Newton does what the AMH is rumored to do, save make calls (and run a mini OS X).

Hope they bring the Newton back, anyway.

Humble pie isn't vegetarian, so Steve won't eat it.

I don't care what they call it if they have Newton handwriting recognition in it. Inkwell just sucks and I don't understand why. I don't think it's my Wacom tablet.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Unlocked phones

Cool, maybe Apple is going to use its market clout to force the issue of unlocked phones. They would be ones to understand the awful situtation that exists today.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I don't think it will be called "iPhone" Just like iTv will not be called "iTv"

Eh yeah, like the original story mentions Cisco owns the iPhone brand name, so that's kind of obvious. They won't call the home entertainment machine iTV because its too close to Elgato's EyeTV! Both would be guaranteed to cause lawsuits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.